Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 500/550 questions - please look

A few questions prior to purchase:

Q1 - I have heard from members of my club who previously had Logos that the tabs to which the landing gear attaches breaks easily, thus rendering the frame unusable and requiring replacement. Is there an upgrade for this or a work around?

Q2 - will a Gens Ace 5300 pack fit in the frames? (I have 4 relatively new, <30 cycles, of them)

Q3 - now that Mikado USA took over, are parts easier to get or is there still a wait for certain parts?

Q4 - any necessary upgrades?

Thank you for your time....I appreciate it!
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Use plastic bolts for landing gear. Which 5300's do you have? The short tall 5300's won't slide under the pinion. I believe the 30C 5300 are too tall.

I have had zero issue getting parts since miladoUSA started. No upgrades are really necessary. IMO
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I believe they are the 30C's but I need to look and confirm. They are not the tall short ones. Basically same dimensions as the 5000mAh Pulse ultras.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the landing gear mounts, speedix makes inserts that bridge the weaker tabs to the part of the frame where the frames bolt together and there's much more meat there. I haven't tried them because I've not had any issues with the stock setup being weak, but they look interesting... Buddyrc.com has them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1115 View Post
I believe they are the 30C's but I need to look and confirm. They are not the tall short ones. Basically same dimensions as the 5000mAh Pulse ultras.
You should be good then with those lipos
Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/sp...600-se-sx.html

I have seen a hard landing that broke the nylon bolts and the model tipped over and smashed the blades.

The problem I think is the nylon bolts are not quite strong enough but metal is too strong.

I have fitted the spedix stiffeners and tested them! The skid struts broke and the frames didn't.

You could count this as an upgrade but is not really required. Overall there is no need for anything other than what Mikado supply.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone, please keep the input coming
Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few questions prior to purchase:

Q1 - I have heard from members of my club who previously had Logos that the tabs to which the landing gear attaches breaks easily, thus rendering the frame unusable and requiring replacement. Is there an upgrade for this or a work around?
Yes on my 480I use the plastic bolts (the good ones from mc mastercarr)
And on my 600 I use the spedix tab upgrade things from buddy RC
They both work very well.

Q2 - will a Gens Ace 5300 pack fit in the frames? (I have 4 relatively new, <30 cycles, of them)
No clue measure them and post them up

Q3 - now that Mikado USA took over, are parts easier to get or is there still a wait for certain parts?no wait , maybe a week in certan situations
See q1 other than that , no. Use quality electronics and you will have no choice other than to enjoy your Heli
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

There appear to be 3 Speedix upgrade flavors... 1) Aluminum main frame stiffener, 2) Carbon fiber main frame stiffener, or 3) Both aluminum and carbon main frame stiffeners. Which flavor do you folks use?
crashjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just the metal lugs usually. The carbon edge panels are a bit overkill and unnecessary really.

The Quick UK swash plate isn't really an upgrade as such but it is as good as the original swash plate and more importantly significantly cheaper than the stock swash plate. Only worth buying if you need to replace the swash though.

I did get the Spedix integrated tail case for my 550SX. Mainly because I never really trusted the original design and the need for judicious use of shims to get the two side plates parallel. Again, it's not necessary at all but it gave me greater peace of mind so it was worth the money to me.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only the Gens Ace 45C 5300mah 6S batteries fit. None of the other C Ratings fit.

I have had no problems with the stock tail.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post

I have had no problems with the stock tail.
Neither did I. There is nothing wrong with the stock tail solution. I just prefer the Spedix solution. Was very much a personal and subjective choice rather than an objective one is better than the other decision. Both tails work. I just prefer the way the Spedix case works.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never a problem with nylon screw on landing skids for me...I use them on everything I fly.

I broke the tab off of one Logo frame, before I started using nylon, I just fabricated a small L bracket out of thin aluminum and bolted it to the frame...still flying it. So a broken tab does not mean the frame is unusable.
Retired2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie View Post
Never a problem with nylon screw on landing skids for me...I use them on everything I fly.

I broke the tab off of one Logo frame, before I started using nylon, I just fabricated a small L bracket out of thin aluminum and bolted it to the frame...still flying it. So a broken tab does not mean the frame is unusable.
So far I have 2 crashes and the nylon bolts sheered off both times with no damage to the frame.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wink

I highly, highly recommend you read this entire thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=593394 started by mkovalcson. I purchased the exact nuts and bolts (nylon bolts with nylock nuts) they have linked in that thread for the frames. Multiple people here on the forums have purchased them and had them work just like they are supposed to. I have heard of others using too weak of nylon bolts that break unnecessarily, so make sure to buy those ones from that thread.

I WISH you could buy the 5300 6s 45C Gens Ace batteries but they have been out of stock since time began. I went with the Optipower 5000 6s 50C and they work great! Timo Wendtland uses them in his review of the 550sx with great success: http://www.twheli.de/modelle/logo-550-sx/english/

Q3 - now that Mikado USA took over, are parts easier to get or is there still a wait for certain parts?

Mikado USA, the field reps and everything about Mikado have been amazing with their support. Parts, kits, troubleshooting are all top notch! Also, with the vStabi forums, you can routinely speak directly with the manufacturer! What other company offers support like that?

I installed the Spedix one piece tail assembly but by no means do you have to have it. The early 550sx kits had a tail belt jumping issue that was resolved with later kits.

One word about the Spedix tail assembly. It is anodized black and not the bare metal finish that the Spedix 600sx tail assembly's are. This means you can't simply sand down the boom to expose the bare metal and call it a day. I have read quite a bit from the vStabi support forums and the guys at Mikado say you don't have to worry about continuity issues with the black belted logo's. There is NO anti-static kit included with the 550sx for a reason. I only have a small number of flights on my 550sx without any anti-static setup and without any issues. I will change my position on this matter should the vbar logs show any tell-tale static problems.
Steve_JR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_JR View Post

Mikado USA, the field reps and everything about Mikado have been amazing with their support. Parts, kits, troubleshooting are all top notch! Also, with the vStabi forums, you can routinely speak directly with the manufacturer! What other company offers support like that?
MSH?

LOL
Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you everyone - I have all the info I need

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in