Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

batteries : 2500-3300mah will work with Belt-rex500 and belt-6HV ( x2 ) and I believe almost all 500 size heli , not sure what the belt-logo500 uses
Belt-7HV uses 4000-6000 mah packs
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Logo 400 (500 size) uses 3000-3300 mAh packs.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just realised, I have dispensation from Little Poobah, so I don't have to call it a belt anymore

So the logo 400 is 3300mah, as are most other 500 size, and works well with the 6HV. Really do like the look of the compass, so that could be a contender as the big heli.

Been looking at almost every electric heli kit on FL's, and that states Logo500 is 6S 4000mah, and the 7HV is 2x6S 4000-6000. Might work, I think I would be going too big with those. Individual 4000-6000mah packs will be more expensive than 3300mah packs, plus the pack sizes would put the charging station I'm planning on getting right at it's power limit if I'm charging 6 x 6S parrallel, so I can happily draw a line there, because then the setup costs start to jump up with packs and charger.

So I just have to decide on the smaller heli, most probably a T-Rex500 or Logo400.

Thinking more about future fleet maintenance. If I do end up with a Logo and Compass, then that means I will have to rely totally on mail order. So I might still keep one Align heli, so I can always have the LHS as a bolthole for emergency spares.
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

If 3300 mah packs will work for you and the money is not a deal breaker, I would do a logo 400 and 600. If the 400 is not for you due to not having a driven tail for doing autos, then I would try a stretched protos 500 and a logo 600.

But thinking about it now I would probably go to the logo 600 and stretched protos 500.

Have a great day.
Matt

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Matt, what do you mean by Logo 400 not having a driven tail for autos?
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the additional ideas Matt I'm still open to suggestions at this stage, but I think the current front runners are a T-Rex 500EFL PRO 3GX Super Combo, and eventually a Compass 6HV or similar.

At the same time, I'm looking at getting the DX8 combo deal with 2 additional RX's and Telemetry Unit, plus a new charger (PL6) and suitable power supply. So there is as much to spend there, as there is on the new heli and probably 2 packs to start with.

Should have just enough left over, before I need to start selling things, to rip out the 3GX unit if I have any problems with it. So that would probably end up being a BX or spartan unit. If I'm lucky with the 3GX, at least it still has the potential to have accelerometers and GPS added further down the line. And I would still have that option available, if I stick to the stand alone micro beast unit and CPII, instead of the combined RX/BX unit. So this is starting to sound like a plan

And thanks again to everyone else for the idea's
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wondering if I could use a couple of these PSU units as a supply for the 1000W PL6 charger. If they are not suitable why not? Is it that these are AC and I would need DC?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-750w-7...item1e5be41475

Must do more research!!

Cheers
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You could use those, but it is not super easy to do the necessary modifications. Not clear on the full detail, but it will involve, but not limited to, making a change to ensure the powersupply is always on, as this type switch off based on a a signal wire that you have to provide the appropriate value to, and also you would have to do something about grouping all the 12V lines together, and probably something technical to do with isolating them so that you can get 24V from them, when you use two together. Raf covered it all very nicely in his thread about using some server PSUs that he found cheap on eBay, if I remember correctly, and of course there are other threads that you can find on this, but it is not something to be undertaken too lightly.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been doing more research on the power side of things today, and looking at watt's watt

Also PM'd Grant to see if he's making any more of his PSU's, but there could be a wait for them. Looking at other alternative's too I'd be looking at paying £300+ for a 1500W/30VDC PSU. So I'm just wondering if there are cheaper ways to do it.

I have searched for Raf's original thread, but it won't come up in my searches. I can recall it was closed, but would that be enough to stop it from showing in search results too?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It was moved, try here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=259386

dauste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauste View Post
You sure? They never move anything out of the Belt-CP forum, lol. Only kidding, it does seem to be there, but all the responses are from 'other' people, which is unusual. Plus, I thought there was a lot more description of how he built it when it was posted for us. I think that one is a bonus post into the electronics forum where Raf figured people wouldn't need a blow by blow of how it was done.

I'll have a look around and see if there is an original.

