Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #281 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Harold that is looking to cool. As the frame extension goes I think It might be stiffer if it was a one piece frame with it integrated into the design. Not sure though.Can't wait to see how this flys. How do you guys do both esc's, a y cable? Interested how that works.
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #282 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet Harold, nice job making the extensions.
Looks good and I like the configuration with the motor mounted on the side. Would making a longer set of extensions be feasible? If the extensions were longer you could utilize all four of the original boom block hole in the frame instead of just the ones closest to the back of the frame. That might help keep the boom from flexing side to side
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #283 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Harold, where did you get the Gazaur canopy? I’ve always like the looks of the mars canopy and thinking about ordering a couple for my DD birds. I know about mars480.com, but was wondering if there’s anybody else in the states that might also carry the canopy so I can do a price comparison. I just want the plain white mars canopy so I can do my own paint job.

Also think these skids would look great with the Gazaur mars canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF landing gear 2.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	318734  

Last edited by HELIHANKSTER; 05-22-2012 at 03:22 PM..
HELIHANKSTER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #284 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500 View Post
Hey Harold that is looking to cool. As the frame extension goes I think It might be stiffer if it was a one piece frame with it integrated into the design. Not sure though.Can't wait to see how this flys. How do you guys do both esc's, a y cable? Interested how that works.
There are two options of hooking up the 2 ESC's:
1. Use a Y-cable and hook up to the throttle channel.

2. Use an independent channel (eg. Aux 2) for the ESC that contros the tail motor. The motor will be controlled by a switch and will run at a constant RPM regardless of the throttle position.

I have tried both approaches and I'm currently using option 2 for this project.
Transmitter settings will depend on whether the ESC has governor mode or not.
My rule of thumb is to set the tail rotor speed to at least 4.5 times the main rotor speed.
This is where the choice of the KV of the tail motor comes in relation to the number of cells of the battery.
My computations are all theoretical since I do not have the tool to measure actual rotor speed but the heli seems to fly given the parameters that I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post
Sweet Harold, nice job making the extensions.
Looks good and I like the configuration with the motor mounted on the side. Would making a longer set of extensions be feasible? If the extensions were longer you could utilize all four of the original boom block hole in the frame instead of just the ones closest to the back of the frame. That might help keep the boom from flexing side to side
Thanks for your suggestions! I change the way I attached the boom to the frame and eliminated the extension and the frame seems to be more rigid. It looks cleaner now but the structural integrity remains to be proven after my test flight. I'll share some pictures when I get home this evening. By the way, I'm waiting for the longer torque tube from Infinity Hobby. Thanks for sharing your tip!

Quote:
Hey Harold, where did you get the Gazaur canopy? I’ve always like the looks of the mars canopy and thinking about ordering a couple for my DD birds. I know about mars480.com, but was wondering if there’s anybody else in the states that might also carry the canopy so I can do a price comparison. I just want the plain white mars canopy so I can do my own paint job.

Also think these skids would look great with the Gazaur mars canopy.
I believe I bought the canopy from Hobby-Lobby long time ago when they were trying to get rid of their inventory of the Mars/Gazaur line.
The skids look awesome!

BTW, have you got your belt yet? I'm looking forward to see the completion of your belt-driven torqu-tube project.

HAROLD
hochoco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #285 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch, Hank...just watched your video...sorry to see that kind of crash. I crash often and don't mind so much if it's user error but really hate mechanical issues, especially mysterious ones! You could have saved that one if it was CP.

That's also one crazy flying area! Weird lighting, LOTS of trees and flying a FP helicopter in that small space! I suppose you're used to it though.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #286 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochoco View Post
Thanks for your suggestions! I change the way I attached the boom to the frame and eliminated the extension and the frame seems to be more rigid. It looks cleaner now but the structural integrity remains to be proven after my test flight. I'll share some pictures when I get home this evening. By the way, I'm waiting for the longer torque tube from Infinity Hobby. Thanks for sharing your tip!
Looking forward to seeing the new configuration. Will you still use the stock length boom or will it incorporate the 480 stretch TT setup.

