Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb Reason to use momentary switch on bailout

I had to use my bailout last weekend. I've used it in real life situations several times successfully. After I flicked the bailout switch I realized that the problem was mechanical, so instead I had to do an auto. It would have been a routine auto except that I forgot to go back and shut off the bailout switch. When I went into throttle hold I couldn't control the cyclic servos as they were being controlled by the bailout command. My heli came straight down into a really bad crash.
I used to have a momentary switch that I installed on my DX8, but when I changed to the DX9 I used the stock switch. If I had a momentary switch the bailout would have stopped as soon as I took my finger off. Theres a lot to remember in the split seconds of a situation like this and it's very easy to forget that you are still in bailout mode. I am changing the switch to a momentary switch this week and STRONGLY recommend to others that it be done.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't you just move the bind button and use it like most guys have done with DX8?
ranchhand is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a Dx18 but I think it is the same for DX9. Switch I is the PB and can be assigned to rescue via the mixes posted in the DX18 sticky or the DX9 thread. I know some guys don't like the position of switch I and they exchange positions switch Switch A.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree, I'm looking at taking the momentry switch off an old futaba radio and putting it into the DX9.
As any switch can be allocated any task finding a big momentary switch in position H in a panic is much easier for me than finding the little bind button.
glen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Exclamation

Both ideas are good, and are well documented on other threads. On the DX8 I did swap the trainer swith and replaced the button with a momentary switch, which I really liked. The DX9 is programable to any switch but I can't easily reach the trainer push button so I assigned bailout to switch A. I didn't realize the possibility of leaving the bailout switch on when changing from a bailout situation to an auto situation. I've already changed my A switch to a momentary switch. This is just a cautionary tale for anyone that is using the stock switch A on a DX9 for bailout.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think what they are saying is physically move the bind button to place where switch a is and then move switch a to the bind button position. that is what most with the DX9 do.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I moved the switches on my Futaba radio for this very reason. Bailout to me should by a flip and old, regain orientation and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've rethought the momentary switch idea and kind of like the idea of using the push button from the trainer switch. I'm going to pull mine back apart and do that. I like the idea of the switch being a total different action than the throttle hold switch. Thanks for the input. Sometimes we get caught up in a certain way of thinking and miss a different approach.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
I've rethought the momentary switch idea and kind of like the idea of using the push button from the trainer switch. I'm going to pull mine back apart and do that. I like the idea of the switch being a total different action than the throttle hold switch. Thanks for the input. Sometimes we get caught up in a certain way of thinking and miss a different approach.
It is extremely easy to swap the two switches. No need to solder in a new push button switch.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

One other thing I've thought about doing after I had a sweaty finger slip off of the relocated PB on my DX8. I would glue a piece of sandpaper to the top of th PB for a little non slip piece of mind. Maybe a hole punched size piece.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I changed my radio to use the push button switch as I like the idea of a different type of motion than the Throttle Hold switch. I was so used to hitting Throttle Hold from my early days of learning that I have mistakenly hit both switches at the same time in a panic using muscle memory before.
I am going to bench check the bind switch now to make sure nothing happens if the bind switch is accidentally flipped up. I doubt anything will happen since theres no bind plug in the receiver but want to be sure. Has anyone tested that?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
I changed my radio to use the push button switch as I like the idea of a different type of motion than the Throttle Hold switch. I was so used to hitting Throttle Hold from my early days of learning that I have mistakenly hit both switches at the same time in a panic using muscle memory before.
I am going to bench check the bind switch now to make sure nothing happens if the bind switch is accidentally flipped up. I doubt anything will happen since theres no bind plug in the receiver but want to be sure. Has anyone tested that?
It's totally fine. You can hit the bind switch whenever you want with no issues.

I hit the switch before every flight just to check rescue. IE: I hit the switch to see the pitch go to max, just to check functionality.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input. The switch that I'm not sure of yet is the toggle switch that was moved to the trainer / bind location. Now that the trainer switch is not a momentary switch there is a remote possibility that it could be in the up position telling the raidio to bind. I want to make sure that if this ever happens it won't interupt signal during flight. I might just throw the momentary switch that I bought into the bind switch location and cut off some of the switch lever length just as a safety precaution.
This might be over kill but I've had a few tough learning curves with the 3SX and don't want this to be another. I'll bench check it today and see what happens, but even if it checks out ok I'll always be wondering if a toggle switch on the bind operation will cause me trouble someday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in