Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 90 SE or 90 3D?

I am looking to get a 90 and wanted to know if more folks preferred the 3D or SE?

The price difference is pretty substantial.

Thanks!
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the 3D, it is cheaper and lighter then the SE. So not only will it feal better to your pocket book, it will flip and and roll faster. Not to mention the head on the 3D is more tunable.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I was reading about the tuning, but did not see that on the SE. That is good to know since that was one main thing I was looking at.

It will be nice to have a Raptor back in my hangar. How do you like it? I used to have a Titan, so how does it compare? I have only flown 50 class.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I 2nd what Vandelescrow said, go with the 3D version. IMHO I don't think the price difference is worth the CF frames etc. Not to mention a stock 3D version will out fly your abilities if your not used to 90's, or 3D flying. Good luck with your choice

"Depression is nothing more than anger, without enthusiasm"
Badger50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Badger50 comented about the carbon frames, if you look at any of the photos posted here, all the 90 SE's have metal frame stiffeners. So judging from that I'd say the carbon frames are not stong enough, the frame stiffeners are an added expense and added weight.

I have not flown the 90 much, party because I am still a bit intimidated by it and the other is I am terible when it comes to tuning an engine and rely on a local expert for that. But, The local expert (Wayne Mann) has flown my 90 3D and was quite impressed with it. He was vary surprised how well it tracked in forward flight. It's roll rate was slower than my 50 even with it set up with the agressive settings and using (cant think of the model number but its those new JR servos with the red metal on the body, realy fast servos). I am using Radix 710 stick bangers, Im sure 690's will increase the roll rate. I was told that 90's will NOT roll as fast as 50's so it is something I will have to get used to.

When I was in your possition. I downloaded the manuals to both the SE and 3D, compared what parts they come with, what parts I will upgrade etc, the 3D won out. The only thing I wish the 3D came with was metal blade grips. I'm still using the plastic grips that came with the 3D but the advantage to the plastic ones is they except 2 different size blade roots, the metal only except one size, sorry cant remember the size. So, using the plastic grips gives you a bigger selection in blades to choose from.

Sorry If I don't make sence, I've had a few beers tonight, but hope it helps
Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ha, no worries, you made more sense than most on here.

I agree about the CF frame stiffeners, I don't want an CF.

The only blades I use are the standard root so metal grips aren't an issue. I think with 690s you'll see a great improvement. I already new that it's roll rate was slower than the 50, more mass to move.

I have decided to get the 3D, thanks guys.

I already have all the electronics so all I need is the kit, motor and blades.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a raptor 60 that was converted to a 90, alum frame, the alum frame is rock solid.

I was going to put stiffeners on the frame but it doesn't need it and just adds extra weight.

I replaced the plastic head with various different parts, TT head with button, 3d see saw, Correct flybar cage and Correct blade grips, made by Correct, G Force mixing arms.

The root on the blade grips is not an issue since blades come with spacers.

It is an awesome heli, mine is very responsive compared to my Trex 600N, both helis have same servos.

You won't regret buying either, I love my Raptor.....and mine is a custom build.
Lota Fun R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in