Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Q: Newbie trying to setup Trex 450

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to post this?

I gave up on my first build, a HK450.. at least for now, until I can figure out where all the vibration is coming from. Some of the forum posts I've read says can be a number of things.

In the end I found an Align 450 V2 Pro on sale, and bought it. I finished building it few days ago, and very little if any vibration. Went to fly it yesterday. There seems to be two problems:

1) The heli slowly rotates counter-clockwise. It's not a fast out of control spin. So I believe the gyro is set to the correct direction. Is this a problem with the gyro gain? or should I just adjust the sub-trim or trim? Some of the videos/posts I've read seems to indicate to leave the sub-trim alone.

2) The heli also banks to the left (when I use the rudder to counter the spin). The banking is slow so I can correct it with the stick. Is this because my swash plate isn't 100% level? or is this a tracking issue?

Thanks for any sugestions and help! I won't be able to try much out until I get my landing skids fixed/replaced. It broke on one of the hard landings.

BooBoo
booboo_yvr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

your problem with the drifting tail might be that the tail servo needs to be moved on the boom. the conventional method of setting up is to set the servo position so theres no drift in rate mode, then switch to head hold and it should hold, things like gain being correct too.

banking to the left when hovering tail in is normal, due to the tail rotor pushing air the other way. you just have to learn to counteract it i'm afraid
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks!
I'll try adjusting the tail servo.
I thought the gyro would have "fix" any mechanical errors.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi, in theory, but the gyro cannot work properly if the mechanical pitch range isnt available to it. if the tail blade pitch slider hits the stop either side before the the necessary blade pitch is reached, theres nothing the gyro can do. thats why you move the servo position, so the range available to the gyro is correct. you generally start by setting the tail slider so its about 1 /3 of the way from the boom side when the servo horn is at 90 degrees, in rate mode. this gives approximately enough 'basic' pitch to counteract the main blades and alows the gyro enough range to do its thing.
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo_yvr View Post
Thanks!
I'll try adjusting the tail servo.
I thought the gyro would have "fix" any mechanical errors.
It may be that you don't have the tail shaft slider adjusted properly.
It's not so much the servo you have to adjust as the distance between the ball links so that at a centred stick and servo, the tail blades are biting toward the boom just a few degrees - enough to counter the CCW torque created by the main blades when doing a stable hover. Then, as Neverland suggests, adjusting the travel of the tail shaft slider so that the slider moves within its physical limits without binding (tail servo buzzes) at the blade shaft or at the boom tail assembly. This adjustment will have to be made using the instructions for whatever gyro you're using. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mine too

Soo, Mine did the same thing with the slow rotation and i did everything you could think of in the gyro (3GX) to get it to stop,I spent 100 dollars on a MKS tail servo and i was only able to make it sparadic and the tail hold was week. It was the tail servo horn, i was using the stock align ex shaped servo horn with the ball on the closest hole to the center and it wasnt enough resolution so i used a different horn so i could get the ball right next to the center of the servo. I wasnt able to figure this out untill i upgraded to the V bar, it gave me possible solutions within the sofware and has a live vibration sensor so u can spool up on the bench to check if your tail bairing are bad, or remove your tail to check the main bearings. PM me if you still r having the problem, I just fixed it today on my 45oV2 upgraded to DFC
steve54 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Same thing here

I just got through building my HK450 with a Micro BeastX set up as the tail gyro and I am experiencing the same thing. I will readjust the tail slider tomorrow and give it a try. The drifting left problem though has me puzzled. If I try to counter with aileron, the heli will almost tip over before it corrects the drift. Trying to counter with left rudder does not seem to be much help either.

Charlie
RookieAv8r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi,
I think i know what my problem is
I had ordered some cheap tail blades from HK, and I thought I'll probably destroy the ones from the kit pretty quickly. So I put the HK blades on. At first they looked liked the same size. But after a closer inspection the HK blade's surface area is much smaller. Plus they're not really shaped like a wing; it's more like a long diamond if I was to take a cross-section.

But it's been raining here in Vancouver. So I haven't been able to try going back to the original blades yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in