Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] hi, the SK is gov is proactive which means it knows what's coming in advance and adjusts accordingly, the CC is reactive so it needs to see things when its too late before it can respond.

in addition the SK uses "pitch management" to control the headspeed when bogging is detected, so yes its superior and has bits to tweak!!
Ahhh - bits to tweak! That's up my alley.

Thanks for the reply. I have my phase detector on order so I have something cool to look forward too.
ckindt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos_pilot View Post
hi all you guy

I am using the plastic tail blade now, KBDD, my be I switch to RJX carbon one. And still think that Align ESC's throttle response is not quick enought to run governor smoothly, but hard to find someone who sale Hobbywing in Laos. Do you think like me??
It might be the align ESC throttle response being too low.. It could also be the tail servo that isnt fast enough or strong enough to handle the rapid torque changes.. As already pointed out in the thread the SK gov is proactive just like the vbar gave so any movement of the collective increases/decreases the throttle to compensate for the pitch change.. Further throttle inputs are given by the gov. depending on other variables to maintain h/s...

What tail servo are you currently using?
Also you might want to set the precomp in the tail tab to 0 and see if that helps.. This will disable the collective precomp and reduce throttle changes...
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Thread Starter Thread Starter

=] +1 as above, possibly the SK gov needs to use the next pinion size up if headroom is too low? certainly get some carbon tails on her!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffect View Post
It might be the align ESC throttle response being too low.. It could also be the tail servo that isnt fast enough or strong enough to handle the rapid torque changes.. As already pointed out in the thread the SK gov is proactive just like the vbar gave so any movement of the collective increases/decreases the throttle to compensate for the pitch change.. Further throttle inputs are given by the gov. depending on other variables to maintain h/s...

What tail servo are you currently using?
Also you might want to set the precomp in the tail tab to 0 and see if that helps.. This will disable the collective precomp and reduce throttle changes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] +1 as above, possibly the SK gov needs to use the next pinion size up if headroom is too low? certainly get some carbon tails on her!
I'm using MKS DS95i with 6V from CC BEC
My tuning step by step is :
First I dont enable the SK gov, and disable the tai precomp too
then I tuning cyclic and tail, on pitch pump and pie disk to find the best gain for the tail that dont have tail blow out, tail wag and minimum tail kick in pitch pump
then I enable the SK gov and tail pre comp to reduce the tail kick.
tuning the gov gain
done!
Or may I miss some setting??
Laos_pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos_pilot View Post
I'm using MKS DS95i with 6V from CC BEC
My tuning step by step is :
First I dont enable the SK gov, and disable the tai precomp too
then I tuning cyclic and tail, on pitch pump and pie disk to find the best gain for the tail that dont have tail blow out, tail wag and minimum tail kick in pitch pump
then I enable the SK gov and tail pre comp to reduce the tail kick.
tuning the gov gain
done!
Or may I miss some setting??
1. Disable Gov and set Tail - "Collec Mix" = 0
2. Tune tail to hold as best you can doing pitch pumps and no wag...etc. You might need to play around with the individual Rate and Heading hold gain.. One of the (im not sure which) will assist with countering some of the torque.. Its unlikely you will be able to tweak it to hold 100% during pitch pump without some "Collec Mix" but you should be able to get it close..
3. Once you are happy with tail performance without the gov. , enable gov. (leave Collec Mix alone) and see if the tail and cyclic behave. Slowly increase the gov. gain until you see the wobble or bounce in cyclic/tail and reduce the gov. gain 1-2 pts at a time until the heli is stable again.
4. Add some "Collec Mix" (pre-comp). Increase slowly until you have the tail holding on pitch pumps..

Now go fly the snot out of your heli..
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedCNC View Post
Ok, I'm obviously in the minority here as a nitro user...but this gov is completely backassward for nitro. Is it too much to ask for a nitro gov update that is up to industry standards? ...one that is flight mode switchable via aux channel and none of this throttle curve junk? Patiently waited through faulty usb ports..cracked cases..low vib tolerances..promised gps. please can we nitro guys at least get a serviceable gov? please.....
whats wrong with it? works exactly like the Vbar gov does..