Quote:
I believe I bought the canopy from Hobby-Lobby long time ago when they were trying to get rid of their inventory of the Mars/Gazaur line.
The skids look awesome!
Cool, I didn’t know Hobby-Lobby use to sale real hobby grade rc helicopters stuff. I do know Gazaur stuff is getting harder to find these days, so I’ll go ahead and order a couple mars canopies from mars480.com. I totally suck at air brushing, but so going to give it a try on the mars canopy…Yeah I know it been done a hundred times on the gazaur canopy, but I’m thinking some kind of alien creature…Yeah Baby!!!!

What I’m totally digging about this landing gear configuration is the way the carbon fiber skids attach to the metal mounts. Haven’t asked JC yet and I don’t know how much cheaper it would be making the skids out of G10, but it would be cool to send him a set of the skids and have him modify the design to give the skids a more creature look to go with the Gazaur canopy.

Quote:
BTW, have you got your belt yet? I'm looking forward to see the completion of your belt-driven torqu-tube project.

HAROLD
Ordered the belts on Monday, so hoping to have them by the weekend. I took JC advice and ordered a couple different sizes. If the belt to torque tube works and the rest of the parts show up by the weekend, I’m hoping to get it airborne by Memorial day.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #287 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Ouch, Hank...just watched your video...sorry to see that kind of crash. I crash often and don't mind so much if it's user error but really hate mechanical issues, especially mysterious ones! You could have saved that one if it was CP.

That's also one crazy flying area! Weird lighting, LOTS of trees and flying a FP helicopter in that small space! I suppose you're used to it though.

Yeah I’m the same way and I think that’s why I was so setup after it happen. I’m never really mad if it's pilot error, only when it’s a mechanical issue.

It was a CP helicopter, my Yellow DD CP450. It wouldn’t have matter if it was a FP or a CP as I don’t have a clue how to auto in real life.

Yeah, it’s my front yard and the trees really make it hard to get a good video. When I first got into this hobby I knew I was going to be flying mostly in my yard. I use to be big into Bass fishing, but with my wife carrying our first child, I wanted a hobby that I could do while staying around the house. At the time I knew my front yard was too small to fly planks, so I decide to go the rc helicopter route. At first, it was plenty of room, but as my skills improved, my big front yard keep getting smaller and smaller. Now that I’m starting to fly 450 size birds more often, my yard now feel super small.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #288 (permalink)
Registered Users

CHAINSAW HH, CHAINSAW, I love the smell of two cycle first thing in the morning!!!

Ice
icecycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #289 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the new configuration. Will you still use the stock length boom or will it incorporate the 480 stretch TT setup....
Here's the new configuration using the stock boom. Incidentally, the 360mm blades still clear the tail blades.
I may also try using the longer 385mm blades when the 480 stretched TT boom arrives hopefully before the weekend. Infinity-Hobby seems to have a good service and fast shipment.

Regards,

HAROLD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2159.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	318900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG
Views:	742
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	318901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2157.JPG
Views:	758
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	318902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	318903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2160.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	318904  

Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #290 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecycler View Post
CHAINSAW HH, CHAINSAW, I love the smell of two cycle first thing in the morning!!!

Ice
LOL! I to love the smell of two cycle in the morning. Problem is, most the trees all around my front yard belong to my neighbors and trust me…they are some serious tree loving folk.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #291 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Here's the new configuration using the stock boom. Incidentally, the 360mm blades still clear the tail blades.
I may also try using the longer 385mm blades when the 480 stretched TT boom arrives hopefully before the weekend. Infinity-Hobby seems to have a good service and fast shipment.

Regards,

HAROLD
Looking good Harold.

