Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool !! So it is coming out soon ?
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

went home last night and check my 480 swash-its the same thing-my machine has maybe a 2 flights on it and its loose-but nylon doesn't want to pop out of the swash by hand-but I can rotate it--I have notified MIkado about mine ill see what the say about it-if there is no solution on the end ill do the fix-but what is the safest way to remove the ball I don't want to damage the nylon--if there is no easy way ill do the fix without removal--thank you every one this might have prevented a crash--Mikado you have to fix this....
marke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have been wondering why some swashplates have loose cups that spin, but won't pop completely out. They must've machined in a ridge to snap in place or something. Maybe, when you factor in the cold AL and tolerance stacking this is not enough? I know on my two 690 swashplates they just popped right out. Never had it happen on the 500/600 swashplates.
HeathH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Solution to the Center Ball Separation Issue

Yeah I couldn't get mine to POp out on my 690 swash without getting hammers out and I didn't want to risk deforming the Delrin with that so I stopped. It just spun inside there. I put mine in the freezer for about 46 minutes. My IR thermometer told me the surface temp of the wall inside the freezer was 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post
Yeah I couldn't get mine to POp out on my 690 swash without getting hammers out and I didn't want to risk deforming the Delrin with that so I stopped. It just spun inside there. I put mine in the freezer for about 46 minutes. My IR thermometer told me the surface temp of the wall inside the freezer was 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Fwiw.

yea depending on what Mikado says - I think ill just do the set screw trick without removing the ball -ill just be extra carful drilling the point in the delron--
Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's how I did mine too. Just to make sure I didn't mar the ball if I drilled too deep, I twisted the ball so the hole for the main shaft was in line with my drill bit. Good thing, cus sure enough, I misjudged and drilled clear through the Delrin. It's easy to do when you can't see the point of contact of drill bit to Delrin. Luckily, no harm was done, I chipped the flashing/shavings from the inside of the Delrin with my fingernail and the ball spins smooth as butter still. The grub screw still just barely enters the hole enough to hold it.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

also for the ball to pop out the Nylon cup would have to be pretty tight on the shaft-so I wonder if with the cold and the lube getting sticky on the main shaft would hold the ball and the servos pull on the assy enough to pop it apart--typically you don't want the ball to be tight on the main shaft--I use tri flow lube
Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree that is surely plausible. I don't lube, and I've not had problems of it sticking.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My new 480 had a loose Delrin cup and I sent it in to mikado to be evaluated. They sent me a replacement swash that should be here tomorrow. Keep in mind that Mikado won't stay in the dark or release an "upgraded v2 swash" to address this. They will do it right by admitting what is wrong and making it right.
Steve_JR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The swash on my Logo500 came apart tonight. Seems the cup is only held in with a thin ring of plastic molded into the outside of the cup. The whole thing was covered in what looks and feels like graphite but I suspect it isn't actually graphite.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know if Mikado is going to acknowledge the issue and repair it ?

It will be nice to see what Lynx comes out with. A serviceable swash with the derin cup held in place with a carbon plate and screws ?

There is also the Quick UK one.
http://www.quickuk.eu/products/1002/...l?currency=CAD
Old 02-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I sent Ron Lund an e-mail, several weeks ago, asking him if he would stock the QuickUK Logo swash but I never got a response. I really should have called.

I'm seriously thinking about cnc drilling some holes for m2 screws and making a CF plate to hold the cup in. I have a brand new swash here that has some play in the cup already. I think it is just a lousy design.

Honestly, I feel a Lynx one with the 690sx ratios would be the best. Vote with your wallet that Mikado's swashplates are overpriced and flawed.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

If Mikado was going to acknowledge an issue with their swash they would have done it a long time ago! It's been going on for years, some people don't see an issue at all?
tjmarti is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered the QuickUK swash for my 600SX from QuickUK. Haven't received it yet. I am assuming that it's a direct replacement for the stock swash ? Shipping wasn't too bad (I got other items too) -- was about $15.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Quick UK one is a direct replacement.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmarti View Post
If Mikado was going to acknowledge an issue with their swash they would have done it a long time ago! It's been going on for years, some people don't see an issue at all?

To be fair, they did issue a recall a while back on the 600 swashes and as far as I know, redesigned/changed it to avoid the issue. Also, that was a different type of failure. On those, the upper swash was pulling completely out of the big bearing causing a complete loss of control. On these 690 swashes, it's the Delrin cup that centers the ball that's coming out. As far as I know no one has crashed as a result, but it would make for a very scary, hasty landing with the potential for a crash.

They do have a knack for poor swash designs, and for charging a lot of money for them. Something does need to be done here, but I'll give them some credit that it's at least not the same type of failure on the same model of swash this time.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

As for the Quick UK swash, it's a direct replacement for the 500/600 swash. And it's a great one. But it does not share the improved geometry of the 690 swash, and I've been told that it'll no longer be available when current stocks run out. It's already out of stock in the US.

Of course one could run the Quick UK on the logo 690 with some adjustments, but I'd rather have the 690 geometry in a swash that doesn't fail.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
To be fair, they did issue a recall a while back on the 600 swashes and as far as I know, redesigned/changed it to avoid the issue. Also, that was a different type of failure. On those, the upper swash was pulling completely out of the big bearing causing a complete loss of control. On these 690 swashes, it's the Delrin cup that centers the ball that's coming out. As far as I know no one has crashed as a result, but it would make for a very scary, hasty landing with the potential for a crash.

They do have a knack for poor swash designs, and for charging a lot of money for them. Something does need to be done here, but I'll give them some credit that it's at least not the same type of failure on the same model of swash this time.

I agree with most of what is being said here. There have been different and separate issues, flaws non the less and issues that need to be addressed IMHO. As far as price,
I don't mind paying for something that works but this item continues to be problematic. Forget about price, there is a safety aspect to consider too.
tjmarti is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the stock 600SX swash (mikado # 2364) share the improved geometry with the 690SX swash (mikado # 4868) ? Or do you mention it because some people have been putting a 690SX swash on their 600SX ?

Once I build this kit (soon, hopefully) I'll probably fly it on the stock 600SX swash (#2364), then see how the swash looks and put the QuickUK one on if there is a problem.

Quote:
As for the Quick UK swash, it's a direct replacement for the 500/600 swash. And it's a great one. But it does not share the improved geometry of the 690 swash, and I've been told that it'll no longer be available when current stocks run out. It's already out of stock in the US.

Of course one could run the Quick UK on the logo 690 with some adjustments, but I'd rather have the 690 geometry in a swash that doesn't fail.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The new geometry is unique to the 690sx swash which is also much larger than the 480/500/600 swash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in