Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haven't been following this thread lately. Can anyone tell me what the general consensus on what kit to use is? I'm looking forward to modding the Nano.
BigEast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Did you try Gov ARM mode yet? With a deep v curve for the tail, ppl are reporting good, solid tail hold with the stock boom/motor.

As I understand it, a brushless tail motor won't have the same speed as the brushes version. But it has plenty of torque. To make up the difference, ppl run the larger tail rotor like the RRC. So you might not be able to away from it.

Could someone do a write up on how to set that up. I have BLHeli documaentaion. When I try ro enter programing mode it spools up. I know I am doing some thing wrong.

Found my answer. https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=417

Last edited by Lu523; 12-08-2012 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: found answer.
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got into programing mode now to see what I can do with it.

Last edited by Lu523; 12-08-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Haven't been following this thread lately. Can anyone tell me what the general consensus on what kit to use is? I'm looking forward to modding the Nano.
Probably better to ask Dylan at Astroid Designs which of his kits would suit you best-- wild or mild. Dylan <Astroid@cox.net> He gets a ton of email but he answers, works on helis, invents stuff, modifies the toys, manufactures CF parts, etc. You get it. He's an all around good guy.

That brings up a couple of questions:
I think both kits have the same weight, no? Someone?
If so, then wouldn't a wild kit governed down to low headspeed replace a mild kit?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both kits are the same weight, the only difference is the wind/kV of the motor. The wild kits has a higher kV which would result in higher head speed. On paper you could just run a lower HS but in practice these little helis hate low HS because it makes the tail work much harder-you can see this as kick at the top and bottom of pitch pumps.

You would get much better performance by picking the kit that most matches your flying style. If you want a crude but easy break down mild-for inside and wild for outside.
rew-7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Headspeed question

I don't have a flying style unless crashing is stylish.

So, my wild nano is good for outside. I got that. Dylan's fixing me up a wild one.

Then if I govern down the wild kit to match the mild kit's headspeed does the tail motor work harder? Will flight characteristics differ if both spin the rotors at say- 4500 RPM?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its not easy to explain but yes you will be making the tail work harder. To run the wild motor at the same HS as the mild you will have to set your throttle or gov signal lower, this means that at that same HS the wild motor will actually be outputing less power which will inturn makes it easier to bog the head (less power=more head speed variance)-which makes the tail work harder. The wild motor will always be better at higher HS.

I've got 2 nano's and have runs quite a few different set up's to find the best for me.
nano1-mild motor brushed tail-proven good set up.
nano2-wild motor with brushless tail-too be tested sometime this week (performs well in the house but not tested in anger-yet).

Getting to were I am now has taken alot of testing with different set ups. If you get it wrong these nanos are less forgiving than Mcpx. The tail is where you see it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fitted some new landing gear: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=479582

Just posting for reference.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default dbl brushless nano ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rew-7 View Post
Its not easy to explain...

nano2-wild motor with brushless tail-too be tested sometime this week (performs well in the house but not tested in anger-yet).

Getting to were I am now has taken alot of testing with different set ups. If you get it wrong these nanos are less forgiving than Mcpx. The tail is where you see it.
What tail motor ?

Thanks for explaining. My wild boy gets here soon. My other will be brushless, too thanks to Dylan.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm on my phone so will be brief.
I'm testing a HP02t as nano tail-so far I'm not convinced so wait until I've played with settings. Tail is not fast enough and some form of brushed may be a better option. I can only test on tues nights (for any 3D) but tail is slow out of flips etc. I'm going to play with gain settings before I decide.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I also have troubles with the HP02t. (Main 16600 kv HP03)
It does not work at all with KBDD or stock prop.
Tail blow out for 360°
But: Using a RRC/Plantraco prop the tail holds perfectly (but I do not like those huge props on the tiny Nano).
Strange: with the tiny Hextronik 2g outrunner tail holds far better with the small props (KBDD, stock) - did not try KBDD on Hextronik and Nano so far (only on mCP x long ago - it worked well).
Also have LVCs regularry with HP02t tail motor. Will remove the resistor for LVC on the Nano board soon and report results.

