Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #681 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've just crashed my Trex500 today, yesterday I flew and the tail was wagging left and right so I tought it had to do with static/belt, I siliconed the belt, flew today and with no warning at half speed where I normally hover, it just took off on me full speed?? I just dropped the throttle and crashed on my pave....Any ideal what could have caused this? Would appreciate any comments on this, thanks....
silverado777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #682 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Did you hit the idle up switch ? It would have caused that, depending on your settings, and would have given you negative pitch at low throttle.

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #683 (permalink)
Registered Users

For anyone wondering if static is an issue this simple detector costs almost nothing and works well. Run up the helicopter with no blades and use it to "Sniff" for electric fields. I used it to detect large fields build up and send the RX into failsafe.

http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/chargdet.html

Another issue I find on my carbon framed machines is that I get a very good induced voltage from the ESC, measured at about 18V p-p on the frame (with an oscilloscope referenced to battery negative). Grounding the frame to battery negative stops this.
ianjh123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #684 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I haven't seen this idea discussed yet but is it really possible that I've found a solution to the issue of lock-out/brown-outs? Food for thought at least.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=124721
RCSavager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #685 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completed the earth mod last night on my GF version...no issue yet, just a precaution. It is a pity we cannot harness this static to give extra flight time
kdumbril is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #686 (permalink)
Registered Users

Static is a major problem in process control and they have detectors specifically for static discharge. Some look expensive but they are used to determine what things need to be kept away from static discharge. Here's a link to the test equipment. Seems like it may require more than the pen type detectors. They are for the detection of AC voltage. Not sure it applies to static.

http://www.staticclean.com/static_measure.htm
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #687 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Present View Post
Static is a major problem in process control and they have detectors specifically for static discharge. Some look expensive but they are used to determine what things need to be kept away from static discharge. Here's a link to the test equipment. Seems like it may require more than the pen type detectors. They are for the detection of AC voltage. Not sure it applies to static.

http://www.staticclean.com/static_measure.htm
That's true. Fireup bought one and verified what we were seeing with the inexpensive pens.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #688 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all, newbie here, can someone please run down the list of proven mods. I have read and read, and seen lots of input. Just getting confused and need clarity,............and also what brand of "food grade silicone spray" for the belt and gears. Thanks, Jim
reALIGNed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #689 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzpsd View Post
Hi all, newbie here, can someone please run down the list of proven mods. I have read and read, and seen lots of input. Just getting confused and need clarity,............and also what brand of "food grade silicone spray" for the belt and gears. Thanks, Jim

Metal tail box- lightly sand inside for good contact
Sand both ends of stock boom until the aluminum shows
Ground boom to boom block bearings to carbon frame - use foil or small stranded wire
Verify continuity from tail box to carbon frame with multi-meter
Silicone shock oil 25wt. for RC cars/trucks- cheap and easy to use
Van de Graff generator taken care of

100 or so flights and have flown on a lot of low humidity/cold days- zero problems.
Redfire SVT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #690 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfire SVT View Post
Metal tail box- lightly sand inside for good contact
Sand both ends of stock boom until the aluminum shows
Ground boom to boom block bearings to carbon frame - use foil or small stranded wire
Verify continuity from tail box to carbon frame with multi-meter
Silicone shock oil 25wt. for RC cars/trucks- cheap and easy to use
Van de Graff generator taken care of

100 or so flights and have flown on a lot of low humidity/cold days- zero problems.
Here is an example of doing the things Redfive SVT has described:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=69894

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #691 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzpsd View Post
......and also what brand of "food grade silicone spray" for the belt and gears. Thanks, Jim
CRC brand. It can be had at Walmart.
airpup86C is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #692 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, parts (metal tail) are on order. You've all been a big help. And btw, could my Rx. be a culprit? Its a brand new AR6100e.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #693 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there a reason people are opposed to the torque-tube tail mod? It took care of all my ESD problems. Has anybody had any radio issues on the 500 after converting? I suppose you can add ground leads everywhere, get the metal belt-drive tail mod, add some aftermarket static collectors and wicks and treat your belt everyday with anti-static sprays - or - you can just buy the TT tail drive and be worry free. Seems like a no-brainer, but maybe there's a negative side to the TT tail drive that I haven't run into.

--Kevin
jones007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #694 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Is it too far fetched to have Align address this issue with new ideas? Why is it that so many people are crashing their birds cuz of static building up on their stock setup? Odd don't you think that Align is the silent voice in this thread?
RCSavager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #695 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007 View Post
Is there a reason people are opposed to the torque-tube tail mod? It took care of all my ESD problems. Has anybody had any radio issues on the 500 after converting? I suppose you can add ground leads everywhere, get the metal belt-drive tail mod, add some aftermarket static collectors and wicks and treat your belt everyday with anti-static sprays - or - you can just buy the TT tail drive and be worry free. Seems like a no-brainer, but maybe there's a negative side to the TT tail drive that I haven't run into.

--Kevin
I did the grounding when I first built my 500, before the torque tube even came out. A couple buck's worth of small wire, a little extra time in the build to figure it out, and then a whole year of glitch free flying. I even keep using the plastic tail housing. I'd rather spend my extra heli dollars on more blades and batteries.

Al
airpup86C is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #696 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSavager View Post
Is it too far fetched to have Align address this issue with new ideas? Why is it that so many people are crashing their birds cuz of static building up on their stock setup? Odd don't you think that Align is the silent voice in this thread?

IMHO,................ALIGN did address the problem, the TT kit, put it on as a factory package, label it the NEW ESP, and begin selling 500's all over again.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #697 (permalink)

after reading myself blind, doing this and that to cure the problem before i had a problem, i finally just said screw it and bought a TT. I flew my 500 today and it never flew so good, not because the TT was some kind of performance up grade, but because the thought of "is this the one" never entered my mind, and i now have one less thread to keep track of.
rritchiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #698 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritchiev View Post
after reading myself blind, doing this and that to cure the problem before i had a problem, i finally just said screw it and bought a TT. I flew my 500 today and it never flew so good, not because the TT was some kind of performance up grade, but because the thought of "is this the one" never entered my mind, and i now have one less thread to keep track of.
exactly, thats why I did it too
Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #699 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritchiev View Post
Couldn't agree more. If I have to choose between tinkering and flying, I will choose flying every time.

--Kevin
jones007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #700 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just want to clarify the fact, that if the TT was not available, then yes to all the mods., cause they sure do work well. But since the TT is available and is a good cure for esd's,....sold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in