Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #101 (permalink)

just curious how does one get their profile picture to show up when they post, i still have not figured that out. but i did post pictures of my three helicopters.
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #102 (permalink)

never mind i was not smart enough to read the fine print
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #103 (permalink)

hey lynn bird how do you get the listing of all your helicopters at the bottom when you post. for example,
Sorry for all the questions.
TT Raptor 60

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sarah,
You go to User CP>Edit signature just like you did to put the "OH gosh its..." and you can enter them there anyway you like. Hope this helps.
So when does it warm up in Idaho? It's still in the 30's here. I don't fly outside unless it is at least 55 or more. My fingers get too cold and I can't feel the sticks. Do you have a place to fly inside for now?
I could probably use the "oh gosh its a blond" quote also

Lynbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #105 (permalink)

lol that was the first thing like 20 guys said to me when I went to the flying field, (gosh the meanies). They give me even more crap now because my 600 is pretty much the size of me, and a 700 well lets just say it is the size of me. I hate being short and 94 pounds soaking wet. Thanks for your help I was not sure if it was signature or something else. I finally was able to get all my pictures up.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi All,

It's nice to see more posts in this forum! YEA!I've been so busy with work and house projects that I have not been able to fly the MT in a couple of weeks. I have been flying my mSR around the house for the last few days, though. I have also squeezed in some sim time. I actually think this will help more than flying my MT as I am now flying my mSR head in. I just need to work on my bailout move, as with the mSR and sim it's not a big deal to crash.

The weather here has actually been crappy as well. We had a lot of rain over the past couple of weeks, but it is supposed to be sunny and about 70 degrees out this weekend

I purchased a Trex 600 FBL from the for sale forum but haven't had a chance to set it up. The more I look at it, the more intimidated I feel! I may have some questions for you guys.

I don't think I posted my 4g6s story on here. I decided to fly outside in front of my house one night (yes, night - brilliant idea) and for the second time I hit the idle up switch instead of throttle hold. The Walkera radios have the switches reversed from that of the Spektrum radios. It is such a habit that I am going to change them over (hopefully this weekend). Well, the tiny bird took off just as I was trying to land by hitting TH. With it being dark outside, I was screwed. I finally got her back down and just gave full down throttle. I ended up changing out the feathering shaft, blades, and main shaft this past weekend as it was vibrating quite a bit. It seemed to do the trick as I took her out last night for a short test hover, only this time I made sure to not put my finger anywhere near the idle up switch!

Those little 4g6s are hard to work on.....small parts, and if it hasn't been taken apart before you know how hard it can be to get stuff loose. I must have spent an hour getting the frickin' feathering shaft off! I'm sure I'll get more practice taking her apart soon enough.

-Tam
Tam_T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #107 (permalink)

I can see the pain in my eyes also. I am to chicken to night fly, and probably will stay a chicken but you are correct for working on them. When I first started I thought the 450 was actually big to work on. (yeah I am a dumb blond). But now that I have my 600, it makes working on my 450 ridiculous. I have small fingers but I do not have the eye sight. It is also much harder to fly my 450 after I have flown my 600, they are hard to see. I have to fly my 450 first then my 600 or lost my small helicopter. l

sarah
Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tam,
Sorry to hear about crashing the 4G6S but at least you were able to fix it. I thought the Mini-Titan was small until I was fixing the mSR for a friend. I needed more fingers to hold parts together but there wasn't room. Finally got the screw in and then found out that it was stripped. Oh well... Twice now the power has failed in the fieldhouse. Luckily I was not flying either time but it is pretty scary and very dark until the emergency lights come on. I always fly with one finger on the TH switch. I did buy night blades but haven't tried them yet.
Sarah, you are not a dumb blonde, never say that! You are in pre-med, flying a 600, remember that.
Happy flying ladies.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #109 (permalink)

Yeah the small ones are much harder to work on then the big ones that is for sure. Just doing maintenance on them is demanding. I have learned with the small ones to use magnetic drivers, that way your not fighting the entire time with it. I am way to chicken to fly at night, lol no wayyyyyyy. Also thanks lyn I know I am not dumb, but i have to admit that most of the guys think that the first time they see me. Actually at the flying field I think I was thee only girl (well flying at least) yesterday and weather was not great but I had 4 guys tell me, (before I even flew) where the flight line was and that my helicopter could kill some one. LOL Really guys come on. What is even worse is when they see I can actually fly (well scale only and tiny bits of flips) they all tell me if I ever need help fixing it after I crash to call them. Not sure if they are being nice or asking me out. Which is kinda creepy since they are mostly 15 years older or more then me. hmmmm oh well.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I finally got to fly outside again. Yesterday it was about 60 and light breeze. I flew 4 batteries in my church's parking lot. It was fun getting acclimated to having a large open area again. One thing I noticed is since I have been working on my 90 degree side orientations all winter, I can stop the heli and hold it there instead of worrying about getting the tail back towards me. Next...Nose-In!!!
Today was gusts close to 30 and high 80's with rain moving in. Our weather is so strange here.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #111 (permalink)

