Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default UFLYS Questions

Hi, I am relatively new to heli's. I have a MSR and I have upgraded to a dx7 for control duties. I am looking at getting a larger heli for some outdoor flight this summer and I am trying to decide between a HoneyBee FP V2, Walkera UFLYS, and a Blade 120sr. I think the sr is out of the running due to its size for outdoor flight (do like it for the bnf option). I posted a similiar thread in the HBFPV2 forum to get some feed back on that one so now I am here. Where do you guys get parts? What is the deal with all the out of stock stuff I am seeing? How is the durability of the uflys?

And the big question, due to me having a dx7 that I love, has anyone done a electronics swap on the uflys? I would like, over time, to swap out the esc, gyro, and reciever to be able to use the spektrum radio I have. I realize the cost of doing this will equal the cost of the heli but it would be a fun project. If anyone has the ability to compare these helis for me that would be great also. Thanks.
fixed1313 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

actually the Honey Bee and the uflys are both nice helis but the uflys has a lot of advantages over the Bee, its brushless and does not have the evil tail motor to worry about failing during flight..it has a varible pitch tail rotor which holds a lot better then the motor driven tails..the bee has a bad reputation of burning the 4n1 out if you don't quickly cut the throttle in a crash, if there is power going to the speed control and the blades can't turn it smokes out the 4n1..the only down side to the uflys is the small drive gear on the front of the tail boom it is easily stripped but there is mods to let the tail gears slip and that protects the small front gear, it works i did it to mine and have never stripped a gear since..parts are pretty available online you might have to search around a bit tho..but some other helis parts are interchangeable i run blades from a diff heli and i like it better..the stock uflys blades are brittle and snap like egg shells i think...the uflys is fast and it can get moving really fast on ya..it is a bit tail heavy with the battery that comes with it but most have found a larger battery balances it out nice, i run 1300mah in mine and the CG is near perfect..i got mine with the optional wk2801 pro transmitter and i like it a lot. it has 8 model memory among lots of other nice features..kind of like the dx7 ect....
oh forgot to mention the uflys has the nice 3 axis gyro which helps stabilize the heli..and its adjustable as well can be turned off at the pilots preference..a lot of converting there uflys to flybar less and really love it , i plan on converting mine in the next couple weeks or so...

hope this helps..i could go on and on but might get boring...lol

good luck...
magicmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dear Sir,

how do you make the modification to prevent tail gear strips in the uflys?

Thanks,
Dr. Manuel.
manueljohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

its a bit difficult to explain but i will give it a try. first remove the tail shaft by taking off the tiny E-clip on the outside and unscrew the 2 screws in the rudder slider.then take out the very tiny pin through the shaft and set it a side with the E-clip you wont need them..then take a flybar weight and place it in a Dremel tool (or drill would work) and spin it against a sanding block (i used a belt sander) to reshape it like a cone shape so it will fit where the tail gears are and not rub against them,you also have to drastically shorten the grub screw or it will stick out and hit the gear..i had to shorten it on both ends so i would have enough to get the hex wrench in to tighten it...then find some type of plastic tube that fits on the shaft..and set it a side with the reshaped flybar weight....take the tail shaft and use some kind of small wire (i used tiny tempered piano wire) and put it thru the hole in the shaft where the gear pin was...it needs to hold in on its own you may have to bend it on each end to keep it from falling out...slip the shaft back in the tail just till its before going thru the gear then place a piece of the plastic tubing (you have to experiment with different sizes to get it just rite) then place the flybar weight on against the tubing and slide the shaft the rest of the way thru, the pin you placed in will stop it when it gets to the bearing...then you have to place your thumb on the shaft where the blades go and your index finger on the other end where the tail fin is on the outer bearing and squeeze it very tight to place tension against the flybar weight and plastic , while holding it very tightly then use your hex wrench to tighten the grub screw in the flybar weight...spin it to make sure nothing rubs the gear if it does you need to shave it more , i used a Dremel tool and a cut off wheel to do so...after it spins and nothing is rubbing test it by turning the tail rotor by hand , if it slips without turning the main blades its to loose you need to squeeze it harder when you tighten the grub screw...this mod requires maintenance you need to check it often to make sure it has not came loose , if its to loose it will slip in flight and cause your heli to spin ccw...I will attach a picture to give you a good look at how it is when finished...mine got to slipping a bit to much and i used a tooth pick and placed a tiny tiny bit of thread lock against the flybar weight and plastic and also between the plastic tube and gear ...it gives it a kind of sticky feeling and holds well but still allows it to slip when needed....takes a bit of trial and error but it pays off in the saved gears from stripping...

good luck...

Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

update you need to do the mod a different way it is better the way that tkerins here on Helifreak performed the mod, it looks like stock and is easier to do...

go here and he describes how to do it...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...42#post2875942

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in