Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can the 300 handle a stronger motor?

I hear a lot about the main shaft shearing off and other things.

Could this thing handle a stronger motor?

Is it even worth upgrading the motor?

Trex 900 DFC Ultra Combo OS HZ 195 Hyper , Goblin 1200 84S Flybared
Scotty T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty T View Post

AFAIK, the shaft isn't shearing off (when a shaft does break) due to motor torque. It seems to be more related to some type of flexing issue.

I'll leave it at that, except to note I haven't had a shaft breaking problem, but some guys have.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a 2213-14 working just fine.

I did snap a mainshaft when I first installed it.. but it was almost certainly due to vibration caused by other things.

Since a rebuild (last week) with a Lynx frame brace I have about 25 flights (4-5mins) @3400 rpm and no problems.

It's a different heli with a better motor. Smoother, quieter, higher rpms, more powerful... less buzz and more woosh!

I wouldn't try putting too much power through that shaft but it seems to be able to handle a bit if everything else (vibrations mostly) is ok
xpantz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

YMMV and I can only speak for myself, but I would respond yes to both questions. I have about 85 flights now on the Don's Wicked RC motor that Dylan sells and it's a great improvement IMHO. I'm currently running it with a HiModel Cool 33a ESC that Dylan put together for me for testing but I've also run it with a Castle Phoenix 25 and Park BEC. I think both of those ESC choices are nice improvements over stock because of the governor capability.

My only personal experience with a broken shaft is the one crash that my 300x has sustained. Other than that, mine have held up well although I'm not suggesting others haven't experienced problems as they clearly have. I have flown either Dylan's braces or now the Lynx braces since I've owned the heli so I'm unsure whether Blade has made the issue better or whether the braces have helped that. Either way, mine is working well.

As far as the Wicked 4800kv motor, it's better balanced, quieter, and has a noticeable increase in power and torque when governed compared to stock and well worth the money IMHO. They're a bit hard to come by based upon the size of both Don's and Dylan's shops but they're a great motor. Others seem to have good results with a couple of different Scorpion motors but I haven't tried them personally so I can't make a recommendation on them personally.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So is there a drop in replacement that someone can recommend?

I don't want to get caught up in modding, expensive upgrades, etc. I'd be willing to swapping out the motor and the esc.

Thoughts?

Trex 900 DFC Ultra Combo OS HZ 195 Hyper , Goblin 1200 84S Flybared
Scotty T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

I don't want to get caught up in modding, expensive upgrades, etc. I'd be willing to swapping out the motor and the esc.

Thoughts?
The Wicked is almost a direct drop in. All you need to do is direct solder it in or add your own bullet connectors. And if you order one from Dylan, it'll come with a 9T and a 10T pinion.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris G,

I just got around to installing the Wicked motor with the YEP 45a esc. I was hoping to have more power than stock, but honestly, I think I have less oomph now. I have it governed at 85%.

Trying to figure out what isn't right here...

What throttle speed are you governing at?
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixfisto View Post
Chris G,

I just got around to installing the Wicked motor with the YEP 45a esc. I was hoping to have more power than stock, but honestly, I think I have less oomph now. I have it governed at 85%.

Trying to figure out what isn't right here...

What throttle speed are you governing at?
Make sure your throttle endpoints are good. I made this mistake with my Ice Lite, and I was running about 65-70% rpm with 100% throttle. The thing was a total dog. Got it sorted out and it's much better. 80-85% feels about like stock did at 100%.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Thoughts?
Why change at all? The stock motor and ESC work fine, unless you are looking for something else.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Marty... I'm pretty sure now that I didn't set up the ESC correctly. Will retry the setup and try again.

Ahahn, the reason I got the Wicked motor and YEP esc, is that my motor basically vibrated itself to death...and my esc broke on a heavy crash. I replaced the stock parts with much better aftermarket parts and also saved money doing so
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L88 View Post
Make sure your throttle endpoints are good. I made this mistake with my Ice Lite, and I was running about 65-70% rpm with 100% throttle. The thing was a total dog. Got it sorted out and it's much better. 80-85% feels about like stock did at 100%.
Definitely +1 on the endpoints as I've fought the same fight with my Phoenix 25 prior to switching to the HiModel. It should be a noticeable difference in pop on a 10T pinion. I'm running a different ESC but I believe my IU2 where I tend to fly it at is set at 85%. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in