the weather her totally sucks. It is april 35 degrees today's high was 41 degrees, with rain, wind (of course that a 600 can not even handle). To make it worse it has been this way for 3 whole months, I am think about taking up kite flying. I know as soon as I do, there will be no rain, and no wind. (go figure). However I envy the fact that you are outside flying, It has been a while since I have been able to fly.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynbird View Post
WhirlyGirl,
Good to have you post again. I had looked at some old ones when I first joined. Have you been flying heli's all of the years you have been involved with RC?
Are you doing the aerial photography as a business? Before my husband and I sold our full scale plane we had an aerial photo business and had thought about continuing using heli's when he first got into them. But then other things happened and we didn't.
Do you have pictures of your finished Carden's? I would love to see them.We're seeing more guys at the field getting into larger scale planes with gas engines (cost of nitro too high). You just need a transport method.
I doubt we can make Joe Nall this year but I would love to go. Maybe next year. I would like to do IRCHA this year but don't know yet.
Is FCM a national organization?
How did you get into flying heli's?
Sorry for all the questions.
No, like many, I started with airplanes first. Helis became that obsession where I just found them so intriguing that I had to try it. Plus, I can't really stand building airplanes...especially kits...but I LOVE assembling helicopters.

I was doing AP as a side business. It was doing really well in California. I have not been pursuing it on the east coast because I simply do not have enough time right now. I have 3 kids...my oldest is about to turn 7 in a few weeks and my youngest just turned 2. I am a stay at home mom and I homeschool my 2 oldest. That doesn't leave much time. Maybe when my oldest is old enough to run the camera mount...then I'll jump back into it?

I sure do have pictures of our Cardens! Not of us together with them because they've never been flyable at the same time until this season. Long story made longer...basically, my husband had a Carden last year at Joe Nall that we flew together...shared, but it was definitely "his". I really was getting into flying it harder and so after the week at Nall, he started looking around for a used Carden to buy me. I didn't have a plane because I've been waiting patiently for the release of the Extreme Flight 123" Extra 300 (now released as the 125" Extra!) Anyway, we found a great Carden up in PA and I was there picking up my kids from the grandparents, so I brought the airframe home. We didn't have the spare cash to put another motor in right away and my hubby was deploying to Afghanistan for 6 months, so we took the guts out of "his" plane and put in mine so I could take it to a few fun flys and a HuckFest after he deployed. He returned in January, we bought a new motor for my airframe and now we're just putting the last bolts in both airframes to have them both completed right before this year's Nall!

We bought a trailer for R/C in Fall of 2009 and have also been remodeling it these past few weeks...making new cabinets, paint, better securing system for odds and ends, lighting, power distribution, etc. It is not complete yet, but I'll add pics from before and where we're at now. I love this project!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	221376   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0058.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	221377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4722.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	221378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6007.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	221379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6134.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	221380  

Name:	IMG_6137.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	221381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6140.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	221382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6147.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	221383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6148.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	221384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6150.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	221385  

Name:	IMG_6151.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	221386  
Whirly-Girl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirly-Girl View Post
No, like many, I started with airplanes first. Helis became that obsession where I just found them so intriguing that I had to try it. Plus, I can't really stand building airplanes...especially kits...but I LOVE assembling helicopters.

I was doing AP as a side business. It was doing really well in California. I have not been pursuing it on the east coast because I simply do not have enough time right now. I have 3 kids...my oldest is about to turn 7 in a few weeks and my youngest just turned 2. I am a stay at home mom and I homeschool my 2 oldest. That doesn't leave much time. Maybe when my oldest is old enough to run the camera mount...then I'll jump back into it?

I sure do have pictures of our Cardens! Not of us together with them because they've never been flyable at the same time until this season. Long story made longer...basically, my husband had a Carden last year at Joe Nall that we flew together...shared, but it was definitely "his". I really was getting into flying it harder and so after the week at Nall, he started looking around for a used Carden to buy me. I didn't have a plane because I've been waiting patiently for the release of the Extreme Flight 123" Extra 300 (now released as the 125" Extra!) Anyway, we found a great Carden up in PA and I was there picking up my kids from the grandparents, so I brought the airframe home. We didn't have the spare cash to put another motor in right away and my hubby was deploying to Afghanistan for 6 months, so we took the guts out of "his" plane and put in mine so I could take it to a few fun flys and a HuckFest after he deployed. He returned in January, we bought a new motor for my airframe and now we're just putting the last bolts in both airframes to have them both completed right before this year's Nall!

