Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Trying to make transition to outdoors

Pretty new at this. Fly my MCX2 around inside a lot. Do fairly well with it. Bought a SR 120 a couple weeks ago and got comfortable in the garage with hover and slow speed turns. Tried it in the back yard with some light wind and it just goes all over the place. Don't really get many days with no wind. Mostly it blows all the time here in Oklahoma.

Don't have access to a gym, hanger, warehouse, etc to get some no-wind time to get comfortable with some forward flight and can't seem to get it under control in the wind.
black85vette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mcpx flys pretty good even with wind. Sim and mcpx my friend.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had same problem any breeze at all and my heli is all over the place, mainly up.
If you cut 7 to 10 mm off each rotor blade you will have better control in Light wind. The only other way to overcome wind is a C/P as stated a Mcpx which will give you negative pitch to bring your heli back down. With rotors cut you will notice slightly slower lift, its all a trade off.
cheers mark
markus45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So did I make a bad choice? Read lots of posts and info on the forum and thought the SR 120 was a good transition to single blade. I have already cut 8mm off the blades. Can't say it made a huge difference inside. Have not had a good day to check it outside.

Oh well, at least it was a $129 mistake and not an $800 one. Now I just need to explain to my wife that yes, I bought a second heli within 30 days of the first one, but now I NEED a 3rd one.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes the 120SR was a mistake IMHO, one that I made as well. I flew it a few times, noted its strange behavior, bought a book about it, tried it a few more times and gave up. I moved on to an mCPx with a DX6i and quickly learned to fly outdoors. Now I fly 450's easily and am building a 550.

The 120SR exibits pendulum effect and TBE (toilet bowl effect). due to its 45 degree flybar. It is too big for indoors and flies like crap outdoors.

The mCPx is a great heli to learn CP. It will fly in wind but its better to start with calm days. Fly outdoors only over soft grass. You will crash a lot at first but if you fly over grass, damage will be little or none. It will break but its cheap to fix.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't want the 120, see if you can sell it. We have pretty active buy/sell activity here on HeliFreak.

...or keep it for calm days. Most of us have 3, 4, 5, ..or more helis! Not sure how many the wives know about though.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Y
The 120SR exibits pendulum effect and TBE (toilet bowl effect). due to its 45 degree flybar. It is too big for indoors and flies like crap outdoors.
Pretty much my experience so far.

@rojack; I may have an alternative. My oldest son is 34 and has flown RC helicopters before but is without one right now. I think he needs one and if I give him the 120 SR then I will have to replace it, right?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made some progress. On the SR 120 forum they had an additional tip; move the linkage to the ball with the longer arm. That and the trimmed blades seemed to help. Was not dead air but at 6:30 this morning it was at least calm. Got in one battery of flight time and managed to make several circuits of the back yard. Need to go to a field or park to have some more room. Would still love to get some indoor flight time.

Have a MCP x on the way. Also have a WTB ad placed for a used Phoenix sim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in