Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I will wait for Angelos to respond but it does look like if the gyro is mounted inverted you must go RIGHT on the stick.
The reversing on the ds760 works just like any other gyro. As you move the rudder stick left or right, you will see the LED going on or off to show if reversing is active. However, if you first set the transmitter rudder reversing properly the correct setting for the ds760 is always be achieved by moving the stick left. Again like all other gyros if you mount them inverted you need the opposite setting and thus in the case of the ds760 you will need to move the stick to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
2. The gyro seems to be fine with initializing in rate or HH mode and then just being switched to HH mode for flight. The 401 needed to be powered up in HH mode for it to work properly otherwise the error light would come on and who knows what will happen.
The reason the 401 does not start in normal mode is because in that mode the transmitter may have revo mixing active which will affect the rudder neutral that the gyro sees. The ds760 memorises the neutral each time it is powered on in HH mode. If you subsequently power on in Normal mode it will use the last known neutral instead of sampling a new one. It is therefore recommended to power on in HH so it can sample a new stick neutral but no harm done if sometimes you forget. Unless you change the rudder trim the neutral should always be the same.

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWebber View Post
Are you saying that following moving the stick right that you then reversed the tx rudder channel?
No, the tx rudder setting is not reversed and the rudder works as expected in normal operation mode. Its just that when I went into the gyro direction configuration I programmed it to be in the reverse state by moving the stick right instead of left. The stick position during gyro reverse direction configuration is just acting as a binary toggle (left = no reversing, right = enable reversing).
Spektrum DX7

BruceW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the update Angelos.
Spektrum DX7

Last edited by BruceW; 11-13-2007 at 12:57 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just put one of the DS760s on my Logo 500 3D and she is really solid now (I'm no hot
3D guy so I can't speak to that kind of performance). I just estimated the 8 degrees tail blade deflection and she holds wonderfully. I liked the way you program and set the end points. Very easy. One thing I noticed, and Finless alluded to this fact when he said he had to lower the gain on his 600N by a few notches, at 75 gain on my DX 7, where my 401 is happy, the tail was twitching like crazy. Lowered the gain bit by bit till now I'm running at 65 gain and that seems to be the spot. Anyone else notice this? What do you DX 7 users have your gyro gain set to?

By the way, for programming I set the gyro using the gear channel to gear/gear with 75 and 25 limits for toggling the gyro but I put it back to gear/gyro for flying.
surfanarchist is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #105 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I am using the gyro menu on my DX7. Mine is set to 71 which is
(71-50) x 1.44 = 30% real Futaba Gain.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtracey View Post
I'm curious about something. In order for the gyro to recognize that a DX7 hasn't synched yet, you recommend binding it with full left yaw? If that's the case, God fobid you should ever experience a lockout. Is that actually the recommended method?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
As far as I have seen only the throttle goes to failsafe. The other channels stay on the last known position. Please try it and let me know if you find it working different than I have seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
There are two fail-safes. Fail-safe, and SmartSafe.
SmartSafe holds last good signal except throttle, the preset fail-safe goes to settings at bind.
So make sure you bind correctly to set desired type of failsafe.
The only bad thing I can think about with this would be if the 2.5ghz rx reset during flight (which has happened to some because of power problems). The gyro would then go to full left yaw until the rx syncs up with the tx again. I think most heli pilots crash when that happens anyway but going full pyro rate certainly wouldn't help matters . This assumes that the rx does not sync up with the tx for some amount of time
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Apparently, it could only be an issue if you lose, then regain power to the rx while in flight. In that case, any gyro is not going to initialize correctly becaues it's power would have been lost as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

guys, if the dx7 locks out it doesn't have any effect on rudder so binding to the left will cause zero disruption should the worst happen. on a dx7 only the throttle is actually failsafe. the rest is last position (hold). i have tested this with my own dx7 and 760.

if anyone has found different please say but if i test losing signal (turning tx off) then the rudder doesn't move.

cheers
raptorheli2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #109 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am no expert since I have only had a DX7 and AR7000 but I believe with a spectrumized radio or a X9303 with a AR9000 you can bind for a preset failsafe position on each channel. e.g. if the RX looses the signal you can have the servos go to center for instance. So your correct abouth the DX7 / AR7000 but for other 2.4's this may not be the case???? At least thats how it was explained to me.