We bought a trailer for R/C in Fall of 2009 and have also been remodeling it these past few weeks...making new cabinets, paint, better securing system for odds and ends, lighting, power distribution, etc. It is not complete yet, but I'll add pics from before and where we're at now. I love this project!!!
Hi Whirly-Girl,
Was looking thru this thread & happened to see a familiar airframe-the Fighter Combat Extra I built & covered for Joe Stek a few years ago.I am also scheduled to do a build for Albert next year & looking forward to it.
I am also into heli's,having recently built a couple HK450GT Pro's,& just getting into forward flight. Have a few Walkera 4#6S's & 4G6S's also,mostly for indoor practice,since the weather here in Western PA is pretty bad til April/May.
Did well recently at the Toledo show with a 1st in Covering,& 2nd. in Aerobatic.Customer drove up from Sumter,S.Carolina for the show & to pick up the plane afterwards-he is scheduled to maiden towards the end of April.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mark  Toledo 2011 Oracle Extra.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	222091  
nute53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nute53 View Post
Hi Whirly-Girl,
Was looking thru this thread & happened to see a familiar airframe-the Fighter Combat Extra I built & covered for Joe Stek a few years ago.I am also scheduled to do a build for Albert next year & looking forward to it.
I am also into heli's,having recently built a couple HK450GT Pro's,& just getting into forward flight. Have a few Walkera 4#6S's & 4G6S's also,mostly for indoor practice,since the weather here in Western PA is pretty bad til April/May.
Did well recently at the Toledo show with a 1st in Covering,& 2nd. in Aerobatic.Customer drove up from Sumter,S.Carolina for the show & to pick up the plane afterwards-he is scheduled to maiden towards the end of April.
Mark
Hi Mark!

Nice to "meet" you! Joe sent me pictures of that Oracle scheme Extra from the Toledo show. That sure is BEAUTIFUL! Albert and I are really looking forward to you building Al's next plane. We were talking the other night actually, as I was mounting my DA-150 on my plane, about the "Corvette" theme on his build...or, he is considering now having his plane covered to match my Fighter Combat Extra. Decisions, decisions. I'm sure he'll change his mind a few times.

Do you come out to events? Al and I are coming up to OH for the HuckFest. Maybe we'll see you in August?

Jeanette
Whirly-Girl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirly-Girl View Post
Hi Mark!

Nice to "meet" you! Joe sent me pictures of that Oracle scheme Extra from the Toledo show. That sure is BEAUTIFUL! Albert and I are really looking forward to you building Al's next plane. We were talking the other night actually, as I was mounting my DA-150 on my plane, about the "Corvette" theme on his build...or, he is considering now having his plane covered to match my Fighter Combat Extra. Decisions, decisions. I'm sure he'll change his mind a few times.

Do you come out to events? Al and I are coming up to OH for the HuckFest. Maybe we'll see you in August?

Jeanette
Jeanette,
Let me know which day(s) you might be there,I'll try to attend.We also try & get up to Doc Martuccio's event (he has one coming up in May I think,& then again in Sept.)-would definitely like to meet you both!!
Dennis is scheduled to have the maiden for the Oracle April 30-I think his friend Chris Campos has the honors
For covering schemes,I usually tell the guys to wait until I have them pretty well framed up,then to present their favorites.I have had good luck with scale designs-& Airliners.net is one good place to find a bunch of full-scale photo's. I still have the templates I made for Fighter Combat,actually I did the first one for Joe's nephew-Matt way back in 2001,& did a couple recently again in 2009 (besides yours) .The first one was for Toledo-& had all the markings handmade-the more recent ones the guys have added some of their own graphics
Raining again today,so grounded with the heli's outside.Was windy yesterday,but Thurs. was perfect,& ran 10 packs thru the HK450 Pro at a local park.Practicing hovering & just getting into back & forth in front of me. I can fly the Walkera 4#6S & 4G6S's around pretty well,but still a bit aprehensive with anything nose-in with the 450.Have Realflight 4.5 (& uploaded a nice Trex 450 model) & have been practicing on it inbetween building sessions & glue drying.
Talk again soon.
Mark
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just curious, is Chris Campos related to Manny and Jose Campos?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam_T View Post
Just curious, is Chris Campos related to Manny and Jose Campos?
Tam- I'm not sure,but would doubt it.Scheduled to do a build for Chris around Sept.
I know he lives down in Georgia.
I have seen a number of Manny's Youtube heli demo vids & just in awe- some amazing skills.
Mark
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I fly at the same place Manny does here is SoCal, so when I saw the name I was curious. Manny and his brother Jose are incredible! And, they are so much help at the field.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam_T View Post
Yeah, I fly at the same place Manny does here is SoCal, so when I saw the name I was curious. Manny and his brother Jose are incredible! And, they are so much help at the field.

Your so fortunate to have access to that kind of talent (& the weather is a plus too),& great to know they are helpful .Just recently saw a vid of Manny testing out one of the new Blade mCP's in what looks like a living room area- fantastic !!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't believe it! We had almost an inch of snow this morning and it is in the 30's. Our norm for this time of year is about 60. Our club was supposed to rent a roller to roll the field today but that sure didn't happen.

I used the Linkmaker 9000 that I got for Christmas to redo all of the links on my Raptor 60. That is an amazing tool! No sore fingers, just calibrate it, tell it how long the links should be and push a button. Done! Also changed out some fuel tubing and put in a Fasst 2.4 receiver instead of the 72. Ready to go fly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in