Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 550X

Blade 550X Blade 550X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good points Oreca,

I would like to know too. I am a new pilot. I have learned the flying part (fly around without crashing) but know nothing about setup.

A nice mellow generic setup of the ESC so we can fly and learn would be nice.

Thank you,

Varooom
Varooom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Varoom & Oreca, most of the ESC settings aren't going to affect the flight of the hell very much; they need to be chosen based on your drivetrain, battery, etc. James' settings should be considered the "default" and you can modify from there if you wish.

The most important thing to set if you want tame handling is the head speed. The minimum recommended with stock gears is 1900 RPM. I started with that on mine and found that handled very similar to my modestly-powered 500. I think if you go with that you'll be okay.

Nothing extra is required to use the governor mode.
I think I know what the autorotation setting does but I don't want to misinform you if I'm wrong. In any case I left it alone.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello guys,

I did a lot of researching the past few days...Didn't even know you had to calibrate your ESC first...

Anyway here are some pointers:

- If you have the AR7200BX with Castle ESC you have to calibrate the ESC endpoints to learn what is 0% and what is 100% throttle: First setup the ESC with the castle link software and set it to Vehicle type: Helicopter, Throttle Mode: Fixed Endpoints.
- Then consider if you want to use auto rotation feature.. This feature is making sure that you can get a fast spool up when removing power from the motor. Normally, spooling up takes time, time you don't have in flight. When you use auto rotation feature, you never set the throttle to 0% by configuring your Tx, thus you can spool up fast again. It is used to practice auto rotations.
- Make the choice now before calibrating the ESC. When you change it, you have to calibrate the ESC again.
- There is a whole procedure to configure ESC with/without autorotation, see post 39 in link: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=392688&page=2. after you setup the ESC, set the throttle mode to governor mode and set RPM mode and download the settings to the ESC.
- Governor mode is nothing more then getting a constant headspead.. Before I even now about governor, I just set the throttle curve linear and in stunt 1 and 2 a V-curve. Then I was controlling the motor output power. But with governor the ESC will do that for you... Basically you give the Tx a flat throttle curve-> 30%, 70%, 100% and when configuring the ESC (Throttle mode set to Governor mode, Set RPM mode), you can set different headspeeds for those curves.
- It's a different method of spooling up...Now the heli starts spooling up if you set throttle mode off, and your throttle stick will control the pitch only.
-The white cable can be used for realtime governor mode... Basically, you can use a AUX channel to be able to change the gain during flight... But I'm using the Castle Lock, so I need the white cable for that and I will setup the gain in the ESC (you don't need the white cable then).

2x Blade MCPX, MCPX BL, SR, 120SR, 2x 130X, 300CFX, 400, 450X V2, 2x 550X, controlled by DX8
Oreca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default James Haley's Castle Settings for 550x/600x

Couple of questions

I am using the settings to the letter other than auto rotate off. My RPM settings change from 1900, 2100 and 2250 to 1904, 2104 and 2267. Regardless of putting them back they keep resorting back to the above.

Also, current limit is disabled. Sounds like something you would want on to avoid excessive load?

Two flights in, just hovers and it all seems to work great other than the RPM not holding the set number.
Kinens is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

The RPM is just a CC quirk, no problem unless you are OCD.

Current limit is a safety device that set too low or turned off can have nasty censequences.

I set my ESC to "insensitive". The idea of the bird doing the "funky chicken" after a crash or worse still, bursting into flame does not appeal to me.

You may find the motor stuttering on startup with BK's settings. The latest update and raising the startup power sorts that out.
Ted
HeliWobbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in