Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X7

X7 Discussion and support of the Gaui X7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I will need to make this mod soon. What green loctite is used for this application?

I have used Loctite 609 before, is that what is used here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAbles View Post
The mod is still required on the newest kits. I use the gaui red locktite and the gaui grease which works great. I have modded 5 of these now. They are all still going.
Did you use red loctite on the sleeve or on the set screws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

red/blue are for threaded fasteners. Green is for retaining tight fitting parts like bearings into bores.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
red/blue are for threaded fasteners. Green is for retaining tight fitting parts like bearings into bores.
Right, that is what I understood too, so going back to the type, will the 609 be sufficient or should I be looking at a different green loctite type?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

290 locktite works great. It is a friction fit so technically you need the green for 1/1000 or less tolerance.

This is an easy mod. If you use a heat gun and a press it falls out like butter.
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: X7 one way mod

648 i used.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello

I have bought the "upgrade one way" and have 10 flights without SLIPPING by 2200 rpm.

Should I still do this mod? Do you recommend it?

Hc3SX
HC3SX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would.. I think eventually it will slip. I did one at the first build and one when it started slipping.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

The factory does not assemble it with locktite and there are no flats for the set screws. It will slip at some point. It's a potential crash waiting to happen IMHO.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAbles View Post
The factory does not assemble it with locktite and there are no flats for the set screws. It will slip at some point. It's a potential crash waiting to happen IMHO.
+1 its easy to do. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I really need to take mine apart again and make sure the previous owner put flats on it.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Took mine apart last night and the previous owner did not add the flats. So, I added them and reassembled everything. Then I realized I forgot to green locktite it.

There was a lot of... junk in between the liner and the ... hub? I wonder if my unit was slipping and making me think my gov was performing very poorly.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
Took mine apart last night and the previous owner did not add the flats. So, I added them and reassembled everything. Then I realized I forgot to green locktite it.

There was a lot of... junk in between the liner and the ... hub? I wonder if my unit was slipping and making me think my gov was performing very poorly.
Be sure to grease the one way again.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Failure

Both set screws on the hub stripped, grrr, not sure what I can do now to get them out.

Not impressed. And not impressed with the quality of the upgraded assembly that I bought either. Whoever assembled this thing gauged the metal nicely on one of the screw holes.

*EDIT, the local heli expert near me suggested I JB Weld a throwaway alen wrench to the set screws and torque them out. Great idea!

He also suggested I use a soldering iron to break the loctite first (I should have done that first!), then if that doesn't work try the JB weld.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I started out with a one way that turned into a 4 way. My original shelled out the cage and lost its grip, and now the new "improved" one let go my last time out.

One thing is for sure, I am getting plenty of auto practice. I think Gaui is not doing right by us (customers) in distributing a product that is known to fail without us having to mod it to prevent this from happening.

FWIW, my set screws were both red loctited, but neither was tightened fully. I dremeled the flat spots, cleaned everything up to remove all grease and oil, reassembled with green 690 for the sleeve and housing, and made sure the set screws were fully tightened with red loctite on them. I am waiting for 24 hours to give the green time to set up fully before I try to fly again.

Robert, you were right about the sleeve coming out easily. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Just finished two test flights after letting the loctite cure over night. So far, so good. No hint of slipping, although the field wasn't big enough to do much, except some hard pitch pumps and flips and rolls. No room to get up a head of speed. Bearings all feel and sound smooth. Autos were good and free.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep

Last edited by rcflyerheli; 04-28-2014 at 10:30 AM..
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad it seems to be fixed!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I find it mildly annoying that they know about this issue but haven't bothered to start grinding flats for the setscrews at the factory. Depending on how the sleeves are manufactured, it could be something as simple as adding ~10 lines to a cnc program.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, everyone, need some help. As soon as the original, upgraded OWB assembly had the sleeve start to slip, I bit the bullet and ordered another set. While waiting for the new set to arrive, I did the mod on the original.

The new set arrived today, and so I thought that I'd just go ahead and do the mod to the new one. The original mod went fine with no hitches, so one would think this second one would be the same -- WRONG

I got the lower bearing installed just fine and when I tried to install the sleeve back into the housing, the one way cage fell out and got wedged in between the bottom of the sleeve and the lower bearing. Needless to say, getting them all out, made a bunch of burnt toast out of the lower bearing and the OWB.

The sleeve and upper bearing and housing are fine, but I need a new OWB and lower bearing. That lower bearing is what I think 15mm x 24mm x 5mm as I measure it.

Anyone know just what the actual OWB size is?

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's a link to a replacement a view topics bellow.

Topic: "solved another onyway slipping "
Old 05-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

question for you all. i am setting up a X7, and it has stock pinion (10) and stock gear (100T).
there is a counter bearing for the motor shaft. does this mean, the mesh is predetermined? meaning, i cannot make it tighter or looser, with all stock equipment?
orthobird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
question for you all. i am setting up a X7, and it has stock pinion (10) and stock gear (100T).
there is a counter bearing for the motor shaft. does this mean, the mesh is predetermined? meaning, i cannot make it tighter or looser, with all stock equipment?
You can move the motor + counterbearing as 1 piece

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in