Curious if anyone has good results with HP02t tailmotor and the "small props" (KBDD, stock) with "wild" main motor (In this setup I used HP03 16600 and 8t pinion).

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use Walkera 4#3 and 4g3 props which are big on the nano. I think the small props spin out because the HP02t kV is not high enough to spin them fast. From memory its 8000kV. I would guess you need to double that rpm for stock prop to work.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I use Walkera 4#3 and 4g3 props which are big on the nano. I think the small props spin out because the HP02t kV is not high enough to spin them fast. From memory its 8000kV. I would guess you need to double that rpm for stock prop to work.
Yes, but Hextronik 2 g outrunner is only 7700 kv... and is far better (with small props).

Probably will have to use the "big ones", quite ugly

Walter
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default elevation

Do any of you fly at or near 5250 feet, 1600 meters? Is there anyone who can share setups for higher elevations?

With my air density I can't do what I see done in sea level videos. If you guys think stock mCPXs were gutless then you should see one in Denver... BL motors are necessary to avoid the ground.

Someday I will take my birds to lower elevation.

My favorite flier right now is a 60 gram HP-06-Xp12A/HP-03-xp3A MH frame, Dylan's boom supports, flipped servos and of course, a MH swash. Plastic grips and head on shortened solid mainshaft. Stock main blades and Plantraco tail. Governed 80% for 4 min. on 550mah Hyperions or Nanotech 600s.

But, I haven't flown BL nano yet. At 50 grams, my two BD-14/HP-03 beauties are in the rotation as my sometime favorites. I get 4 minutes governed 90% on 300mah Hyperions.

Some days my brushed nano is favored.

It's really hard to choose because they all fly so well. Many thanks to Dylan & Blade.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
Yes, but Hextronik 2 g outrunner is only 7700 kv... and is far better (with small props).

Walter
Well Walter seen as the HP02t isn't going great I just bought one of these motors to try. I also don't like big props on nanos if I can get away with it. I'll try and remember which thread we posted in (so many nano/BLHeli/brushless threads) and let you know how it performs on a nano-hopefully I don't need to go back to brushed tail.

My toolstick has just bust (I think) as it won't connect anymore so I 've got to wait until a new one arrives to change any settings-great! The feed back might have a slight delay.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well Walter seen as the HP02t isn't going great I just bought one of these motors to try. I also don't like big props on nanos if I can get away with it. I'll try and remember which thread we posted in (so many nano/BLHeli/brushless threads) and let you know how it performs on a nano-hopefully I don't need to go back to brushed tail.

My toolstick has just bust (I think) as it won't connect anymore so I 've got to wait until a new one arrives to change any settings-great! The feed back might have a slight delay.
Hi,
I compared them this evening.
So the tail with HP02t and the tail with Hextronik 2g.
I did not yet remove the resistor on the board for eliminating LVC.
Will probably try this tomorrow.
But I changed battery wires on this board (anyway, had removed wires and plugs already some time ago because I had used this board on my 2s Nano).
Resoldered wires and plugs, but used 24 AWG wire and mCP x plugs.
Additionally set LVC at main ESC (XP 3A with exchanged mosfets) to 3 V at BL heli software.
This seems to bring a huge improvement.
I do not have LVCs at the ESC now anymore; get LVCs on board sometimes (rarely); you can easily see this because board light (blue) is blinking slowly before.
Bad thing:
Now I can only use mCP x batteries on this one of my Nanos.
But flight times are highly improved.
Get flight times of 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 min with good (45 - 90 c) 300 mAh Turnigy and Xtreme 300 mAh.

Tail performance:
HP02t:
Does not work at all with KBDD or stock blades (strong - 360° - tail blow outs at pitch pumps); not much better with Xtwin tail blades.
But: Perfect (!!! really perfect) tail performance with RRC/Plantraco prop.

