Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ok, don't kill me but.... Looking for a plane to fly

I'm looking into buying a plank. I know I know, heli forum, but I know some guys and gals here also fly planes. So I'm looking for some opinions. It will be my first plane so I'm looking for something that will suit my needs. Is there an mcpx of planes? I'd like something spektrum compatible and BNF. If this is more appropriate for the off topics sub forum, feel free to move it.
tyoung560 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

check out the parkzone stuff
Merse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

my first plane was a parkzone wildcat pnp. i flew it with the same lipos i used in my 450. 3s 2200ma. it was easy to fly and it has a rudder.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Multiplex Mentor

I strongly suggest Multiplex Mentor

[ame]http://vimeo.com/42939262[/ame]
http://www.multiplexusa.com/model-kits/mentor.html

Use this motor 12x6 propeller and 4S 2200 lipos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8489

Mentor is very easy to fly and land. Due to its size and wingspan 1.63m it is very well visible and you can fly high.

I use also orange fluorescent vinyl paint.

DO NOT BUY smaller planes at the beginning. Some of them lok great but Mentor flies better. Problem with smaller planes is often landing gear. It can break if you land on the grass. Mentor has sturdy landing gear.

As a second plane I would recommend Multiplex Gemini. It is small but with this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18230 3S 2200 lipo and 10*8 propeller it is lots of fun...

[ame]http://vimeo.com/37479897[/ame]
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you want something big, slow and hi-winged.

I would get a basic electric trainer if you are used to electric.

You may have to accept that if you are looking for bnf you are going to have to make some compromises.

I like the seagull brand, and you will find they do several nice electric trainers.

Do not buy something sporty/low wing for your first plank. Unlike helis, you cant tame them. Sure you can put in low rates, but you still have to land them, which is the most difficult thing to get right. Sporty planes land faster, and harder than a nice gentle low wing trainer.
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Isn't the Wot4 Foam-e supposed to be the dog's danglies, great to learn on and can do virtually all 3d moves?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with a cessna 185. And a gluegun have a lot of fun with that one.. just bought multiplex funcub, twinstar2, and a minimag
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Parkzone t28 trojan is a great plane very easy to fly and can upgrade motor and props down the road and it feels like a new plane.
Was my first plane and still fly it alot

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-bnf-PKZ4480

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixster View Post
Parkzone t28 trojan is a great plane very easy to fly and can upgrade motor and props down the road and it feels like a new plane.

A big thumbs up for this plane. I fly a 450, which for me is very intense, so at the suggestion of my mentor I bought one. Flying it breaks up the adrenalin, which I like sometimes. It's something different, and, at least the way I fly it, is easy and relaxing. I picked it partly because I can use the heli batts in it :-)

I also have a tiny park zone p51d, which matches up with the mcpx at the park. Good fun!!
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

+1 T-28 was also my first plane. Its more capable for aerobatic maneuvers (but not 3D) being a low wing with full "4 channel" control (rudder, aileron, elevator, throttle). Since you already know how to fly a heli I think you can skip the high wing and slow 3 channel trainers, unless you want slow and easy. Like gixster I also upgraded my T-28 with a bigger motor, prop and esc; I also added flaps just for fun.

For a second plane look at getting an all out 3D foamie, check out twistedhobbys.com or dwfoamies.com. If still want more plank later, look at quality balsa 3D or sport planes from 3D HobbyShop, Extreme Flight, or Precision Aerobatics.

One drawback for me since I fly both planes and helis (started with helis) and my club is mostly planes is that I tend to fly my heli like a plane with big circuits, loops, rolls.
Arcturus97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another vote for the park one t-28 here, it's a cool looking military bird but a real tame flyer too. Just make sure you read the instructions when setting up the elevator because it will stall with very little elevator... I haven't bought a brand new one so I don't know what the instructions say on preferred throws there... I suggest any of the park zone bnf planes, except the Messerschmidt and mustang. The mustang is an excellent plane but is difficult to land because it is a super fast airframe, and the Messerschmidt is just junk.
Thatdavidkid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

PZ T-28 or the P-51 Mustang, the P-51 is a hand launcher, no landing gear.
jetskier416 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornell View Post
I picked it partly because I can use the heli batts in it :-)
+1 it comes with a 1800mah 15c, I only use that for bench testing. I fly my 450's 2200-2250mah batteries, no modification needed

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you want the "mcpx" of planes, I would say get the new eflite gee bee. It comes with AS3X technology and seems to resist wind. Go to youtube and type in UMX Gee Bee R2. I'm gonna pick one up after I get another 450+ size heli.

-Give a man a helicopter and he flies for a day. Teach a man to fly helicopters and he flies for a lifetime!
BadVad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might consider a Parkzone Radian. I sure have enjoyed mine. It's slow, stable, and big enough to see. IMO a good plane to learn basic fixed wing flight. After you've mastered it, take it up and hang a thermal-great fun. It comes rtf with a Spektrum radio, or you can get it in B-N-Fly and PNP
basic bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can fly a heli skip the "trainers", you'll be bored with them in a week. If you don't have trouble in the sims with planes then you'll be fine in the real world.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

+1 on the Trojan. I have one myself. I started flying planks back in the 70's and have had and flown many. The Trojan is one of the best flying ARF's that I have seen.

There are many out there that are called "Trainers" but in reality are much harder to fly than the higher performance planes.

The T28 gets my vote!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you want to be in the air quick, you can't go wrong with Parkzone planes. If you like to build, download a set of foanie plans off of the "scratchbuild foamies" forum on RCGroups... I just got back into planes recently and for 20 bucks of materials built a sweet bipe!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got a Radian Pro and a Twisted Hobbys Edge 540... Haven't done much with the Radian yet, but the Edge 540 is SWEET! Definitely like an mCPX! It has a wide speed range, plenty of power (with the suggested motor/servos from TH), and is pretty darn crash resistant.

With no landing gear, it's easy to land on a lawn, just bring it in low'n'slow, and cut the power just before touch-down. Or when I was flying at my son's school field (which is dirt) I simply flew it towards me real slow, and caught it as I cut the power.

It really is a beauty to fly for a noob, and yet it is a full aerobatic plane capable of torque rolls, harrier flight, knife edge, spins, and just about any 3D move you can think of...

As for those that suggest getting into planes via a high-wing trainer, or 3 channel (no ailerons) plane, I would suggest otherwise. The owner of the LHS that I frequent told me not to bother with something like an E-flite Apprentice as I would be terribly bored very quickly, and I believe he was right. If you can fly a heli reasonably well (have FF skills) then learning to fly a plane will come very easily.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whoa! Thanks for all the responses everyone, I definitely have a lot to think about. I can fly the planes no problem in Phoenix so I feel like I could handle it in real life. But I don't want anything too fast, I was something nice and relaxing to fly
tyoung560 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in