Im flying it perfectly on my Nitro Velocity. it holds way better than my MGP ever did and no messing with a secondary panel.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeveeSiN View Post
whats wrong with it? works exactly like the Vbar gov does..
and since the VBar was the first to add a Gov to a FBL system i guess you can say it works according to standards.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have my 720's governor working well with my cc ice 75 in heli mode with fixed enpoints.

My question is: How do I reset my cc data log memory from my controller? Before, I was able to power the esc up in IU2 at 100% throttle and that tells the cc esc to erase its data log memory.

Now, it seems with the SK in governor mode it won't put out 100% throttle until the esc is armed first at 0% throttle. That means I have to erase the cc log memory with the laptop only - ugh!

Please tell me there's a way to do it from the sticks and still maintain gov mode in my sk!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckindt View Post
I have my 720's governor working well with my cc ice 75 in heli mode with fixed enpoints.

My question is: How do I reset my cc data log memory from my controller? Before, I was able to power the esc up in IU2 at 100% throttle and that tells the cc esc to erase its data log memory.

Now, it seems with the SK in governor mode it won't put out 100% throttle until the esc is armed first at 0% throttle. That means I have to erase the cc log memory with the laptop only - ugh!

Please tell me there's a way to do it from the sticks and still maintain gov mode in my sk!
Anyone else know about this or isn't it cool to reset your cc logs without a pc connected?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckindt View Post
Anyone else know about this or isn't it cool to reset your cc logs without a pc connected?
I did not know you could do this. Very useful. Does it work on an Ice 80 HV?
Also I'm glad to hear you got the SK gov working with a cc Ice in heli mode. I wasn't planning on using mine because I 'm not starting my Fusion 50 in airplane mode. Did you do anything special with your setup and why do others claim you have to run the esc in airplane mode?
neoalchemist74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoalchemist74 View Post
I did not know you could do this. Very useful. Does it work on an Ice 80 HV?
Also I'm glad to hear you got the SK gov working with a cc Ice in heli mode. I wasn't planning on using mine because I 'm not starting my Fusion 50 in airplane mode. Did you do anything special with your setup and why do others claim you have to run the esc in airplane mode?
I tried the ICE280hv, SK540 with hyperion sensor using airplane mode and it didnt go so well.. The hyperion sensor and the ICE280HV work but arnt the greatest. I think if you use a digital phase sensor i.e. hobbywing rpm sensor it would work much better.

The spool up would stall at a certain rpm ~700-800rpm and go no further, alternatively it would just go from 0rpm to the requested rpm 2100 immediately which scared the crap out of everyone..

I had good results using heli mode, medium to high startup rate and high throttle response.. The CC soft start does its thing and the SK540 takes over after that... Occassionally i had the Hyperion phase sensor glitch and the spool up stalls at 1000-1200 rpm, but a quick TH, allow the rpm to slow right down and she spooled up fine..

Im going to try the SK540 with Hobbywing HV120 and hobbywing digital rpm sensor to compare performance against the ICE2/SK540/Hyperion setup. Should be an improvement from all reports.
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try heli mode, high startup ( 85%), low timing (0), pwm (12kHz). On my ice 50 i need latest 4.01 software. Works perfect
nickyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run my three flight modes like this:

Linear pitch curves on all modes
Throttle = a flatline that determines the RPM.

This worked perfect with the CC governor.

Does this requirement of slowly ramping the throttle to allow the governor to engage with the speed controller mean that I have to go back to one spool up mode and 2 idle ups rather than 3 idle ups and rely on soft start?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I switch from throttle hold to a flat 100%. This works fine for me with no ramp.

Nick
nickyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The first post in this thread should be stickied or added to the gov setup.

I kind of arrived at this thru trial and error that part where you get the steps between normal, IU1 and IU2 to work properly by change the throttle curves until I got 3 steps.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #36 (permalink)

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco View Post
The first post in this thread should be stickied or added to the gov setup.
=] good thinking! link is now added to gov video in the sticky....

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in