Cheers

Sutty
EDIT: Is this it? Well it is, but it is before he changed it to a dual PSU version. Power mad lol. Thread got closed because of falling out. Think Raf just chose to close it, as the actual project was still covered, and any further contributions were just likely to be more bickering, for some odd reason.
EDIT AGAIN: It turns into the dual one as you read on. All the info is there.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah a timely reminder of Raf's very own RC Electronics forum Thanks Dave

And thanks for the extra digging Sutty, it was the thread where it started off as a single PSU, then transformed into a dual unit, then exploded that I was after. The first un-edited version had more detail earlier on about the planning and design, so now I have more research to do

Sounds like the Dell 6650 900W Server PSU is lining up for the front runner at the moment. Will cost about £150 for the pair, if I'm not spending £250-£350 on an off the shelf unit. I'll have plenty left over in the budget for a nice cool carry case and wiring. Will be more than enough power if I get the PL6 or 8, with parrallel charge board.

The parrallel charge board available for the PL6's and 8's have DEANS connectors, which I still don't like soldering, despite improving my standard's, and obtaining a much better soldering iron. Think I'll have to convert to EC3 and 5 from now on, and knock up some adaptors.

Ideally would like to plug it in at home, or take to the field and hook up to a geni, so won't be needing it's own portable power source. But I know I will need to spend alot more time planning it and won't be something I throw together. Want it as sturdy, weatherproof and long lasting as I can afford to make it.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterboy View Post
And thanks for the extra digging Sutty, it was the thread where it started off as a single PSU, then transformed into a dual unit, then exploded that I was after. The first un-edited version had more detail earlier on about the planning and design, so now I have more research to do
Here's that first, more detailled thread that I closed myself in post 192, because stupidity seems to have no boundaries, lol. Hope it helps.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=248358

Edit: Andrew had it right, noticed that too late.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, enough reading and research for me today. I'm going to get out with the 450 either before or after work tomorrow, so will look forward to that and I'm off for an early night tonight!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was a shame that thread went nuclear Raf, still the information in the earlier part of the thread is a gold mine After reading reply #1 in the thread, it's no surprise to find me looking back at it now And it's funny about the comments Grant asked about, as that is exactly the problem I am having now.

So, what I have learned about my requirements for a power/charging system so far is, that despite battery technology improving since Raf did his first version of the charging station, the chargers available on the market are still pretty much the same.

The PL8 seems to be the best around I can find for Watt's per £, that will deliver a whopping 1344W. However, I was hoping to get a charging system that would cope with 6 x 6S 5000mah charging at 2C. Just one charger though, trying to avoid the cost of buying 2 x PL6 chargers and 2 parrallel charging boards. However, that maybe the only way to get the number of watts/amps required to acheive 6 x 6S 5000mah @ 2C.

So, hope I got this right 6 x 10A = 60A x 24.2V = 1452W. So including losses in the system for effeciency, I would need a single charger that can deliver at least 1650W, and a PSU that will deliver at least 1900W/24.2V.

Seems easy enough to get the PSU's, I have found a couple that are pre-wired for 24V/2000W for £60. And they are close enough for me to collect them However, if I am going to run 2 x PL6's, then I may aswell try and get 2 x 1300W PSU's so I can get the best out of both 1000W chargers. Some rough estimate's means I think I could charge 6 x 6S 5000mah at upto 3C, or 12 x 6S 5000mah at 1.5C!!! I think that's more than I would ever require and this way I could keep the number of packs required to a minimum and fly all day at the club with both heli's.

The only problem then is the charger. Anyone know if there is a charger available that can deliver that kind of wattage (1600W)? Are we all still waiting for a charger to hit the market that will deliver what people have been wanting for the last couple of years??

Open to any suggestions, but thats the kind of specs I'm aiming to build.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Raf has used 2 1000W iChargers 3010 for the big batteries, but they're in the same price range as the newer PL6s... Nope, looks like there is nothing bigger out there than PL8, so you're probably looking at 2 PL6s long term anyway. Look at this, Revolectrix has a new combo of 2 PL6s that talk to each other:

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...-Ready-Combo_3

It's really just 2 separate chargers but they communicate. You do your setting selection and start / stop the charging on the master charger and the slave follows, how cool is that? Price is very attractive, too.

I bought a single PL6 with parallel board for now for my 6HV batteries (2 months ago, and won't have it in my hands until mid-June, it's sitting in my brother's house in the US), but I'll still be charging them in the field from my smallish semi-portable (~15kg, about 60Ah) field car battery, meaning maximum four 2*6S-packs recharges in the field @ 2C (the packs are 6S 2600mAh, charging 2 of them @ 2C will mean about 12A from the 12V car battery. That's 5h current, @ that rate the battery should have about 90% of rated capacity. It's not a deep-cycle battery, so it's happier delivering more current, but I'll need to stop at using about 40% of the capacity) with some capacity left over to run the nitro starter and charge a couple of 3S packs.

