Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Default Grounding ESC to motor frame test

Ok, here is a comparison scope reading of before and after grounding the zero wire from the ESC to the motor mount/frame. The probe is off a 1.5" stray wire placed about 0.5" away from the frame near where I place my reciever. As you can see for the pictures, without grounding the frame, it emmits a high frequecny noise.

I'm not saying that this mod. will solve your brown-out/lockout problem, just thoughing it out there for those that are curious.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Probe1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	37655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	37656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Not_GND1.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	37657   Click image for larger version

Name:	GND1.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	37658  

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!

Last edited by fireup; 02-07-2008 at 10:00 PM..
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very interesting. I may have to ground my boom just in case.

Thanks for the testing fireup.
Ken
Nyther is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i spoke with anthony (aberdeen) himself and we talked about this for an hour on the phone. ill give it a shot.
Jason Chow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Fireup!

Mine sure is flying rock steady now- maybe that wire helped me.

My boom to frame wire made no improvement, but I've had no problem since the gyro tape, metal tail hex posts & grounding Neg Batt/esc to motor mount.
rob-atl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Fireups testing is flawed,
will post proper measurments
BEC and everything to tickle BOB pink.
Aberdeen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Correctly measured

First pic, shows without Ground wire Mod to motor mount.
With the wire, mothing to see all thisMtor ESC noise is gone.

Second one shows BEC noise level with ground wire mod to motor mount. Flatline...
Amazing for a switch mode BEC.

Third pic shows BEC without groundwire to engine mount, slight switching noise is present, very hard to capture. very hard to determin actual switching freq. of the BEC.... very impressive..

BEC current consuption using 3 Hitec on cyclics and CSM Gyro and a 9257 tail servo,
all servos Idle .25 amp, all servos Stalled , initial peak of 4 amps, then drops quickly to 3.5 max.

Max current of BEC at various voltage levels i will do tommorow if i do not sleep the whole day.

I do belive the BEC is more than enought to supply enough current.
However, the BEC wire that feeds the reciever is very low gauge.
Using JR HD servo wire will prevent loss of voltage and/or current.

Do I think BEC was a problem? (brownouts), Not at all,if all radio gear is 100% in working order, and/or unless ESC was defective or damaged from prior crash.

to be continued..
Attached Images
File Type: bmp TEK00000.BMP (301.1 KB, 401 views)
File Type: bmp TEK00001.BMP (301.1 KB, 283 views)
File Type: bmp TEK00002.BMP (301.1 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aberdeen, please describe exactly how you are measuring the signal, as what you have told me on the phone does not seem like the proper way to measure EMI noise emitting from the motor.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
Fireups testing is flawed,
will post proper measurments
BEC and everything to tickle BOB pink.
You sure have your own way of saying things ...:o

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireup View Post
Aberdeen, please describe exactly how you are measuring the signal, as what you have told me on the phone does not seem like the proper way to measure EMI noise emitting from the motor.
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']First, you guys got me running around like a kid in high school, like doing a science project, searching for documentation to back my work. I present some proof, BOB turns in to a weirdo, asking me where the DATA?, then I have freaking BOB ACCUSING me setting up shop here to peddle Align CF blades, on the side with some type of Interior motive in my mind. Now I have YOU asking me how to use your Sillyscope!????????

Hot Tip!
Sign up for some electronic classes at your local school, when they get to the part of "how to use a Oscilloscope", Learn it, then drop out!

You do not even know how to measure current, voltage drop, or even Voltage!
Then I try to tell how to do something, and then you argue with me! WTF!!

Here is another TIP!
Google: Mauimods.com; Mauimods; Maui mods; Aberdeencomponents.com, Aberdeen Components, and see what you will find!

What you will find, I am one of the highest regarded high end audio refiners in the world. In many different countries audiophile forums, and all kinds of languages, you will read numerous rave reviews of my work. These people pay several thousands of dollars per unit for me to mod their gear. And I am here arguing with KIDS with toy helicopters! Go figure! .......enough already!

You fixed your heli with an outboard BNC and I am very happy for you.
Apparently this is not your problem, so why are you so concerned with it?
Go fly your little heli already! Enjoy!

