Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A Good Buy?Newbie knows nothing!!!

I am new in the sport and have eight electric choppers. I have a savage x nitro truck, so I know very little about nitro engines. I have the opportunity to buy a Raptor 50 that hasn't been flown in 2 years. He is giving a second one that is at 90% and has all electronics in it. Also comes with a box of parts to complete the 2nd one, and a bunch of other stuff like spare engine, tanks,etc. The guy is like a huge flying guru at this club....very involved and smart so nothing is messed up. He said the one that flies will have to be gone through cause it hasn't run in a while so it will be all gummed up.
Good deal or bad deal?....Can you still get parts for this thing? Has a flybar which I have one so I know what's involved, but for the price?
What is the pitfall to nitros that is gona be an issue? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
nc-dogman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

it,s a great flying heli, I have mine converted to fbl, you didn't say a price, but, as of now, there are NO parts available. bend just a tail boom and your done, break a belt, your done., so beware.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
it,s a great flying heli, I have mine converted to fbl, you didn't say a price, but, as of now, there are NO parts available. bend just a tail boom and your done, break a belt, your done., so beware.
wow. really.... i didn't know that.. on that alone i wouldn't buy it but it might not bother some. i mean you could always put the electronics into another heli maybe a trex 600nitro if its a good deal.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are parts out there but you can't count on anything. So 1 little thing and you might be done.

If you want to get into helis maybe it's worth it. But don't expect it to last long.

If you are thinking of about it just because it is there I would maybe avoid it. Unless you get it free.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

the reason I still fly mine a lot is I saw the handwriting on the wall. I laid in tons of parts while they were still available.i can keep going for awhile.i did dump my raptor 90 and bought a trex700 tho, due to no parts.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awesome life savor guys....THANKS A MILLION!!! I have the opportunity to buy a Synergy E7 also. That uses the same batteries as my 550x, just 2 of them. Seems like a better idea then the Raptor 50 since I can still get Synergy parts. A lot more money, but a lot more bird also. Things only been flown 20 times or less. You guys just saved one newbie a lot of headache and I can't thank you enough.
Rock on Heli Freak!!
nc-dogman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-dogman View Post
Awesome life savor guys....THANKS A MILLION!!! I have the opportunity to buy a Synergy E7 also. That uses the same batteries as my 550x, just 2 of them. Seems like a better idea then the Raptor 50 since I can still get Synergy parts. A lot more money, but a lot more bird also. Things only been flown 20 times or less. You guys just saved one newbie a lot of headache and I can't thank you enough.
Rock on Heli Freak!!
Buy the E7 if you can afford it... it be a much much better heli.. my dream heli is a E5 i will have one , one of these days maybe. or might go big and get a E7 never thought i would want a big heli but my dad just got a logo 690. so yeah its cool.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last response was last year but I'll chime in anyway I was out of the hobby flying airplanes some 19 years ago. I decided to get back into it and picked up a never flown raptor 30 for $120. After my first crash and dwindled parts availability I decided to pick up a 130x which cost me $200. So far I'm another $80 into the 130x due to landing it in different configurations. I am now back to flying the raptor very mild and I'm loving it. I do have some spare parts in the event of a mishap but for $120 I'm not too worried.,
I just started piro climbs yesterday. Parts hard parts are not easily available but who's to say you can't fit other heli parts on it.
I am currently researching sizes of different parts which I may be able to fit with o our without some modification.
. A trex 700 head or tail for instance.
At the end of the day I hope I can become proficient enough to step up the game next year and then the raptor into a scale gels. She flies beautifuly but my only FBL is a mosquito compared to the raptor. I plan to stay with the flybar. For now.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't compare a Blade micro to any kit heli, like comparing a toy to a race car..lol

Worst thing in this hobby is having a heli you can't get parts for. Some Frankenstein helis fly okay but come with their own set of problems regarding proper fit ect.

Much better off getting a tried and true model like the X3 so when you make a parts order there's no question on whether the parts will fit. Things that "kinda" fit can be a recipe for disaster or a pain in the ass at best.

Paid $150 for my old Trex and there's already enough parts out there to last a lifetime. No need to take chances or have to order from 5 places to get everything you need so you end up paying more in shipping cost than you do for parts.

Of course there's nothing wrong with some Frankenstein action if you're into that, I'd rather be flying than cobbling things together.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

but prices on ebay are not that cheap. i was watching one raptor 50 and it went for about £200 at auction. other listed ones are even more at BIN. you'd think an obsolete model would be worth much less. maybe theres enough parts floating about secondhand to make them viable. one thing in the raptors favour is it was a popular model and so its always going to be easier to get parts or donors than for rarer machines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in