Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hyper questions

I need some opinions: I seized my Hyper the other day through my own stupidity. I wonder if it is worth rebuilding, looks like $100+/-in parts, or if I should buy one used, about the same $. I like working on my fleet, but is rebuilding going to be beyond a nitro newbie's ability? Are there any places that do or sell rebuilds? What's the best way to go here. Next question: Is the only difference between Hyper and "non" the head and the carb? If so, I could buy a non Hyper for cheaper and put my stuff on it. #3 : How hot should the backplate be ideally IN DEGREES! This sticking your finger on it and then turning the needle is not scientific enough for me. This summer is my first foray into nitro, the only 2 other guys I know both fly fuel, so I figured why not? So far I hate it. In the 3 months I've been trying it out, I've had an almost new pumped OS 91 scatter while I was landing, a .32 that just refuses to fire, and now the Hyper. With all the time my buddies spend landing and checking temp/mixture tweaking, etc. and $30 a gallon for fuel, I'm thinking I know why everyone seems to be going electric. I love the rocket power the 91 has, but it cost $330 for the new motor, and Oh yeah, #4, about how long can I expect it to last before it balls up the crank again? I read 10 - 15 gallons somewhere, not very long at the rate it sucks down fuel. On all my ships but the MA 700's I find my electric setups (HV a123) way more powerful than the nitro equivalent, and so far they've lasted hundreds of flights.
I didn't plan for this to turn into such a rant, but I'm disgusted at my luck. I really do enjoy the smoke and noise. I'm not giving up yet, but I'm looking seriously at gassers.
muley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would get a temp gun,you also can get a o.s hyper 50 brand new for $150 $160!!!
Heli Davey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've got a heat probe for my meter, I was just wondering what people thought for a baseline temp and where did they measure it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Backplate - 40 degrees is safe, usable and long lasting
45 degrees is higher performance
50 degrees is high performance but may reduce ring/piston life

Also depends on your oil and ambient temp etc

Around 100 to 110 degrees on the head in flight
So if you land to measure it you want it down around 90~95

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hyper Temp

I have the Hyper and the carbsmart and It likes to be at 100C =212F seems to be happy there 30%Cool Power.
Look around for the rebuild video here, not too hard at all. Just watch the video take notes. Have fun.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's what I was looking for, thanks. The guys at my field are constantly sticking their finger on the back plate and adjusting from that. I needed to see numbers.
I ordered the rod and bearings to rebuild. The rod broke at the bigend and is the only thing with visible damage, so I'll try the cheap way out. Add a sleeve and crank and it's not worth the money. My LHS says OS is blowing out the 50 cause of the new 55 coming out and he can get me one for 149.95, about $15 more than the parts to rebuild complete. I'll go that way if the old one doesn't work out. Winter is closing in fast, so I've got time to kill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in