Anthony[/FONT]
Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
JC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
... What you will find, I am one of the highest regarded high end audio refiners in the world. In many different countries audiophile forums, and all kinds of languages, you will read numerous rave reviews of my work. These people pay several thousands of dollars per unit for me to mod their gear. And I am here arguing with KIDS with toy helicopters! Go figure! .......enough already!

You fixed your heli with an outboard BNC and I am very happy for you.
Apparently this is not your problem, so why are you so concerned with it?
Go fly your little heli already! Enjoy!

Anthony
Are we supposed to be impressed? I'm not.

Why does there have to be this nasty tone to all of your posts?
It seems like you really don't like it here that much.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
JC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team Tostada Member

Jeez, I thought I was at HeliFreak, not that otheRR place!
Anyway, whether measured correctly or not Fireup's test still shows a significant difference-even if it's got nothing to do with the brownouts. Simple enough mod to make, no need to get your panties in a wad.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeez Anthony, lay off. If you can't communicate in a normal way, then please just shut up!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am impressed with Aberdeens qualifications. I also appreciate him using his knowledge to help us with the problems we are seeing with the T-rex 500.

It is often a natural human reaction to become defensive when constantly doubted and grilled about a subject that you know extremely well.

Bob
Bayward is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Gee Aberdeen - Most people that I ever met that had to tell everyone how great they were ------ weren't. I guess its time for you to leave here as you are so much above the rest of us. I only retired after designing some of the chips in your little 'sillyscope', course I'm no match for you!! We'll miss you !!!! --- NOT

Oh and BTW your sure fire solution failed on BT's bird....
Tonye53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

And I am here arguing with KIDS with toy helicopters! Go figure! .......enough already!
Anthony
How should we know that you are not one of the kids, when you are acting like one?

Respectfully

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward View Post
I am impressed with Aberdeens qualifications. I also appreciate him using his knowledge to help us with the problems we are seeing with the T-rex 500.

It is often a natural human reaction to become defensive when constantly doubted and grilled about a subject that you know extremely well.

Bob
All very well, but still no reason to talk like he does. Believe me, he's helping no one like that. It's not even being on the defense, but simply lack of communication skills.

I find his threatening and patronizing tone extremely annoying, and I don't think I'm the only one here. He doesn't leave a stone unturned to make some stupid remark against somebody else, which shows a lack of respect.

And if you treat people that way, be ready to get it back...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, every scientific journal I have ever read, or been published in, requires that you specify the exact methods and equipment used to that others may duplicate your work and see if they get the same results.

And that you provide the DATA, not just the conclusion.

No methods, no data, no facts,. only hypothesis.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to side with Aberdeen. He did come up with a fix that may fix peeps hellis. but all this need to know info is a bit much. And to call this him and then spew this $hi+, what a joke. his test and repair was spelled out in the first post. its has been posted on 5 different forums and now all of a sudden it his fault that it didnt fix mr x's helli. Well to bad, figure out his problem and leave this guy alone. I ed be piss too. Ungrateful XXXXers And If I dont say this 2.4 stuff and all the brown outs and failsafes and who know what else aint worth the problem if you got to replace and run 8.0v servos and and sat rxs , what a waste of time and $ just so you dont have to wait for a fellow club member to fly, or get a freq pin I ll stick to my 72 mhz
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I know I asked for proof on the grounding through the bearings deal but it was not because I doubted. I just wanted an explanation other than " its fact".

When you have people that enjoy the spotlight, your always going to have confict when there is more than one person in the light. Generally the response is to discredit the other persons theory or fact in order to get back some of that light.

Fireup on the other hand seems to be genuine in his efforts and not looking for anything other than the answer.

Thanks to everyone helping though, just learn to accept other ideas and not shoot down everything just because you didnt think of it.
Socal500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

I wonder is just using a different ESC would eliminate this whole problem. I know a guy using a CC ESC, and he's never had one single glitch on his Trex 500, and he uses no mods of any kind.

Even if there was a ESC cutout, the reciever should still be able to function normally when using a BEC. But there's reports that people are getting radio lockout. Can it be maybe also that the Align ESC maybe is sending also some type of surge through the throttle wire conneted to the reciever causing the reciever to reboot? I'm not saying this is it, but just a thought. I am no expert, or near close.

I know when my ESC's have gone bad in other heli's, I still have control of the heli and can control it for a quick landing. But when my reciever shuts down, I loose all control, causing a quick crash.
brovic777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in