Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120 SR bad vibes

After going through 3 tail motors on my 120 and countless more on my msr, I've had enough.
I took apart each 'burnt out' tail motor and found that each one was contrarily in good health, the hair-like leads however were not. All of my failed tail motors were caused by a broken connection to the brushes.

I clamped down my 120 and powered up the tail rotor. I observed this motors self destruction brought on by high freq vibrations and the resulting heat it produced.
Since hot glue has a pseudo-rubber like quality, i tacked some on evenly around the tail rotor side and also where the leads come out of the motor.
It reduced the vibrations greatly
The motor no longer makes a zip sound, more of a solid hum now.
No jittery yawing
No TBE

If you look at the tail motor you'll see a black line of rubbery sealant

this is where Horizon attempts to soak up these bad vibrations, but obviously isn't enough.
I went bonkers with hot glue and slapped some around the creases of where the main motor meets the black frame, worlds better...
I recomend you guys try this, if its no good then just peel it off.
After all, its just a lil hot glue!

Last edited by Bob O; 04-23-2014 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: reduce pic size
Scook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I will have to take a chip off one of my tail rotor blades to make it vibrate to see if this will work.

I have not seen a tail vibration issue. My motor is smooth and has lasted a couple years.

Glad this solved your problem.

Garry
SplashN'Crash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thats spectacular its lasted this long for you. Balancing that tail rotor is a must, but the vibrations are mostly coming from the motor rocking in the plastic mount.
Also the motor design is absolutely terrible imo. But im sure it was all done on purpose, as you all know, replacement parts are how these companies bank
Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You say, "no TBE" Did you HAVE it and this solved it? Def gonna give this a shot anyhow. Thanks for the tip man.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, TBE used to be so bad that I couldn't fly it worth a damn indoors.
After I applied the hot glue in various spots, I'm able to fly in my small bedroom.

the avg temperature of the tail motor dropped significantly as well.
It used to be too hot to touch after 5 mins of flying. Now ill run 3 batteries through her and it still wont be as hot as it was before the glue.

The main point of applying this holy hot glue was just to keep her wires from vibrating out of contact. I'm hoping to confirm this 'fix' by others trying it, so let me know!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been a couple months and about 50+ flights in. the tail motor is still fine and still no serious TBE. Vibrations are absolutely the problem with these Blade motors.

Standard Blade motors are not made with close tolerances, specifically the shaft-bearing gap that exists. This gap causes the shaft to rock latterly, and at high RPM's it produces fast vibrations that eventually shake the motor apart somewhere (usually the motor leads go first, then the winding's seize the shaft.).

I'm not saying that Hot glue is the best fix for this, but vibrations are most definitely the problem.

Happy tinkering,
Steve.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tip....makes a lot of sense, you thought it out well!!
airshot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in