Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Multiple battery charging

New here and got me a different charger now along with a parralel board for charging 6 batteries at once instead of just one. I have gotten a bigger bird now and stepped up on the charger with a 306b with two HP's got from a seller on eBay. When I charge the multiple batteries at what amperage rate do I use? My batteries are 3000 mah rated. Do use the same used for one or do I add up for 6 and time that by 3000? With the one was at 3amp rate, seems now maybe should be at 18amps. Help.
ghostrunner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, parallel charging is just combining all the packs capacity together into one giant single high capacity pack of the same voltage.

In your case the six 3000 mAh packs become one 18,000 mAh pack, so a 1C charge rate would be 18A and should charge all the packs in approximately one hour.

Keep in mind its OK to mix pack capacity sizes when parallel charging if needed, but NEVER mix different voltage packs!

You also want the starting voltages of all the cells to be similar to each other. No combining packs with cells that are at 3.7V with other packs that are at 4.0 for example, as there can be a large rush of current from the higher voltage pack cells into the lower charged cells when you connect the packs together.

Always connect up the main power leads to the board first to allow the voltage between the packs to equalize using the large gauge wire first before connecting up the smaller balance leads
Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tony knows his stuff
Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Yes, parallel charging is just combining all the packs capacity together into one giant single high capacity pack of the same voltage.

In your case the six 3000 mAh packs become one 18,000 mAh pack, so a 1C charge rate would be 18A and should charge all the packs in approximately one hour.

Keep in mind its OK to mix pack capacity sizes when parallel charging if needed, but NEVER mix different voltage packs!

You also want the starting voltages of all the cells to be similar to each other. No combining packs with cells that are at 3.7V with other packs that are at 4.0 for example, as there can be a large rush of current from the higher voltage pack cells into the lower charged cells when you connect the packs together.

Always connect up the main power leads to the board first to allow the voltage between the packs to equalize using the large gauge wire first before connecting up the smaller balance leads
Thank you. I thought so but had to make sure
ghostrunner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I always charge at 3C (takes 15 mins).. so a 6s5000mah pack would get 15A or a 12s5000 stick pack (really just 2 6s packs shrink wrapped together) gets 30A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in