Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Merlin Tracer 60 Drifting

Hey guys,

I'm new to Choppers i've got a merlin Tracer 60. I can take off and fly around fine but getting it to hover is difficult as it just does wide clockwise circles. i've tried adjusting the trims but it doesn't seem to have much effect is it normal for these models to do this because of the counter rotating rotors i don't expect it to be rock solid but it just seems to be drifting an awfull lot.?

cheers
abruce43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the heli that he's talking about: http://www.eclipsehobbies.co.uk/product.asp?id=3134

Have you crashed it?
Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What you're getting is the Toilet Bowl Effect (or TBE). Put 'TBE' into the HF search and it will answer all your questions. The short ersion is the flybar (the bar on top of the rotors) is linked to the control surfaces so the blades have a tendency to want to follow the same plane as the flybar, which is alwas trying to return to level. This is why they're so stable! But with coaxials, if that flybar doesn't rotate absolutely freely, it will react a split second slower than the tilt. So the flybar correction comes a split second too late. So your heli is always playing catching to find its level, and this shows up as a slow circle. Make absolutely sure your flybar is as loose as it can be - lubricating it with some powdered pencil lead can be helpful, but make sure you don't get any near the motors. This should sort you out!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No Hadn't crashed it until yesterday so i went and got a new flybar and got the guy at the hobby store to test fly it flew great at the store he did mention the flybar problem. Also cause the thing only weighs somthing like 27g he said to make sure that all the windows and doors were shut in the area i was flying in i've done this and it has improved dramtically except for when i'm very close to the ground or an object. So overall looks like the issue has fixed it self. Very happy with this chopper great for flying around the office on night shifts
abruce43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in