385mm blades…Sweet, do they fit the standard 450 blade grips?
+1 on Infinity Hobby. I’ve always been a satisfied customer.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #292 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both the Gazaur canopy and the ALZRC landing skid set showed up today…sweetness!!! Now just need a few more parts to show up and its on like Donkey Kong.

What do you guys think of the canopy and skids together?

Almost like the canopy was made to go around the DD motor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3024 (640x480).jpg
Views:	880
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	319251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3027 (640x480).jpg
Views:	797
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	319252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3025 (640x480).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	319253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3026 (640x480).jpg
Views:	415
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	319254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3028 (640x480).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	319255  

Name:	DSCN3029 (640x480).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	319256   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3030 (640x480).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	319257  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #293 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks very nice, Helihankster!
I hope you'll get your belt very soon to complete your latest project.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #294 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Harold, seeing how sweet the Gazaur canopy looked on your DD bird made me pull the trigger for sure. Hope you don’t mine me being a copycat. If the tracking info is right, should receive the belts today, so if the heli gods are willing should be able the bench test the belt to TT mod tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #295 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Harold, seeing how sweet the Gazaur canopy looked on your DD bird made me pull the trigger for sure. Hope you don’t mine me being a copycat. If the tracking info is right, should receive the belts today, so if the heli gods are willing should be able the bench test the belt to TT mod tomorrow.
Helihankster, truth be told that I am the one following you! :-)
I really appreciate your kindness of sharing your ideas and helping other people like me.

I got my 480 boom and torque tube the other night. Unfortunately, we're going out of town this weekend and I won't have a chance to work on my heli and have a test flight of the direct drive torque tube tail :-(

I'm looking forward to see progress on your belt-to-TT mod. If I may borrow your expression, that is "sweetness"!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #296 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Test Hop - Motor-driven torque tube tail

I got the parts this week and was able to test the configuration:

- Torque tube tail driven by Cobra 2204-58 brushless moter KV1080
- CC Phoenix-25 ESC in governor mode
- Tail blades from MCPx cut to 82mm
- Main blade is MAH 385mm
- Battery is Zippy 3S 30c 2200mah lipo
- Main motor is from Funcopter v2
- Extended torque tube and boom is from Tarot 480

Thanks to JohnnyCat & Helihankster for the advice and ideas.

Here's the test hop video.
Obviously, it needs a number of adjustments: gyro gain, blade tracking and possibly blade balance.
The setup may work fine for sport flying. The way the boom is attached to the frame held up pretty well during this initial flight.

By moving the motor near the frame (as opposed to driving the tail rotor directly), it gave a better balance allowing me to use a lighter battery and resulted in a lower AUW.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Bwa_Zzh2z0g[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2177.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	319627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	319628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2175.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	319629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	319630  
Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #297 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome job Harold!!! Man that puppy looks and sounds great in the air…total SWEETNESS! You my fellow tinker, are the man.

Those main blades look sharp. Where they a direct fit or did you have to trim the root a little to get them to fit?

I to have a lot going on this holiday weekend, so not sure how much I’ll get done on the belt-to-tt build. Was able to test the mod this morning and other then the drive belt being too tight, causing a little binding, it looks good to go. Hopefully between the next couple days, I’ll have some time to start putting everything together.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEX0GBPufrA[/ame]
Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #298 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the main shaft attached directly to the motor with no one way bearing?
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #299 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Is the main shaft attached directly to the motor with no one way bearing?
Yep, main shaft connects directly to the motor, no one way bearing. I'm sure someone with the right equipment and skills could make a adapter to fit a one way bearing between the shaft and motor. But mostly likely the frame would have to be redesign again, as the motor location would have to be lower to make room for the oneway bearing adapter.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #300 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,

thats realy awesome!!!

Now i have a question. What do you think about the power of this motor?
Has it enough power to be build in a 450 scale fuselage like Airwolf and 4 bladed head?
Normaly it works in a Funcopter (1300g/2,2lbs?)

So, whats your opinion?

Greetings from Austria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in