Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Next Addition To The NX Series Confirmed!!

A new nitro is has been confirmed. The size is not known yet but Bobby Watts has confirmed they have been working on one and it is due for release at the end of this year or early next year.

You can listen to the full interview with Bobby Watts at www.allthingsthatfly.com podcast.

I am interested to see what they have in store.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

NX5! OS57 swinging 520's using the X5/X4II drivetrain?

Much more likely to be an NX7 though.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah...Im thinking NX7.

I would be more interested in an NX5 based on the X5 though.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

After the fiasco that has been the NX4? I've spent more time on this heli fixing it than flying it this season. The problems have been in regard to materials used and parts quality control. Would I buy another Gaui anything..? Probably not. I think I'll let someone else do the testing this time. The NX4 is no doubt fun to fly... When I wasn't changing weak clutches, loose swash-plates, wobbly clutch-bells, or poor quality bearings. Not to mention the problems that others had with pitch-sliders and tail-hubs. I've had to buy two kits to keep one heli flying and the truth is that I could have bought and flown a 600 sized heli for what this one has cost me. As I have said before Gaui's only saving grace in my eyes has been the customer support that I have received from JC. In short, I couldn't care less about what Gaui and Bobby Watts are planning to release. Sorry to rain on the parade, but in the time and money I've spent on the NX4 I think I've earned the right to voice my honest humble opinion.
jclutch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, I must have got so lucky with my NX4, I had no idea about all the problems with it. I guess I haven't been on the Nx4 forum that much due to no problems:-) I have been thrashing the crap out of mine for few months now and just keeps on taking it. Personally I hope for a 700 nitro, so can swap "most" parts with the x7. On the other hand a 600 would be good, so I can replace the Compass 3d+, but that would be a tough call:-)
It's soooooo good to see a company still paying attention to nitro, who ahhhh... and I love the reaction to my NX4 where ever I take it:-)
flyingkiwi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi View Post
Wow, I must have got so lucky with my NX4, I had no idea about all the problems with it. I guess I haven't been on the Nx4 forum that much due to no problems:-) I have been thrashing the crap out of mine for few months now and just keeps on taking it. Personally I hope for a 700 nitro, so can swap "most" parts with the x7. On the other hand a 600 would be good, so I can replace the Compass 3d+, but that would be a tough call:-)
It's soooooo good to see a company still paying attention to nitro, who ahhhh... and I love the reaction to my NX4 where ever I take it:-)

feel the same about my nx4. after 5 gallons, im replacing my rear bearing, and a failed fan hub. so in about 80 flights thats all ive ever had to replace. love mine. its my "go to" heli. my x5 is collecting dust

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm with dodgeboy here, my NX4 has been great, even getting it second hand. Some people have bad runs with some models, but that can be applicable to nearly any model out there.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back to the topic at hand... a NX5 would be awesome!!
SMJT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMJT View Post
It would fit with the "NX" series theme of putting a bigger engine on a smaller airframe. OS37, typically swinging 550's, on an airframe swinging 425's with the NX4. OS57, typically swinging 600mm blades, swinging 520's for an NX5.

I guess it depends on if they consider the NX4 a success in terms of profitability if they want to continue with that theme.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaofos View Post
It would fit with the "NX" series theme of putting a bigger engine on a smaller airframe. OS37, typically swinging 550's, on an airframe swinging 425's with the NX4. OS57, typically swinging 600mm blades, swinging 520's for an NX5.

I guess it depends on if they consider the NX4 a success in terms of profitability if they want to continue with that theme.
I diffidently think it is the way forward for nitros higher power to weight ratios. If they bring out an NX5 with 50 sizes engine in it I am getting one for sure
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I diffidently think it is the way forward for nitros higher power to weight ratios. If they bring out an NX5 with 50 sizes engine in it I am getting one for sure

I want one as well. I think maybe a 520-550mm sized bird with a .55ish sized motor might just be the perfect heli.
Bigugly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

id get one for sure and put a ys60sr in it.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm with SMJT on this one; would love the power to weight ratio on a NX5 swinging 556 Rails
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope it is going to be a lightweight 700...
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was just talking to a Gaui Team Member about that idea last night! I'd get an NX5 in a heartbeat!

A Main Hobbies/ProTekRC Field Rep
Spartan RC Field Rep
Todd Moriarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think the only nitro I would be interested in is a NX5.

The 700 size drink too much fuel for me.

I wonder if an NX5 would swing 550 or 525 blades? Hmmm...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

We can only guess at that stage but wouldn't they go with a big bird (600+ blades) to differentiate from the NX4 and come back to intermediate sizes later (500-550 blades)?
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RontaryUS View Post
We can only guess at that stage but wouldn't they go with a big bird (600+ blades) to differentiate from the NX4 and come back to intermediate sizes later (500-550 blades)?
Most companies do that but this is Gaui we are talking about they don't follow the same old path like everyone else, that being said I may eat my words when Gaui does there announcement and it turns out to be a 700
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Most companies do that but this is Gaui we are talking about they don't follow the same old path like everyone else, that being said I may eat my words when Gaui does there announcement and it turns out to be a 700
New nitro's can go two routes, really: try to compete with the already massive and proven market of standard .50 and .90 size nitro birds, or try to do something different and unique.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess, to my thinking, going with a 550 size with a .50 engine, or even something like an NX6 (600 blades with a .90+ engine) would give a power to weight ratio that can compete with an electric of the same class and still give awesome flight times. That, and a 500-550 is perfect for my normal flight area.

Any design is always a compromise, but in these cases, the little bit of size you give up would be outweighed by the performance increase.

A Main Hobbies/ProTekRC Field Rep
Spartan RC Field Rep
Todd Moriarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in