Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default SK & FASSTest 14ch telemetry Futaba R7008SB R7003SB 14SG SBus / SBus2

I recently upgraded from a Futaba 8FG to a Futaba 14SG. Now I'm interested in trying out some of the telemetry features, beyond the RX voltage.

I used to read every thread in this SK forum and recall seeing issues about the FASSTest 14 channel mode (needed for telemetry beyond RX voltage) causing problems with SK. I think I remember that the solution was to use FASSTest 12 channel mode (limiting telemetry to RX voltage) or FASST multi (no telemetry). I didn't pay much attention then since I had the 8FG. I went back and found some old threads but found inconsistent answers.

What is the latest about using a R7008SB rx in FASSTest 14 channel mode with telemetry and SBus connection to a SK unit? How about for R7003SB (yes I've seen the threads about SBus issues with R7003SB and VBar)? Is there a particular SK firmware that solved this or other work around?

FYI, The desired end state is to use a current / mah consumption sensor and continue to use single wire SBus connection to my SK-540s. Thanks!
* Futaba 14SG
Arcturus97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FASSTest 14 does not work with the SK units yet. I was told by Skookum that it should be fixed in the next software/firmware update. To use sBus2 sensors you'll have to wait for the update.

In FASSTest 12 you get Rx voltage and can also get one external voltage via the external voltage port and wire.

I also plan on getting an E-Fuel gauge.

Please note that I do not yet have my 14SG, its on order. But have spent a lot of time checking all this out before ordering it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks dpelletier, I was afraid that was the answer. At least telemetry was not the main motivation for my upgrade to 14SG. My likely course of action is to buy one e-fuel gauge and put it on my G700 that has an iKon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelletier View Post
FASSTest 14 does not work with the SK units yet. I was told by Skookum that it should be fixed in the next software/firmware update. To use sBus2 sensors you'll have to wait for the update.

In FASSTest 12 you get Rx voltage and can also get one external voltage via the external voltage port and wire.

Please note that I do not yet have my 14SG, its on order. But have spent a lot of time checking all this out before ordering it.
* Futaba 14SG
Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would expect Skookum to come out with an update sometime this spring.

Side note(question) as a user of both Skookum and iKon, how would you compare them?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Side note(question) as a user of both Skookum and iKon, how would you compare them?
I intended to put a 720BE in my G700C, however they were sold out everywhere I looked at the time so I went with the iKon. I like the iKon so far but can't really fairly compare them yet (feel in the air anyway) as I have only had two days / 9 flights with the iKon so far due to the weather and my schedule. Here are some thoughts on the features, setup, interface, and first flights:

Some of the feature differences between SK-540 and iKon:
SK has two independent cyclic and tail banks; iKon has three banks w/ each bank controlling all
iKon has self level assignable to bank(s)
iKon has optional bluetooth interface for tablet, smartphone, laptop; SK has field terminal
Price: SK-540 Clear upgraded to banks and governor costs the same as an iKon; the red metal case SK-540 costs $25 more than the plastic case iKon

I can tell you that the setup went very well on the iKon. The iKon setup "wizard" doesn't hold your hand nearly as much as SK; but it still was easy (from the perspective of someone with some experience); this could be viewed as pro or con.

Initial flights went very well, I was pleased. I started off using the Castle Edge governor vice the iKon governor to make sure the tail was sorted before engaging iKon governor. The only change I made the first day was headspeed and Castle governor gain - the Goblin didn't like my lowest headspeed. Tail and cyclic were doing great. I even tried the self level on that first day - it worked but was a bit soft. I didn't change a single parameter on the iKon itself that first day, using the default values for a 700 with the sport and 3D styles in each bank 1 and 2 and a beginner style in bank 3 with self level in bank 3.

In between day 1 and day 2 I setup the iKon governor, again with default settings except for checking the electric box and enabling autorotation bailout on banks 2 and 3 but not 1. The governor worked pretty good on day 2. I realized I forgot my laptop when I got to the field but was happy that I didn't need to make any changes. I'll probably up the governor gain a little bit. Prior to day 2 I upped the self level gain and may tweak that a bit more. As a bonus I also had autorotation bailout working - this is a feature I never got to work on my SK while still being in the Castle Ext Gov mode. Autorotation bailout on the iKon is working nice while in Castle Ext Gov mode.

One thing that I've noticed is a big difference in the "advanced" interface on the iKon. There are a lot of parameters to screw around with, everything has a P-I-D gain value each (cyclic, tail, governor) plus precompensation and stops. I haven't quite wrapped my head around it yet. On the surface it appears more powerful and tuneable than SK but also easier to screw up or get lost. This is a pro / con based on individual preference and experience level. The basic interface may be sufficient for many.

In summary so far I'm pleased with how the iKon is flying on pretty much default 700 settings. The only things I plan on tweaking in the near future are governor gain(s), self level gain and tuning, and perhaps a small change to tail precompensation. It may be fun to mess around with other values or perhaps I let it be...
* Futaba 14SG
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SK & FASSTest 14ch telemetry Futaba R7008SB R7003SB 14SG SBus / SBus2

Quote:

I'm up and running with fast-12 and the voltage telemetry, interested in the fuel gauge as well, though with flying season pretty much here the tinkering is on hold
X5 - 550
TBur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Some of the feature differences between SK-540 and iKon:
Thanks for the detailed write up... very interesting.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought an e-fuel gauge and then found out about this. It's sitting in its package, waiting...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in