Hextronik 2 g:
No good tail performance with KBDD, stock or Xtwin tail blades; but tail performance is far better than in HP02t (with same props).
Very good, perfect tail performance with RRC/Plantraco prop.

So the "weak" Hextronik 2 g cheapo motor seems to be good enough for a perfect tail in a BL Nano with 16600 kv main motor (8 t pinion).
This motor is far cheaper than the HP, so why not give a try...
You will have to make your custom tail case for the motor, either adapt a Astroid tail case or use a Walkera tail case for this motor and use shrink tube or similar stuff to increase diameter of tail boom at the end (where it is in the tail case).

I guess, using larger diameter battery wires and mCP x plugs gives also a big improvement in flight performance.
Bad: I cannot use my numerous batteries for my Nanos (with those micro plugs) in this Nano CPx anymore... (have 3 Nanos so still can use them...).

I use adaptated mCP x skids (FBL 100 skids) on this Nano, cut shorten the upper struts for about 2 mm, fix them again with CA and shrink tube; easy, fast, perfect.
You will also have to cut a little bit of the front battery tray of skids, otherwise its hardly possible to press the front part of the skids upwards (battery tray will touch board).

Walter
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

Mild kit installed. I use an old DP 3A flashed it with BLHeli.
I was a bit desapointed at the beginning, big lack of power. But after using 24 awg cables from battery to esc everything is ok.
I use it with gov arm mode and it's awesome. It flies perfectly, it's Christmas before Christmas

Two pics of my setup:

Lork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Great job, Dylan!

Hi,
here is my setup, started yesterday and completed today. For enough space it was necessary to re-bend the left and right servor linkages. Use the Mild Kit and ESC flashed with BL Heli V9.2 by Dylan, thanks, great job
ElektroTrainerS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

Walter

Interesting post-thanks.

I'm reasonably sure I switched LVC off on all my BLH esc's because it was causing similar low power/early shut off problems, I found even when the 3in1's start flashing your still not below 3.7V/cell-this was true on Mcpx, nano and 130x. I'm not saying the same is true for the standard non BLH modded 3in1, I put this down to the high performance helis pulling the cells voltage into LVC before the resting voltage had dropped nearly that low.

I'm patiently awiating my new toolstick (no chance before Xmas) as the 2g Hex tail motor will be here in a day or so.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #220 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Walter

Interesting post-thanks.

I'm reasonably sure I switched LVC off on all my BLH esc's because it was causing similar low power/early shut off problems, I found even when the 3in1's start flashing your still not below 3.7V/cell-this was true on Mcpx, nano and 130x. I'm not saying the same is true for the standard non BLH modded 3in1, I put this down to the high performance helis pulling the cells voltage into LVC before the resting voltage had dropped nearly that low.

I'm patiently awiating my new toolstick (no chance before Xmas) as the 2g Hex tail motor will be here in a day or so.
Tested a little bit today.
Still did not remove the LVC resistor on the Nano Board.
HP03 SEP 16600 8-t pinion, XP-3A Main (exch. fets), BL Heli, LVC set to 3.0 V; tail Supermicro 3.5 A, Hextronik 2 g, Plantraco Prop; 24 AWG wire, mCP x plugs, Turnigy Nanotech 300 45 - 90 c (several), one Xtreme 300 mAh 30 c (all batteries about 10 charging cycles).
28.6 g (with canopy, without battery).
Tail perfect.
Power perfect.
LVC (board, NOT motor!) at about 7:45 min!!! (tested several batteries, 7:35 - 7:55)
Really good power > 7 min
3.4 - 3.5 V in batteries after flight; charged 313 mAh to the Xtreme battery (!!!) and 261 mAh into a Turnigy (did only single charge and check those two batteries while charging).

Wow!
Bad: Big ugly prop on tiny heli, and in this Nano I cant use my "Nano-batteries" anymore

BTW:
MyLipo 430 mAh 9:30 - 9:45 min flight time; but they are too heavy for having real fun

Walter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in