Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Maidened 700 XXtreme. Couple questions.

HI,
I maidened my 700 Xxtreme this Saturday. Everything went smooth, but I have a few questions for you owners.

I'm using the stock motor with the YGE 160 w/ heatsink. I read that the Mikado YGE's are pre-programmed for the VBar Gov and that was the case with mine. My concern is the motor ran very hot, and the YGE I ordered is the one that comes with the 800 XXtreme kit. Do I need to change the timing or anything on the esc for the 700 XXtreme motor? I know Scorpions run hot, but I was just doing easy circuits for 3 min(breaking in batteries) and the motor was still really hot. Even with the canopy off. It was about 90 deg F outside.

I was running 1800 and 2000 head speeds with the 17t pinion. I also got a 16t pinion that I fitted last night, but haven't flown with it yet. Maybe that will help a little.

The esc and batteries were barely warm, so hopefully everything is ok.

I also read that that this hell is pretty quiet, but I didn't find that to be the case with mine. It wasn't unusually loud or anything, but no where near as quiet as my 600sx.

Other than the hot motor, it was really uneventful. It's my first true 700 and it's pretty amazing. The power is incredible and it flew like it was on rails with very little tweaking so far.

Thanks
R.J.
RJVan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What temp is the motor running? On a 90F day, the motor can run 170-190F easily.
zguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy View Post
What temp is the motor running? On a 90F day, the motor can run 170-190F easily.
Hi,
I need to get a temp gun and find out what it is exactly. I couldn't touch it for any length of time though. 1/2 sec max. Just concerned me because I wasn't pushing it at all.

Thanks
R.J.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy View Post
+1

The Scorpion gets hot.

Logo 480 / Logo 600sx / Logo 690 / Logo 700 / Vbar Control
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the 800 yge on my 700 also. Works great ,

Software is locked to work with Mikado motors (10pole) and vbar gov , so your not able to make adjustments. There isn't a need to unlock either.

A few notes on the YGE after 200+ flights on my 800 and ~100 on 700.

- Servo lead wires. YGE runs the wires from either side of the middle board and across the pins poking up from the lower board. With some vibration the pins will go thru the insulation of the leads and blow up esc. I've done it . What I suggest is to route the wires up against the cap board , then put a sleeve of fuel tubing on the leads as they come across the pins. Then take a low temp hot glue gun and get some glue in there to keep them from shaking around.

Mounting
- I use this mounting method now
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ht=broken+tabs
A bit of work but worth it I think. Hopefully it won't break esc if I crash again.
Stock setup is nonsense , main control board as mounting method. Good marketing as a new esc is over $400. ( not cost effective to replace board )

I know it sound like a lot , but I really do like these esc's , just had a tough break in period to get where I'm at. I'm also a big kontronics fan and the YGE work just as great.

Noise :

I find the logo quieter than a typical 700. I can see it being louder than a 600 though.

Check your gear mesh , if your to tight you will heat up and make lots of racket.

Mesh : you can be looser than you'd think with these big gears and the herringbone setup.

I set my mesh by rocking the gear back and forth , your hear the knock knock when you wiggle the maingear ( blades off or spread out ) , check it in several different spots around the gear while trying to find the high spot . Once your at the high spot and you still get a knock your good to go. If you go too far it won't knock.
Of course center alignment of pinion is important.

I've done the mild hover before and I'm also surprised by how hot the motor will get doing that seemingly simple task. My theory is that it's a constant load causes the heat build up. Normal flight the motor will unload and actually run cooler.

Martin
Logo 600 8917/ 9188 4035-500 VBC NEO
rcmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much for the advise guys. I feel better now. I'll check the gear mesh. I have no backlash on the high spot now with very little everywhere else. I'll try backing it off a bit.

Good advise on the esc as well. I'll definitely look at protecting the esc wires better.

Thanks!
R.J.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVan View Post
I have no backlash on the high spot now with very little everywhere else. I'll try backing it off a bit.
I wouldn't. What you're describing sounds ideal. The 700 Xxtreme is very quiet for a big 700, but it isn't quiet compared to the molded framed Logos; compare it to the racket of a Goblin 700 instead. Also if you're running Edge 715 blades on it, they're well known for having some deep tones.

The herringbone main gear on the L700 is indeed a beefy piece of awesome. But, if your mesh is too loose and you punch it hard, you can still strip some teeth. And as you probably discovered, it's no picnic getting those gears in and out sometimes.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I left the backlash like I usually do it on my Logo's. No backlash at the high spot and very little everywhere else. I got a chance to fly it today and I brought my temp gauge.

I flew for 5:00 at 1750 and 1900 and each time the temp was 160 on the side of the motor and 130 on the top. This is with a 16T pinion and was ~20 seconds after landing so it was probably slightly higher in flight.

I guess that is within limits and seems normal for a 90+ degree day.

Thanks for the help all.

R.J.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVan View Post
the temp was 160 on the side of the motor and 130 on the top. This is with a 16T pinion and was ~20 seconds after landing so it was probably slightly higher in flight.

I guess that is within limits and seems normal for a 90+ degree day.
I would say that's actually quite low for a 90 degree day. I think you're in good shape.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

16th pinion = lower temps.
zguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

For you guys using v-bar with kosmik what are your head & tail gains?
kevinbj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the stock setup with an 18 tooth pinion at 2000 HS and the hottest my scorpion has gotten is 160 degrees at a 4:30 hard flight.
Alignment is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in