Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default which kit?

Hi group,

What does everyone think of this kit?? http://flying-hobby.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=172

is this the same kit in the finless video "first flight with wood blades" Same motor? Because he is flying that better than i will for a long time. I think he is using the digital servos from the dx7. Anybody know anything about these servos? I dont think they are digital. But will they be ok to start with?

Im still a beginner doing figure eights and fast forward flight. Im wondering if this would be a good starting kit and later down the road upgrade the motor and etc.
From what i have read the first must have upgrades are carbon blades and the new motor mount with 8mm shaft. any other suggetions?

all opinions appreciated,

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think that the kit that they are selling would be do this is the same kit as finless started with less the servos and batteries
Carbon blades or new motor mount are really not necessary for basic flights as you are doing but once you get into a little 3D you may wish to upgrade to carbons and metal head as well as more powerful motor etc.
odieser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks,

have you heard anything about the servos in this kit? I have never heard of the name before. Im wondering if they are junk or if they will work ok.

Thanks again,
Old 07-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no I havent I suppose they would be fine went the finless route and got a DX7 and servos for my hurricane
odieser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

the problem with this kit is, you always get what you pay for, I think that its worth looking into the parts that you get in this kit to see if they are ok or not but, I think that very quickly after buying this kit you will be spending another at least $100.00 upgrading it so that it works better for you. I would consider this option.

www.readyheli.com
1.buy the hurricane base kit. $249.00 this is a good start.
2.buy the RCP carbon blades $49.00 dont need them for first flight but a must.
3.buy the gaui 1500w motor $89.00 stock 1000w motor is not good enough.
3.buy align 75amp esc $79.00 this is a very good esc and gives you lots of motor options
4.buy align k01663TA BEC with 5.1v stepdown for gyro a must $16.99
5.buy any 7.4v lipo 1100mah or so for bec $16.99
6.look into the Futaba 3050 digital servos very good and cheap $40.00 each they can work at 6v which is good because the bec is 5.8v and .16@90oz. plus the hurricane really is made for futaba servos and wheels.
7.buy the Futaba GY401 + 9254 combo about $200.00 and will work perfect.

and finally I think I found the best deal on cheap lipos, look for Vislero 3s2100 this company used to be apex makes ok lipos and they are 15c 24c burst should work well and the best part $39.00 each. I found them at www.cheapbatterypacks.com under lipo specials.

your total would be $899.00 for all this with 2 lipos I think a really good start and something you can build on. plus take $50.00 off if you think you dont need carbon blades but trust me from balancing the blades to tracking etc carbon is the only way to go. you put them on and forget about it they will be perfect every time you go out to fly.

I hope this gives you some more ideas I'm not knocking the deal you found just want you to have more options to think about.
aaronmatlo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yea and also sticking with this theme of you get what you pay for, going with readyheli will also get you great support and if there are any problems with the lit John will take care of it for you ASAP. Many people dont think of support until after they get something and it isnt right then they play hell trying to get it resolved. You can gaurentee this woint happen with Readyheli!!!!!

Also what you might be getting from this other place is a OLD kit with all the problems that have been fixed already. Readyheli WONT sell you an old kit and you will get a CURRENT KIT! Why take the risk?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree 100% with Finless, I purchased my kit from readyheli and the service has been well, its the best I have ever come across. John is the nicest guy and I cant say enough how quick he gets back to you, how fast you receive your parts and yes he only stocks the newest kits. I initially went their because he had the XES PRO SE kits with all the CNC parts, I went that way because the one thing I have learned over the past 4 years is I never regret buying the top end kit with all the goodies. you pay a little more but save in the end.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks guys!

This is really the info i needed to hear. I think you are both absolutely correct. aaronmatlo, Im going to use your suggestions , I think it will be cheaper in the long run.

for $10 more should i go with the century 600 motor? also should i get metal grips with this setup? and the Metal elevator bell crank and the metal motor mount 8mm and cnc gears upgrade like finless suggest?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure i didnt miss anything.

I really appreciate all your guys help

JBuck
Old 07-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well if your going to do that then just do what I did and get the XES Pro SE it has every single upgrade that the hurricane has right now, even the short boom that most people want. But you can add those later also but it will cost you much more the XES Pro SE is $459.00 so $210.00 more, if you price the head alone its $298.00 just for the head plus the bellcranks plus the motor mount plus the boom and belt. If you have the money get the XES Pro but if you dont but think its close to your budget, save for another month so that you can, thats what I did I'm still saving money to finish mine, but in the end I know I'm going to have the heli I want. P.S. I went with the align 600xl 1650kv 1600w-2000w motor but then you run into more problems when you do this like needing the revco gears FOR SURE and the batteries will not last at all if you run 2100's I'm going to be buying the flight power EVO 30 3s 3200's for mine.

good luck I think your on the right path now I think the rest is just preference
and building it for your style and what your expectations are, I want a trex 600 killer so thats my thing, lighter, same motor and nice CNC parts for less.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ya, i just ran the numbers and you are right. im going to get the xes pro kit. it will take me longer to get in the air but it will be cheaper in the long run. and i will have a nicer bird.

im not sure what motor i should go with , the gaui or the century 600. i think the 600xl is overkill for me and i would rather have a little longer run time verses hard 3d.
i need to hear more about these motors. i think they are the same kv and about the same price. (+ - $10) So i need to hear what people have to say.

thanks for all your input,
Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Z Power Z20 is a very good efficient motor that will be great for all but hard 3D

runs cooler and gives better flight times than stock Gaui motors

Take a look and see what you think

When you want more power go up to the Z30

Just thought

Ben
Borneoben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regards the motor option you are having I agree with Wazzer. After a lot of thread reading I got the Z20-980 which exactly what I need. I m new to this as well and Z20 fits my flying style (non 3D).
The good thing about this motor is that is a good quality motor and if you decide to upgraded with the Z30 or similar you get a good price for it. Finally what really made me decide to buy this motor was that it’s gentle with my batteries and run cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in