Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500 fb on a DX8 w/ annoying tail wag

I have been flying helis about 3 years now..However I have a 500 slight tail wag i can not figure out for the life of me. ( know with tail wags it can be a multitude of things ) The heli i am flying is an align 500e ( FB )...I recently just transferd over this model on a DX8 radio. No matter the settings i use in the gyro set up i still get the wag. Not a bad wag but enough to annoy me.
Maybe im overlooking a lesson from the past. How about shouting out some cures and lets see if one will stick ? Thanks for any help. For those that are flying a 500 fb with a DX8 wher do you have your gyro settings ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where do you have the gain set? On a DX8 heading hold is 0 to 100 whereas rate is -100 to 0. My guess is you’re using the same gain number as an old DX7 or DX6. If so you need to drop it. Put it at 35 or so and then adjust from there.

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a DX8 and a FB 500e. I'm running 45 on the gyro.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
Where do you have the gain set? On a DX8 heading hold is 0 to 100 whereas rate is -100 to 0. My guess is you’re using the same gain number as an old DX7 or DX6. If so you need to drop it. Put it at 35 or so and then adjust from there.

+1...Good info. Yes i learned this the hard way the other day coming from my dx7. rite now i have 35 set in. Will try 45 and see what takes place when all this wind blows out.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also, the Align tail Gyro is prone to tail wag. I had the same problem with my 500e. The cure for me was to mount the gyro on Align PU gel on top of a KDE metal receiver tray (in the receiver tray spot, of course). Hope it doesn't come to this for you.

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm also using the GP790, mounted on the boom, with the tape that came with the kit, a metal separator that came from either my quark or futaba gyro, and a piece of 3M tape underneath.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, There is a good thought, I have a gp-780 on this 500. I may try another piece of foam tape and see if that helps . ( still so damn windy here . Really want to try and get this bird dialed in )
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Figured out my problem. I had a slight crack in my cf tail servo holder, In flight this would bend a bit ever so slighty hence the slight tail wag.
Thanks ronm3313 for the 45 DX8 gyro setting, that number worked out perfect.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in