Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 14SG default program

I was just starting my first setup of the BD with the 14SG last night. A few details that confused me is that the default program in the Tx enables the hover pitch and throttle trim functions and assigns the knobs (LD & RD) to control those functions, and it enables the gyro tail, elevator and aileron gain which are coupled to the flight mode selection.

I'm don't recall if Seasick's video covers this, but if you want to use the knobs for auxiliary channels for the BD's tail and head gain, you'll need to disable the hover pitch trim and throttle trim functions. For example:
  1. model menu
  2. pitch curve
  3. page 2
  4. move cursor to Act
  5. select "INH"

It's a similar sequence for the throttle hover trim.

You can then assign the knob function to an aux channel and assign that aux channel one in the range that the BD monitors, for example LD -> Aux 1 -> Ch 6, RD -> Aux 2 -> Ch 7.

Also, I found that the 14SG outputs collective on Ch 5 by default but the BD has a default of Ch 6 in Sbus mode. You can change this either in the Tx or in the BD setup.
mfremont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfremont View Post
I was just starting my first setup of the BD with the 14SG last night. A few details that confused me is that the default program in the Tx enables the hover pitch and throttle trim functions and assigns the knobs (LD & RD) to control those functions, and it enables the gyro tail, elevator and aileron gain which are coupled to the flight mode selection.

I'm don't recall if Seasick's video covers this, but if you want to use the knobs for auxiliary channels for the BD's tail and head gain, you'll need to disable the hover pitch trim and throttle trim functions. For example:
  1. model menu
  2. pitch curve
  3. page 2
  4. move cursor to Act
  5. select "INH"

It's a similar sequence for the throttle hover trim.

You can then assign the knob function to an aux channel and assign that aux channel one in the range that the BD monitors, for example LD -> Aux 1 -> Ch 6, RD -> Aux 2 -> Ch 7.

Also, I found that the 14SG outputs collective on Ch 5 by default but the BD has a default of Ch 6 in Sbus mode. You can change this either in the Tx or in the BD setup.
Mfremont it's a long shot, but would you care to make a more in depth tutorial on futaba/3sx setup? Seasicks videos help alot but you stated earlier he didn't mention inh. the knobs. Of course I'm not bashing him, as those video's were great. But for Futaba/Bavarian dumb dumbs namingly me, I only understand through step by step procedures before I can even begin to understand what is going on during setup. All this receiver modes, channels mapping gyro stuff I have no idea, I only came from nitro rc, then blade heli's in which they tell you exactly what to do for setup. Anything further than that I have no idea how or why.
johara45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

This one is worth watching, IMHO.

Futaba 14SG Radio Programming Tips (22 min 41 sec)
Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
This one is worth watching, IMHO.

Futaba 14SG Radio Programming Tips - YouTube
Thanks RodneyK, I checked out that video a couple of days ago, and used most of the suggested settings from that video, thanks for the link though!!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johara45 View Post
Mfremont it's a long shot, but would you care to make a more in depth tutorial on futaba/3sx setup?
I'm climbing the learning curve myself. Although it's not my first FBL system with the 14SG , this is my first BD 3sx and there's quite a bit that is new to me. Haven't yet really thought about how best to program the 14SG to control the rescue mode, but since rescue mode is one of the main reasons I decided to give the 3sx a try, I'll need to figure it out...

That said, I see a need to fill in the details that are missing or not clear in the manuals, even if just notes on obscure setup details that I'm likely to forget from the last time I did it.

Quote:
I only understand through step by step procedures before I can even begin to understand what is going on during setup. All this receiver modes, channels mapping gyro stuff I have no idea, I only came from nitro rc, then blade heli's in which they tell you exactly what to do for setup. Anything further than that I have no idea how or why.
Hang in there...

At times, I find the RC programming confusing myself, and I make my living as a software engineer.

I don't have time right now for a detailed step-by-step, but short of that, what would be most helpful to you?
mfremont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I can't even remember which Rx mode I put mine in, if I messed with it at all. I'm either in group 1 or 7, probably 1. Looks like it depends upon what you want to use Ports 1 and 2 for, I don't use them at all, and which channel you want the Gyro to have an effect on for S.Bus. Not 100% sure on that.

After work today I'm going to check this out and see exactly what my settings are. I'm probably also going to change my link mode to FAAST 7ch, for lower latency. And also see if I can run it in high speed mode. Not sure if I need to do that for S.Bus or not. But at least it will make for some good experimenting and familiarization.

I checked it out and found that I was in group 1. I changed it to group 7 just for kicks. I also changed from FASST Multi to FASST 7CH. Can't say I noticed a difference in flight, the radio and heli performed awesome as usual. Seems that high speed mode doesn't apply to S.Bus, so I left it in normal mode.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I think for the most part I need a detailed explanations of radio settings to use. At times I may not even be able to apply settings if the explanations are above my head. A good example to use is that I just came out of playing with nitro on and off road cars, so there isn't much to use off of that experience. Servo reverse servo speed, endpoints subtrims etc.....beyond that there isnt much I know about expo/gyro/mixes/switch assignment/and what ever else needs programming for helicopters. So yes there is much I need to learn. But its seems that the technology is just too far advanced and going backwards is too far away for me to understand even the basics. I feel like I'm trying to learn calculus in kindergarden, without all the learning all the other levels first. And yet its hard to go backwards with all this heli stuff because all the basic understanding are things from years ago, and no hands on experience as radios and helis of that time are rare if not impossible to find.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just switched from JR (9303) and found it took a bit of time to understand the way futaba has programmed there 14sg but finding the radio is great now. Very slick package. Once you spend some time with it, I think you'll really enjoy it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in