Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Exclamation OS-50 SX H Hyper NEDDLE settings !!!!

I have popped my first OS 50 SX-H Hyper enging ( the top on the piston) It could NEVER run any richer than ¾ turn.

I fount that the screws on the head were loooooose so it took “some” air between the head and crankcase so that’s why it popped .

Now on my 2nd OS 50 SX H Hyper engine it’s the same, runs like SHIT if it’s at the recommended setting of 1 ½ turn. I’m running on Rapicon 20% and at a temp of roughly 65 F.

Anyone else found that the engine has to run closer to ¾ turn than 1 ½ turn ?!
IcemanCharlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am about 1 turn plus 2-3 clicks. Carb smart after I installed it showed I was still a little on the rich side and it will bring it in about 2-3 clicks less than 1 full turn when temps are low.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank's Finless !

Well I were also running with the carbsmart but since the engine took air between the top and the crankcase it could NOT save the engine for me :-(

But than it's OK to lean it closer to 1 turn :-)

One other thing that's strange is the Align muffeler I have !!

My friends have asked me why the "nipple" :-) to the fuel tank is DIRECT outside the engine on the muffeler and NOT on top and further away from the engine !! I can see that I'm the only one flying the Align muffeler that have this. Could thet give me less pressure to the fuel tank or...
Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am running the Align pipe and am not having an issue with that.
Make sure you don't have a clunk issue or a pin hole in a fuel line somewhere as this can cause lean out problems. Also I run 30% so you running 20% you might have to be more lean than I.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Im couple clicks before a full turn with coolpower 30% and its still a little rich but I just leave it at that setting. My low end setting is quite lean, I dont know how much more till its fullly cosed but during pinch test it shows that its still rich.
Burt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your motor. I would have blown mine today if I didn't have a carbsmart.

I had been running my hyper at 3/4 turns for several weeks with head temps right around 180F when I landed. I was really worried about running that lean because everyone else that has the hyper / MusclePipe combo at my field runs between 1 and 1.25 turns.

Well, the ambient temps during those weeks were between 45 and 60. Today, it is 85 degrees and my carbsmart really paid off. For the first time, when I landed, the Carbsmart had moved the needle to full rich and the motor was quite hot.

I would have blown my motor out if I didn't have the CS. I've now Richened it up quite a bit. 1 turn is now my minimum needle setting.
stics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I HAD a carbsmart but it still popped the engine :-(
Old 05-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

and where do you set the stationary "needle"
nwolsink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

IcemanCharlie,

Didn't you say you're running home-brew fuel on this thread? https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=74122&page=2

Since this is the second motor your've blown, are you sure the fuel is formulated right?

EDIT:
Wait... nevermind, you didn't say you'd blown your second engine. Sorry
ENDEDIT

Last edited by stics; 05-17-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: editing
Old 05-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

here is a spreadsheet for mixing fuel, values in blue can be changed.

https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...4&d=1204016819

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still pretty new to helis, but not nitro two stroke engines. I've been running them for a couple years now in my RC monster trucks, and if there is one thing I know, it's that you can't expect a factory recommended needle setting to provide perfect results for every engine or every day. Because of that, I wouldn't recommend you ask someone what they set their needles at and set your engine's the same. Every set-up is slightly different. Weather, humidity, elevation, and general climate has a lot to do with the settings. Every new day you start a nitro engine, you might as well expect to tune the needles for optimum performance, unless the weather is identical to the previous day. Heck, sometimes I find I need to adjust the needles (usually just the high speed needle) if I start running in the morning and work my way into the afternoon. Basically what I am saying is every engine is different, and you should use the factory settings as a baseline and find what works best for your engine.

Align 600N Super Pro
Espeefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I suspect even your tubing lengths can have an impact on needle settings, albeit a very small one. I know your muffler can impact them.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Like its been said, there's lots of variables that can affect your settings. Anything that affects the pressure in the tank, including even the rubber exhaust "barf tube" can make a difference in needle setting.
My Align muffler has the tap right at the engine flange which is not odd, lots of mufflers and pipes run there connection there. Finding a spot on a tuned muffler or pipe thats always going to give a consistent positive pressure can get tricky.
I like to keep my engines on the rich side and I'm right at 1 turn out and getting around 180f readings with a temp gun, its got that "air show" smoke!
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

what setting do you run on the idle needle, or doesn't anyone fidle with that?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally leaned the idle needle slightly but not much. It's at between 12:30 and 1:00. With the default setting, I had trouble getting it to spool up properly.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stics View Post
I personally leaned the idle needle slightly but not much. It's at between 12:30 and 1:00. With the default setting, I had trouble getting it to spool up properly.
OK, I had the same thing and leaned is like 1/6 turn or so.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well...

I tried another Align muffler on my engine with nipple ON TOP instead of just after intake and...

I'm going to drill a new hole on my muffler and put in on top since my engine run better at low,medium and high speed. I cant ask for more can I :-)

I will also change to 30% Rapicon now after 1 gallon of 20% Rapicon for "run in"

I must say that my engine behaved like a different engine !!!
bluebird21 likes this.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stics View Post
Thats about were mine is as well. Only leaned the idle so far as to keep it from loading up and dying idling. Picks up great once warmed up.
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolsink View Post
what setting do you run on the idle needle, or doesn't anyone fidle with that?
I have had to lean the idle needle to about the 1:30 position otherwise it was a task getting it to spool up from idle. This using 20% fuel.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yesterday I flew with my Multi Gov engaged for the first time. My needle is about 2 clicks shy of 1 and 1/4 turns. I flew in idle 1 which is set for 1,900. I have Idle 2 set for 2,000. I just flew gentle figure 8's, loops, rolls, etc and got almost 11 minutes flying time, landing with the header tank half full. I shut down and got my finger on the backplate as soon as I could stop the rotors and could hold it there for several seconds. Could I lean this out more, or will it run a lot hotter when I go to idle 2? I didn't think I could get 11 minutes out of it even at 1,900 or does this sound about right? I read about guys only getting 8 or 9 minute flights so I wondered if maybe I should lean a little more. It was early evening when I flew and temps were in the low 70's. Using Coolpower 30%.

More stuff than there is time to fly it.
AFjetmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in