Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would change the rear gear set to the new "enhanced" black gears; always checking mesh and smoothness. I can't recall if there are two or three versions of the white gears. The original white gears were bolted to there corresponding shafts. The next version had the bevel gears pinned and the counter gear molded onto the shaft (same as the black gears). I also have a set of (front ?) white umbrella gears with a thin shim attached.

There are two boom blocks. The newest boom block has recesses molded in for the nylock nut the pinch the boom, and the spacers can be removed from one (the left) side of the boom block. I never had any issues with the front gears stripping and have full confidence in the original boom block with the newest white gears. I had stripped several rear gear sets until the newest white gear set which I replaced with the new black gears when they were stripped in a crash.

I would contact the seller (of the heli) and ask if any revised parts were replaced and if they experienced any issues with the heli. Make sure that you have the newest main gear. I don't remember what was changed but there is a difference (maybe thicker ; more material). I think you will figure out what you have based on the descriptions given, if not, feel free to post any pictures they will help identify what you have. Just use the gears in pairs (black tail shaft bevel gear with black umbrella gear not black tail shaft bevel gear with newest white umbrella gear) and you should be fine. I still believe that the new "v2" tail assembly will provide the best results.
p00rboi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK just by looking at it the front umbrella gear it is the kind with an Allen set screw V1? Right? So should I replace it? I have the black ones that are pinned. For the front and the rear. 2nd looking at the new boom block I got it does have the recessed for the nuts to go in should I go ahead and just put it all the new stuff in together? I'm thinking yes! The boom block on it now don't have the recess for the nuts. I would say this is the v1 kit Other than having the orange aluminum servo backs it has an aluminum motor mount middle piece but it's silver not orange is that stock to? I have seen some that were black I though it might come plastic stock? You know the middle of the 3 piece motor mount? Also I got a few more questions my 3rd bearing block is all the way up and it seems to still have about 2 or 3mm up/down play is this normal? And my ball likns seem really brittle like I broke two just putting it togther but I'm buying new ones before I fly it is that normal to? I wouldn't thing so? Maybe it's just sat for awhile? But hey man thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it, If I can? I will try to avoid a crash at all cost. Especially since I fly 3D and I know some times. I will have this thing headed at me at more then 50+mph upside down and back wards! lol
Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It definitely sounds like you have an early run kit. I have a first run kit and my entire motor mount is silver as well. There are a ridiculous amount of revised parts that were made available since the release of this kit. Without knowing if your particular kit had any issues it's hard to advise which parts to replace.

You want to take all the up and down play out of the head/main shaft assembly by adjusting the 3rd bearing block. Since you have adjusted it to the max and there is still play you need to elongate the bolt holes in the frame with a dremel.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the links. The links are thick and hard to put on, but not brittle. They may be aftermarket.? I would contact the seller and inquire about any problems that may have been encountered and go from there.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes I already asked the guy and he said it wasn't flown much but it didn't have any of the problems that some of the Velocity 90's had. About the up/down play? I was reading that it was a Jesus bolt issue with the main shaft holes being to big? They said to buy the newer main shaft and this will go away? It makes sense to me because I can move it but I can't really see ant thing moving? (If that makes any sense?) I was thinking about trying a larger diameter Jesus bolt? But then I though nah to dangerous. So I bought a new main shaft. If it don't work then I will dremel out the holes in the frame. So I did change to all the black gears and newer boom block. Now my drive train is quieter but it's also a tad tighter. Think it's gonna hold? I hope it does! I noticed to my main tail drive gear is really warped it's warped so bad now some times only about half of it is in contact with the tail drive gear. Man I love this heli but I hope the heck it's not a disaster waiting to happen!? That will really suck bad!! My Velocity 50V1 was fantastic I loved it. I just hope I can say the same for this 90!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I remember a new main shaft being released, but I didn't have to use it until I crashed. I was able to get all of the play out with adjusting the 3rd bearing block. "Tight is right!" with the tail drive it should wear in within a few flights. I would replace the main tail drive gear. You don't want the power surging to your tail; that's asking for a stripped tail gear.

I still fly the Velocity 50 n1; it's hard to upgrade when the one I have flys great. I'm sure the 90 will bring a smile to your face.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We shall see I will report back after I fly it the first time. I'm waiting on quite a few parts from quit a few different places. Who knows how long these could take to get here?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

The first two runs of the velocity 90 had a main shaft with the bottom hole too large. If you have adjusted the bottom bearing block and you still have play then it is most likely the main shaft. You can pick up a current shaft with proper size hole or you can use a clamping the collar on the mainshaft.
Other updates to the velocity 90 since the first run are :
-new swash with the correct orientation (120 degree was off. These were swapped out by the factory)
-a new fan shroud(has a relief built in for easier removal.
-New fan hub( tighter tolerances)
-New motor mount(one piece and lighter)
-New landing gear (stronger and more rigid.
Most of these changes we to enhance the kit but not neccesary. I personally waited for a crash until i changed anything.
Hope this helps
Tone
Team Lynx
tS8103 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sweet thanks for all the information guys. So far? I have ordered new ball links (mine seem brittle) New main shaft the B version. New Main tail drive gear (mine was warped) I already got the new boom block front and rear black gears. I'm thinking about the one piece engine mount as my Velocity seems heavy. Compared to my T-Rex 700 I bough the newer style white landing gear. I just got it, I haven't even got to maiden it and have already spent close to $100.00 in new parts for it. So? I just hope this thing holds together and rips! As long as it does I will be one happy mammer jammerer!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1st flight report today. It was freaking amazing to say it lightly. This Velocity 90 is a way smoother machine than the T-Rex N IMO it probably flys more true to. I didn't really get to open it up but I did some Tic tocs piro flips and funnels the Velocity 90 went right where I pointed it. Where my T-Rex had a slight tail twitch in a fast hard tail down funnel the Velocity 90 did not. I'm very pleased indeed. I have to say I was worried after I first bought it reading all the horror story's about tail gears being blown. + other issues so I took my time did my research and I would say it really paid off. Right from the get go my blades tracked perfect. It was so smooth it was amazing and this is a used airframe. When I got it it had a noisy gear train. I swapped out boom blocks put the black front and rear tail drive gears. Mine also had the Jesus bolt play in the main shaft. So I replaced the main shafts with the new style bam no more play. I also went ahead and installed the KDE thrusted bearing blocks. Awesome just awesome now I just hope it stays like this and I will be very happy with it. I'm glad I switched from the Align T-Rex N to the Velocity 90. Here is a picture of my sweet bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1998.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	357862  
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's great to hear! Thanks for the follow up.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am looking at the V2 and after this I am going to order it up!!!! I have always loved the look's and have wanted one for years and finally bought a Fusion 50 and was amazed at it!!!!! I now want the nitro 50 and 90, I can hardly wait for this -30c stuff to go away so I can get out and burn some nitro!!!!
flyswatter40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

im also looking at fb velocity 90... kinda hard to pass up the price they are going now... i want to make it fb, because i kinda want to compare fb to fbl now than i fly helis better than when i had my last fb heli! i know there was a guy who retrofitted gaui x7 gears to fusion 50, has someone done the same on velocity?
rimaarts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in