Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Heliproz sent black remote receivers...

Castle Creations Ice75 dimensions are incorrect. By 0.8" high they actually mean 0.94"

EC5s are HUGE and look like they will be much easier to deal with than the EC3s.

Castlelink showed up quicker than I expected but I still think their $25 price (if you don't get one for free with a coupon) is highway robbery. IMO you should be able to download flight data without unplugging the ESC from the receiver.

So, I changed up the angle on the front tray to accomidate the HUGE Ice75 and tweaked a few other things. I need to double check that the ESC mounting plate still fits even though I won't be using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembly2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	154891  
prototype3a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So far the EC5s look to be really nice and the TP 5s3300 30C batteries appear to be extremely capable.

I received the carbon fiber landing gear today. They look really nice. I can't wait to see how they look when combined with the final version frames. I did some programming on the Ice75 and it looks like I'm going to need to install a 21T pinion to get 2750rpm. I find this a bit hard to believe but I'll have to wait and see what she tachs out at. I suspect the Ice is underestimating the TP's ability to hold voltage under load. Rumor has it that I should have my SK720 "soon". I really can't wait to fly her!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

SK720 showed up!!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flew it yesterday and today. After reducing the hiller gain from 50 to 33 (and some other tweaks) she flies absolutely great. MUCH better than the stock head ever flew.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds good dood, you'll have to do a video for us. So how does it fly better than before? Did you end up loosing much weight?
owde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gonna be away from the internet for the coming week... A friend shot some video of me flying with his cell phone. I think he's going to upload it to facebook or something. She lost some weight from changing batteries and going FBL but the ICE 75 is SOO heavy compared to the Jazz that she gained some there. On the whole I think she lost about 4oz. Keep in mind that this is with 2.0mm G-10 prototype frames. I'm hoping to have some 2.0mm CF frames cut.

I'm really impressed with the power system in general. ~200w for hover power and the highest peak I've seen is ~1100w and 55A. The Ice is set for +5 timing advance which seems to be generating A LOT of heat in the ESC so I'm going to drop that to 0 and see how the power/temps change.

IIRC she has +/-11 collective, +/-10 cyclic with 240deg/sec aileron/elevator rate, 720deg/sec piro rate. I want to dial in a bit more aileron though so I have the speed to do some maneuvers that I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm thinking 280deg/sec aileron at the moment. I wish there was a way to predict the maximum roll rates based on your cyclic travel. I suspect it's possible but I'm not sure of all the variables.

Generally, it is MUCH more precise and predictable. I still need to tweak some parameters to get the predictability where I want it but the consistency and precision is nothing short of amazing. I also love the sound and performance of the 425mm V-blades. Too bad you can't get them anywhere. I would like to borrow a pair of the edge blades though.

Oh yea! Once the bell gains settled out, she just about hovers hands off now.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your making me want to go FBL. I'm with you on the Vblades, I love em.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

CF "final version" frames are in the mail! Oh, ya! I also have some custom horizontal tail fins coming that I think will look REALLY nice.

I read an interesting bit of info from Bert Kamerer? about the IceHV80 which makes me think that the Ice50 would have been a better choice for the Lepton since it is smaller and lighter and should be able to easily handle the power.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After having played with the 720 on both my lepton and a buddy's T500 it appears that I need to run my 94761z cyclic servos on 6.0v to get the performance I desire which means I'm in the market for a tail servo that can handle 6.0v as well. Any suggestions? So far I have the Align DS650 on my list.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thinking the HYPERION ATLAS DS 20X GCD might be a good option as well but I'm having trouble locating the settings to use for the SK720. I suspect I could probably use the DS20GMD settings then tweak the servo speed to match that of the 20X. I like it a little better since it's less expensive and doesn't say Align on it. Although, from the pictures, it appears that it uses one of those stupid futaba style connectors with the tab. However, if I do get it, I will probably shorten the lead and put my own connector on it anyway.

I'm hoping I won't need to but I'm going to do some drawing and see if I can't stuff hitec 5245mg cyclic servos into the lepton. I suspect it would need a pair of new custom servo mounting brackets and a larger cyclic servo opening but the extra holding power and torque might be good.

After fiddling with my buddy's T500 I have an even greater appreciation for the Lepton. She has such a quiet and smooth drive train.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The cute DHL lady dropped off some carbon fiber parts today!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1272.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	160187  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice dood. Maybe just use HS5085's, I do, just as good I reckon, the only diff' is the single bearing, but with the Leptons push pull controls it doesn't matter much. Anyhow keep it coming and how about some more pics.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Spec wise the 5085s don't look to be better than the airtronics. They are a good bit cheaper though. I plan to post more pictures tomorrow when I finish the frame swap. We'll see if I need stronger servos when I get my new tail servo and am able to fly it on 6v.

If there is interest I can get more frames (or just the tail fins ) cut. All the parts I got cut were very competitively priced but if there is enough interest then the shipping from China would be less significant and the price could come down even more. I suspect BobOD would probably be more than willing to make more custom AR pins for anyone who wanted to do this as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

where's the pic of the horizontal fin.....slacker
Nanocer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Me thinks your missing a tail servo
Nanocer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Still missing the tail servo. It should be here early this week. I did however get the tail case put back together so I can take pictures of the tail and custom fin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1279 (2).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	161223   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1274 (2).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	161224   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1276 (2).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	161225   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1275 (2).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	161226   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1278 (2).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	161227  

Name:	CIMG1277 (2).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	161228  
Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hows the quality of the carbon fiber.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been told that it may have more epoxy in it than it should (by someone who makes CF but hasn't seen them) but it seems very strong to me and the hole sizes and locations seem to be just about perfect.

As with anything I do, I'll probably nit-pick and tweak things here and there. For example, between the prototype and these, I moved the rear canopy mounting post holes forward 0.5mm so the canopy fits just about perfectly now. It fit before but was a little too tight in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So, I crashed my lepton about a week ago and as a part of the repair I decided to go ahead and get the Scorpion SII-3020-780. I took her out for a quick test flight this evening and she seemed smooth and generally repaired. Now the tweaking can continue.

FYI, The RevCo 0.6mod pinions that were for our Leptons have be redesigned in a way so that they are no longer compatible. I blame ReadyHeli for this. I don't know why I thought they might have pinions for my heli since they dropped parts support for it. I'm going to search around some and see if I can't locate another source for pinions or someone willing to cut down this huge 22T I received.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in