Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #961 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question on s9257 servo

I understand the 9257 servo does not support 6 volts, correct? Does that mean that I would than simply set the esc at 5.0 volt on step 6 of programming the esc to the receiver, or doesn't it matter?
helinut2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #962 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

While they say the 9257 does not support 6V it actually works well and I have been running it at 6V for a long time now. Initially it seemed there were some problems but in the end it's a nice servo and works at 6V.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #963 (permalink)
Registered Users

So no real need for the 5.1 step down I assume. I did just find that the servo is actually rated at 4.8v. I'm not a 3D pilot at this time and fly basically scale, so for me no real need for super fast servos. Would I be safer to set the esc at 5 volts, or do you feel it simply doesn't matter?
BTW, thanks Bob for all the help you have given us all through the years. This is my 3rd build using your videos. Would have taken 3 or 4 times longer with probably a lot of mistakes if I wouldn't have had your videos to watch..
Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #964 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 401 Gyro light ??

The red light on my 401 will not stop blinking after I initialize. Everything seems to be working, but light will not stay on solid unless I turn on some delay. The instructions state that you should set delay at 0 if using a digital rudder servo, which I am using a 9257. So, do I go ahead and leave a bit of delay set, or is there an issue else where? Like mentioned, red light stays on solid as long as I have some delay turned on.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #965 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2 View Post
The red light on my 401 will not stop blinking after I initialize. Everything seems to be working, but light will not stay on solid unless I turn on some delay. The instructions state that you should set delay at 0 if using a digital rudder servo, which I am using a 9257. So, do I go ahead and leave a bit of delay set, or is there an issue else where? Like mentioned, red light stays on solid as long as I have some delay turned on.
Something isn't right about that. Turn the delay back to zero, then make sure you don't have some trim or sub-trim in your rudder channel, then re-bind... also make sure you are initializing in heading hold mode. This should give you a solid red light.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #966 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2 View Post
According to the manual HERE there are different kinds of flash depending on what's being reports. With reference to the descriptions in the manual, how would you describe your LED's behaviour?

Steve
Blackout 330/OpenPilot Revo with FatShark 600mW VTX, Futaba 8FG 2.4GHz
Steve Evans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #967 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Evans View Post
According to the manual HERE there are different kinds of flash depending on what's being reports. With reference to the descriptions in the manual, how would you describe your LED's behaviour?

Steve
It is was a slow blinking light. I have since went ahead and checked all my trims, sub-trims etc and did a re bind. The light is now staying solid red, however it does flash whenever I move the rudder stick at all. Minute I quit moving rudder stick, light stays solid again. Is this normal?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #968 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine2501 View Post
Something isn't right about that. Turn the delay back to zero, then make sure you don't have some trim or sub-trim in your rudder channel, then re-bind... also make sure you are initializing in heading hold mode. This should give you a solid red light.
Only trim tab moved was a tad bit of throttle. The rudder trim is in the middle, delay turned back to zero and I re-binded. I am now getting a solid red initialization light, however, it starts to blink when I move the rudder stick. Normal? As soon as I quit moving rudder stick, it goes back to solid red.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #969 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah it's supposed to blink when you move the rudder stick. Might want to read the manual carefully another time.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #970 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. Helped alot.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #971 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!!!

Hi Bob,

I wanted to make my first post a big THANK YOU for the unconditional assistance you provided to me while building and flying my Trex 500 ESP. About 15 years ago, I purchased a TSK Fivestar Nitro bird and was very excited to finally become an RC Heli Pilot (a childhood dream). I built it and attempted to teach myself how to fly it, which didn't go too well. Unfortunately, not many resources were avaibale to me at the time and I soon gave up.

Several months ago, I stumbled on the Helifreak forums and came across your tech room. After watching several of your videos, I decided to try this hobby for the second and final time. I purchased a Trex 500 ESP and took my time building it while watching your videos. Your detailed approach and presentation style made the build go very smoothly. Since watching the videos and building the heli, I have been flying and practicing regularly. I just hit flight 75 and am looking forward to many more.

I love the heli and owe much of my success and enjoyment to your willingness to lend a hand without any expectation of something in return. And for that, I can't thank you enough! I can only hope that I have the opportunity to thank you in person some day and have the privelege of sharing a few cold ones with you some time (if you drink of course).

Thanks for making a childhood dream a reality!
Ballcat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #972 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Ballcat.... You just did thank me in person! When I hear a story like this and know that I helped someone be successful in this hobby... YOU MADE MY DAY!

Thank you for taking the time to post and say thank you! It means a lot to me and I feel like a lucky human being to have made your experience positive.....

Happy flying my friend! An remember all I ask is one day when a n00b needs some help... JUST help him/her in any capacity you can.
In otherwords... PAY it back! It's all I ask in return.... DEAL?

Bob
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #973 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default It's a deal!

It's a deal! You have my word on that. I will look for every opportunity to "pay it forward" as I encounter newcomers out at the field. Thanks much for the personal response - you are awesome!

Thanks again, Chris
Ballcat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #974 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exellent Bob! Great videos and helped me a lot! I don't know how I would have done it without those videos! And Thanks for the bits and pieces you mansion along the way as well! Great explanations very easy to follow for someone like me who is new in this hobby!!
Cheers!
Helis4me is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #975 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob, did you manage to put together a rex 500 FBL build video as yet?

Thank you all ways for your VIDS and assistance.
mightyq is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #976 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I have not really done anything FBL yet... SOON though

Bob
Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #977 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you. I have always wanted a rc heli but never had the $. I decided a few months ago now is the time and started research. I ended up thinking the blade 400 and decided I will go to my local hobby shop and talk to them. Luckily the shop owner is also a heli flier and gives training as well. Well to cut short a long story he recommended the sim for me to try out but recommended the trex 500 as opposed to the blade 400 for handling and as I am a super noob to this. I checked prices and eventually made my decision to buy but not from the local hobby shop (expensive and other reasons).

During my research I got to HeliFreak and there the answers to my questions. I read the manual, thought not difficult to do but the manual refers to a few things that I don't fully understand. Bob the Finless to the rescue. Bob you have helped me in so many ways with everything. The manual said consult local hobby or heli pro before first flight but I felt so comfartable with your instructions I did not. Your instructions, help and suggestions are awesome and together with the training and setup I have not needed any Heli Pro or local hobby shop support.

You Bob are my local pro.... :-) THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Not to vent or talk negative but I need to tell you how much you helped me. My local hobby shop told me when I got there he will not help me setup my heli or give me free training if I did not buy the heli from him. That is why I dont support him but that is why I wanted to say thanks to you as you have helped me more than he has with everything. I am a keen supporter helping other people and if even training video's are free on the net why be like that. Thanks to you I can if needed one day help someone else.

PS in less than a month I can hover tail in very good, hover to side and nose in relatively good, fly circuits, do flips and loops and inverted flight on sim still just basic flying on real heli all thanks to you.
dvillijs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #978 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to say thank you to Finless Bob for making these videos. Without his videos I do not think I would have even attempted putting together a kit heli. I have watched the 500 videos many times during my build. I only wish I could one day know half of what you know about this RC hobby.

You make this hobby much easier for others. Keep it up.
SteelPE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #979 (permalink)
Registered Users

great work! learned a lot
letun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #980 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi!

I have a question. Have do you set the idle up? I flew with a friend, and his heli is so much more powerfull, even tho we have the same heli. (T-rex 500 ESP).
I´m using the Spektrum DX-7 controller...

And yes, I am new to this, so would appreciate if you could give me a detailed explanation.
Kriston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in