Bob
Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I only know about the DX6 and DX7. When you bind you set the failsafe for all channels but when they go into failsafe is different in 2 scenarios.

- Power on: All channels except throttle go to failsafe when the rx first receives power(turned on). The throttle does not output a signal until it gets a signal from the tx.
- In flight rx looses signal but still has power: The throttle goes to failsafe if the rx looses the tx signal all other channels remain at last position.

So scenario 1 applies when the rx resets(looses power and comes back on).
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #111 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

The X9303 and Spektrum module with AR9000 has two fail safe modes

"SmartSafe" which works just like the DX7:

After the system makes a connection, if loss of signal occurs, SmartSafe drives the throttle servo only to its preset fail-safe position (low throttle) that was set during binding. All other channels hold their last position. When the signal is regained, the system immediately (less than 4 ms) regains control.

and

"Preset Fail-Safe" : and only works with AR9000 or JR R921 recievers

After the system makes a connection, if loss of signal occurs preset fail-safe drives all servos to their preset fail-safe positions. When the signal is regained, the system immediately (in less than 4 ms) regains control.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!

Last edited by fireup; 11-15-2007 at 05:02 PM..
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Wink

Angelo!!

Support for WISTA sooooooon or........
IcemanCharlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Fireup, Thanks for that info. I didn't know about that feature of the AR9000. When I was talking about the DX6 and DX7 I really should have said the AR6000, AR6100, and AR6200.

From the Spektrum site:
"I understand the AR9000 has two types of fail-safe?
The AR9000 features both Smart Safe and a conventional fail-safe. With Smart Safe, if there is a loss of signal the throttle servo will move to a preset position (idle) while holding the last position command of the other servos. The AR9000 also has conventional programmable fail-safe that drives all servos to their preset position if there is a signal loss. When the signal is regained, complete control is resumed within 4ms."

Interesting. So the AR9000 has the option to set all channels to preset or last position during signal loss. So for those using the conventional preset position during loss of signal, Binding the rx with full left yaw on rudder would be a problem.

How do you select between the two?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #114 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa2 View Post

How do you select between the two?
When you bind, you pull the bind plug after you power the reciever and it starts blinking; it will be in "Preset fail-safe" mode.

If you leave the bind plug in while binding, it will be in "SmartSafe" mode.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone had problems getting their ds760 into configuration mode? I am following Bob's videos to the letter but I cannot consistently get the 760 in configuration mode. Most of the time I can't get it into configuration mode at all. I am using the DX7 and I bound the Tx to the Rx with the rudder all the way to the left. When I power up the heli and I keep switching the gain switch back and forth, it just doesn't do anything. Does it matter where the throttle is at during this process? Should I not have binded with the rudder all the way to the left?
UGH!!!
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks Matt
mpetrich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to toggle from rate mode switch position with the DX7

I may be wrong but, The problem I think is caused by the AR7000/DX7 bind time being longer than the Gyro boot up time.

I thought there was a Fix added from revision 1.02 onwards.? Try disconnecting the Gyro.. Then switch the Heli on...then plug in the Gyro afterwards and toggle.

I'm having a similiar issue using an 8700G tail servo and waiting for Angelos to come up with some suggestions..It goes full travel binding out till the DX7 connects
highland flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Matt,

What gain settings do you have in your tx? If you don't have enough gain set in rate/hh, the ds760 would not be seeing the signal needed to tell it to go into configuration mode. I saw someone do this in person so I know it can happen. He had rate mode at 0% since he never flys in rate.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #118 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes Mark is right.... If you using a DX7 and end points leave the ends at 100/100.

If using the gyro menu you MUST make sure you set a gain for each position and enable the 2 gain positions. By default the gyro menu uses only the first gain position no matter what the idle up switch is set to. Thus you will never get into setup mode.

Bob
Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just went back and checked an older discussion I had with raptoheli2 about this some time ago..

If you have set the above as per Bob/mark and still not getting into setup with the DX7, The get around is to unplug the Red connector at RX...but this should only be necessary if you have very early fimware in your Gyro, as from v1.02 it should enter setup Ok. Currently version is rev 1.03
highland flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use the gear channel as gear and have my gains set at -54/54 on JR 7202. Gear channel goes from -100->0->100. Anyway with those gains I can make it go into configuration mode (firmware 1.02).
Spektrum DX7

Last edited by BruceW; 11-17-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in