Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have just ordered a HK-500GT as well.

Wondering how well will it fly with in stock form.
Planning to use it with 6s 3000mAH 20c lipo at the moment, but still split on the choice of motor and ESC. I am also wondering what would be a good servo up for recommendation.
misato is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #222 (permalink)

Misato.
I am planing on useing these parts in my HK 500GT so far. If anyone has any better ideas please let me know and also I am not sure about the tail servo yet.
*Turnigy 3000mAh 6S 20C iipo pack
*TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller
*Turnigy Typhoon 500H Heli Motor 1800kv (500 Class)
(I want to find a 11T pinion for this motor)
(I am also watching an Ebay auction for an OEM Trex motor I may use with a 12T pinion and keep the Typhoon 500H as backup)
I am going to replace the frame with this;
*HK500-GT CF Main Frame set
*Turnigy S3317M Servo 26g / 3.0kg / .14sec
(3 of these servos for cyclic)
*Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger
*IMAX Power Supply 100~240v 5A
*Telebee Head Lock & Standard Gyro (Digital/Analog)
(How does everyone like this gyro? )
And I have been thinking about this servo;
*Towerpro MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servo 3.6kg / 26g / 0.14sec
(I also seen somewhere where some people use this servo for the tail. A bit more pricy than the other. Has anyone used it with the Telebee Gyro? How did it work?)
*MKS DS9660 Precise Digital Servo 4.6kg/.10sec/27g

Any suggestions would be nice on my setup. Thanks.

Eric
mekaone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Go for a bigger charger. The max the Accucel 6 will charge your pack is 1.8A-1.9A. Limited to 50W.
craighel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HK-500GT back in stock. Cool
Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 AM   #225 (permalink)

Talking

Hey Craighel.
Thanks for the suggestion about the charger but I don't have a suitable power supply for anything larger so I'll stick with this one out of connivence.
Did you order the HK 500GT?
Last I checked there was like 70 left. Last night when my order was filled and I think there was around 150 in stock. Going quick.
I just checked my order and it is marked a shipped
Now it could take 7 to 40 days to get to me in the States
It'll be soon enough though.
mekaone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you had it sent EMS you'll get it in a week. If you went Registered Airmail then you'll get it in about two weeks. For a while it was taking about a week for HK to actually ship the Airmail shipments but they got my last two orders on the way in two days. Large improvement in that turn-around after many customer complaints.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would stay away from the Telebee gyro. It's ok if you're a beginner and don't mind fiddling with it, but it's very temperature sensitive and I had to tweak it at the beginning of each flight session because the required gain would change with the temperature. If you want a cheap gyro, then get the G401B, which I hear is similar in performance to a GY401.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A 500GT will be my next heli. Its in my watch list.

I just need to finish building my second CopterX 450. So I need to wait.

So much to buy.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would avoid the typhoon motor. A number of folks (myself included) have had problems with the magnets coming loose, resulting in the destruction of the motor, and a white-knuckle landing.

I would recommend the stock Align, a Scorpion 1400, or if you want to stay on a budget, and get something from hobbyking, this one: http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...28500_Class%29

The MG930 seem fine for cyclics, but may be a bit slow for the tail. I would recommend spending some money on the tail setup with a good gyro and servo. You can get a used Futaba 401 for $70-$80 which will be tons better than anything Hobbyking sells at the moment. As for tail servo, I went with a Futaba 9257. I've used MKS on other aircraft, and they are good servos, so the 9660 is probably a good option as well.
mikeinde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 250 GT and 500 GT came yesterday. EMS shipping took 7 days as I placed the order the 2nd.

First impresion of the 250 was"that is a small choper"

First impression of the 500 was"that sure looks like a nice choper"

The fiberglass canopy was a bit smashed on the 500. A heat gun seems to have fixed that.Everything else is just fine.

As a new guy the choices for servos and especially gyros are kinda tough.

What would be a good gyro in the lower price range? Not thinking 3D just learning to hover and fly a bit.

Will post as progress is made. Heading to Kief so it will be a week or so before I can start the build.
wrugen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your after a good cheap motor, then try going to dealextreme.com. They have a 1700kv Hobbymate brushless motor for $21.50 USD delivered. I've been using it for a while now, and so far so good. For the money, anyway.

As for a gyro, try the Assan GA-410. I've used one on my HK-450, and it worked brilliantly. I've heard others using it on their 500's, and it's cheaper than the Teelebee.

I've been thinking of buying the GT, but it might be better to upgrade my standard heli with the metal head, and while I'm at it throw on the CF frame.

Does anyone know much about this 2024 alloy main frame. Is it any different to what's on the standard model:glasses2:
burdo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow guys did you see the new parts?

They seem to be very good quality
Stacked is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdo View Post
If your after a good cheap motor, then try going to dealextreme.com. They have a 1700kv Hobbymate brushless motor for $21.50 USD delivered. I've been using it for a while now, and so far so good. For the money, anyway.

As for a gyro, try the Assan GA-410. I've used one on my HK-450, and it worked brilliantly. I've heard others using it on their 500's, and it's cheaper than the Teelebee.

I've been thinking of buying the GT, but it might be better to upgrade my standard heli with the metal head, and while I'm at it throw on the CF frame.

Does anyone know much about this 2024 alloy main frame. Is it any different to what's on the standard model:glasses2:
Which servo are you using with the Assan GA-410

Thanks for the info
wrugen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my HK-450 I used a Spektrum S75 with the Assan GA-410 gyro. Held the tail steady as a rock.

On my T500, I'm using the Towerpro MG930, it's a little slow (.14 sec), but it holds the tail quite well.

I've heard people are using the GWS Park HPX servo with some success.
burdo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Its Hobby City guys....

Personally, I love Hobby City. They give my very very good prices on RC parts. Without them, I would not be able to afford the hobby. I am a 17 year old student, on a tight budget.

I ordered and built and now fly an HK450. Sure, the plastic head and tail needed to be replaced, but buying from HC saved me hundreds of dollars that i didnt have.

I recently bought a HK500 GT. Still waiting on shipping.

I think that what a lot of people who purchase these cheap, discount helicopters and components need to realize, is what you are buying. Hobby City sells you a cheap, knock off helicopter, and i feel like a lot of people expect a Trex 500. Sure, faulty swashplates and other parts are obnoxious, but if you just saved 200 dollars by going with the HK500GT, I would recommend just going on xHeli or Amainhobbies, and getting a new part. Trying to go through HC and trying to convince them that they should re-engineer the heli and send you a new part, i do not see it happening. Also, that leaves your heli sitting in a box for months on end while you wait.

Granted, I only have one helicopters so I am very impatient with waiting for parts, but I would say that expected HC to replace faulty parts is not economical or worth it by any means. I like to build and fly helicopters, not wait for parts. Take what i said with a grain of

ANYWAYSS.

Would you guys recommend for the cheapest servos for the HK500 GT. The TowerPro servos are out of stock... but is there a good alternative that is also sub 25 dollars?
MKlinkerRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #236 (permalink)
rrg
Registered Users

This thing is driveing me nuts trying to find servos to fit it.....
rrg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any more thoughts on the HK500GT? I'm very tempted to buy one, infact here's my shopping cart ready for payday (ignore the tail blades, gonna get align ones instead):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cart.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	125580  
PlaneHazza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

eazdghas ahadgnhag athadgh
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

huh?!
PlaneHazza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't you just love those late Saturday Night posts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in