Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDE Quality?

I just received the KDE performance tail pitch slider upgrade for my goblin 700, and man does it have tons of slop!

This is my 4th KDE product, and all 4 have had issues. My first was a 130x tail case, and the threaded hole for the tail fin wasn't threaded. I had to just run it without a bolt.

My second was a trex 700 one way bearing housing, and the top radial bearing that came in it was rough right out of the package. I had to buy some bearings from align to fix it before installation.

Third, I got the SXTS head for the same trex 700, and it appeared to have wobbles. Apparently KDE's machine shop's method for drilling the head button hole wasn't ideal (by their own admission).

I feel like I've been duped again with this sloppy tail slider setup. What gives? Where's the American-made quality? I feel most of my issues are minor, but they are there. Maybe I just have the worst luck, and happen to get the rare occasional bad parts.

Here's a video of my brand new "slop-free" (as KDE describes it) tail pitch slider, assembled as per the instructions.

[ame]http://youtu.be/48ALfRrKqqk[/ame]
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you Loctite the bearing into place as the instructions say in step #3. This might help out a little.

http://kdedirect.com/files/SG630-700...on_Diagram.pdf
thenewguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I loctited the two big bearings into the slider, but if I were to loctite the little ones, they'd just pop right out of place when the screws were tightened.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The bearings go in from the inside with the lip in if I remember right. If you put them in the other way you would have a lot of play. Take a look at that
LaDon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The slop in the video is with the bearings in from the inside, as per the instructions.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my phone the video is small enough I can't see it good enough
Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would call Patrick. He is a super nice guy and will get you fixed up
Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I emailed him about it last night, but haven't received a reply yet.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have not had a tail upgrade issue. but I have had that same OWB issue...bearing was bad out of the box. also the threads were messed up in one of the bolt holes that holds the gear to the OWB case, and I couldn't get the bolt out to save my life...broke it off in there.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update.

I heard from Patrick, and he said all the vertical play is normal, and there to keep it from binding. He said to use green Loctite to glue the bearings in. I did that, and it takes away the play. The only issue I see with it now is that I can't snug the screws down or the bearings will start to bind/side load or pop out of place. I have to run the screw down just until it's barely touching the bearing inner race and hope the Loctite will hold it. Doesn't have the play, but the screws are easily unscrewed even after the Loctite cures. I don't feel real confident not being able to snug down the screws.

My trex 700e has a very similar design pitch slider, doesn't have the same amount of play between the parts as the KDE, and doesn't bind.

WTH!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everything I've purchased from KDE (My trex 700 is more KDE than Align), I couldn't be happier with in relation to quality/performance. Then to top it off Patrick is one of the most responsive, helpful, informative person I've ever spoken with in the hobby. I have the KDE tail on two 700e's without the vertical slop I see in your video. Don't know if this helps but its been my experience!
PilotCR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a little late chiming in on this, but some of the Goblin tail booms are not always perfectly square, so when you tighten the side plate on the tail case the boom can cause the assembly to be miss aligned. Try loosening the tail case, if everything starts moving freely then that's it. You can try shimming the tail case to the boom fit, to get the system back in line when tightened up.
ranchhand is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had the KDE tail on two different bird, and they were perfecto. Zero issues. I have the KDE SXT head, main grip arms, FBL links, thrusted main bearings, tail slider mechanism, boom supports, tail boom clamp, and threaded adapters for the clamp all in my 700N, and it is one solid, slopless beast. Previously installed all of KDE's upgrades to the tail of a 600N and it made a very precisely performing tail of it as well. Everything that can be KDE is, and the bird sounds different than any 700N I've heard. There is simply no buzzing, rattling, or other sounds that are typical for an Align. Killer quality!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the KDE tail upgrade on my Logo690sx. It took out all the slop of the stock linkage and is silky smooth. I also had some correspondence with Patrick regarding getting a motor for my Logo550 and he was very helpful.

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in