Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovar View Post
Angelo, the best advice I can give you is to spend some effort in getting out and finding a local club or attend a funfly. Having someone with some experience going over your 500 will do several things. First, it could catch potential problems and avoid a disaster. Second, it will give you peace of mind knowing that your setup is more than likely good to go. Third, having someone there on your first few flights will do wonders for your confidence.

Finally, and what I feel is the most important aspect... This hobby is 100x more fun when you are around other pilots. Going at this alone, even with this and other websites for help, is a fast way to spend money starting this hobby and never seeing it through. There is a HUGE steep learning curve with the proper setup and tuning of these models, that a simulator can not teach you. Most of the time a well running/tuned CP heli is achieved by experience.
I agree. Already found a club and getting ready to register with AMA. I appreciate your input and you're right. Same is true for other hobbies. Take billiards for example. You can be great at it but what's the fun of playing alone! . Excited to see where this all goes! I really am loving the hobby so far and I'm just scratching the surface...
Angelo A is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've found a nano CPX is a better indoor trainer than the twitchy mCPX BL.
ChasingTail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The simulator has really paid off for me. This time of year I probably spend about 10x the time on the sim that I do IRL. It lets me slow time down so I can watch how the heli acts during maneuvers. Conversely, it lets me speed time up so that when I fly the real heli, even a micro, it seems easier. Best of all it lets me practice things where there's a good chance I'll crash until I get to the point where I can be successful IRL. For an older guy like me, it is just about a requirement. You will have to customize, my stock 130x for example, flies just like the 700 sized model in heli-x when slow motion is set to 110% and the head speed is reduced to about 1600rpm. My mcpx-bl requires more like 2000rpm head speed on the sim and even then it isn't perfect, but it's close enough that I have a reasonably good chance of not crashing until I figure out the differences IRL. My personal opinion on indoor flying is that if you're not in a gym it isn't very helpful while you're learning.

There's considerable stress/excitement each time I take a maneuver mastered in the sim to real life. The adrenalin rush that comes with the challenge, and almost certain success, of those flights is a big part of what has me addicted to this hobby. My success to failure ratio improved a lot when I started using the sim.

Good luck,
George
gstoneberg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingTail View Post
I've found a nano CPX is a better indoor trainer than the twitchy mCPX BL.
Thanks for the input on this.. I hear lots of good things bout this bird as well.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
You will have to customize, my stock 130x for example, flies just like the 700 sized model in heli-x when slow motion is set to 110% and the head speed is reduced to about 1600rpm. My mcpx-bl requires more like 2000rpm head speed on the sim and even then it isn't perfect, but it's close enough that I have a reasonably good chance of not crashing until I figure out the differences IRL
This is good stuff... I really dont adjust the settings of the models on the SIM other than maybe tweak the expo and fly in advanced or moderate modes. I really need to dive into the mechanical settings. This is why i ask how it will all translate to IRL because I feel flying an un-modified, stock SIM model wouldn't be realistic enough that when i get to the field i will be thrown off by how different it is. I hope to dive into this stuff a lot more through the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
My personal opinion on indoor flying is that if you're not in a gym it isn't very helpful while you're learning.
I so wish i had an indoor gym i can fly at... No where around me really. There is one hangar not too far but they only let you fly small fixed wing aircraft less than 8grams i think and very micro helis too. Didnt seem like they would welcome anything larger than say, an mcpx.

Thanks again for the input, happy holidays!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in