That's enough for for me right now, because I typically do only 4-6 flights per a 3-4 hour trip to the club (the rest is resting and bullshitting between the flights), and I normally bring at least 2 birds with me, but I realize this arrangement is too small if I ever get a 700E. Then it's a 2nd PL6 and the generator, I'm afraid
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers for the input Jerry. I was looking at the combo deals and the how to video this morning. You just made me realise that I should get a 3pin to 60A croc clips cable, so I can hook up to deep cycle batteries. That is aswell as a 3pin to mains cable that can hook up to a mains/geni, which is what I would normally use

I'm just surprised that Grant and Raf found it an issue 2 yrs ago, and still no one has released a solution.

I mean, to charge 6 x 6S 5000mah packs @ 2C would require (60A x 24.2V) 1452W, so the PL8 is not that far off it. Surely the manufacturers realise there is a gap in the market here? So I am suprised there is no PL10, that can deliver 1600-1800W. The many people who own 550's and 700's would jump at such a charger, as then they would only need one charger to charge 6 x 5000mah packs. That is 6 x 550 packs, or 3 x 700 packs. Anyway, enough moaning about the un-obtainable.

I think the way I will go if the budget can stretch, is 2 x PL6's, 2 x PMA's, and 2 x 1300W PSU's. I'm not bothered if they talk to each other or not, but there is certainly a financial saving to be made by getting that particular combo deal.

I will double check before ordering, but I think I will be better off getting Combo deal 6 and 7, and the additional buddy wires for $10. Incidentally, can anyone explain what the GST is on the Revoletrix Intl website? (I'm assuming is some kind of tax).

What did impress me is that the PL6 and PL8 will both clip together, which will be great when it comes to mount them into the alu. case. Plus I think it was the auto charge @ 1C, 2C, 3C feature, where you can actually charge different cell count or capacity packs on the 2nd charger, and it senses what to do automatically!! Good gadget and will last me a very long time :-)

Think I've got an idea of everything I'll do now, and in what order, so I can say I've finished my research for now. Will start with a new frame side for the 450 and kasama parts for the 600. DX8, PL6's and PSU's will follow next. Once the charging station is built, and the 450/600 repaired, I will then sell the 450 and get a 550 instead.

Not sure when I'll sell the 600 yet, but I've got plenty to be getting on with whilst I consider it.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm smiling inside for your upcoming joy as the purchases roll in.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Combo 6 is exactly what I got, Denis. Plus the clips and the soft case. Will probably look this summer for a big PSU and a small case to build an exact half of Raf's portable charging station...

Not worried about going double at the moment, remember we're running off 110VAC here, have to be careful about not overloading household breakers here...
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers Sutty, I am starting to get just a little excited now

Just been looking at a 2nd hand DX8 BNIB, with the extra receivers - £250. Just txt the bloke and said I would have it if no-one beats me to it. Just wish the bank would hurry up now

I'm getting most excited about the PSU's and PL6's. Wanted to do this for a long time, and now I will get my chance. Even if it's another 12 months before I start using it to it's full capacity, the important thing now is to build something fairly futureproof that will handle my power requirements for the foreseeable. Until I receive the unit's and check dimensions and best layout/configuration, I won't know what size case to buy. Then there is all the wiring and connections to figure out and source, so I know that is going to take some time....and you know how I can take my time!!!

Only fly in the ointment, which isn't a fly really, is the big job I won at the hotel. Means I will be working away from home after next week, for the following 3-4 weeks . It's seriously going to cut down my hobby time after next week till almost upto the FFFD

So I expect I'll still be flying the 450 and 600 by then, but on a DX8. Hopefully I'll have time to build the charging station too, but I think I will struggle to finish it. After I finish the big job at the hotel, I will only have a couple of weeks left to complete any project before the FFFD!! And I'll probably need the one free day I get during those 2 weeks to get back down to the club and test the 600N with kasama head. Engine still needs leaning up a little, and I can setup the gov now I have the extra channel

Exciting times and I'm glad your feeling some of it too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in