Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
The woodies are still going to trash your heli pretty good because you have to maintain a pretty decent headspeed to keep it form being wobbly in the air, although Terrabit is correct in saying they will come apart easier and cause less secondary damage. CF's tend to transfer the damage to other parts, so that's why I recommend putting them away until you are ready to really get into aerobatics instead of hovering and orientations.
Of the twelve helis I've built from kit, I've crashed literally hundreds of times, literally - largely because I did not use a simulator from the start (another excellent tool). I've had the good fortune to be able to pick a heli up, set it upright, and continue flying maybe once or twice with cf blades. I've had the better fortune to pick up a heli with broken $13 woodies, replace them, and continue many more times. I've crashed from basically a nose in hover less than ten feet off the ground and had to rekit (Protos - pos - imo!). A lot of it just comes down to luck. But, the rest is simple physics.

At 3000 rpm, the tips of your blades are moving at 114,668mm/second (114.7m/second). If rotational inertia is 1.25kg (2*21g*172.5mm squared = 2blades*blade weight*center of mass squared), and angular velocity is 54m/s(2*3.14*172.5mm*3000rpm/60sec=2pi*rad/s), then angular momentum is 67kg.

If that 67kg breaks apart and seperates from your heli rather than transfering into your heli, less damage will occur. There simply is no defenseable argument against this fact. This is also why it could be considered efficacius to build programmable points of failure into your heli such as less than bomber proof servo arms. Servo arms are cheaper than servos. To some degree you can choose where the system fails in the event of a crash.

Okay, I'm done arguing.

Late!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congrats icerat4.... you got your sticky

B
Bri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well lets see some newbie video...I will have some more if weather permits ..Here in illinois its been a lilttle wet as of the last 45 days Lol
icerat4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabit View Post
Okay, I'm done arguing.
Wow, the geek has been out geeked! lol Never wanted to argue semantics, just making a point that even woodies will kill your heli, so don't count on them saving anything if you ball it up. They are also great for learning auto's too because typically you end up bouncing them or having tipovers (even if you get good, you still goof a few), so it's nice to drop $6-$13 instead of $17-$45 on CF's.

Just wanted to reiterate a pont I mentioned earlier: Be sure you lube up the shafts every few flights. I started to notice a wierd screeching noise coming from the tail. I though it was my servo, but actually ended up being the tail servo guide rod. I took some oil off the tail pipe of my buddy's Rappy 30 and slimed it up a bit. Problem solved!!!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Its really funny but i fly ok nose in...tail in is alot harder for me ...I hear alot of wow nose in frist hover..Well thats the way i fly nose in .Its way way eaiser for me.I guess i am backwards on this one...But serious this should be a sticky to help and show progress of us newbies....Just a thought Mods here...

Great first hover's and doing nose-ins among that...! It reminds me of another nooby who did the same awhile back, and struck me as kind of odd. It turned out, the reason it was easier for him doing nose-ins and harder tail ins, was his cyclic directions were not correct and opposite on the TX... Lol... Are you sure as your heli is sitting in front of you tail towards you, that when your looking down at your TX and give right Aileron, that in fact your rotor disc (sitting tail in) is then turning to the right...? And then left input with Aileron then also tilts the disc to the left ? And then of course, forward tilts forward and etc. etc.

It could be yours is correct, and your one of the golden childs of flight, but I would check to make sure.

J-MICHAEL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MICHAEL View Post
Great first hover's and doing nose-ins among that...! It reminds me of another nooby who did the same awhile back, and struck me as kind of odd. It turned out, the reason it was easier for him doing nose-ins and harder tail ins, was his cyclic directions were not correct and opposite on the TX... Lol... Are you sure as your heli is sitting in front of you tail towards you, that when your looking down at your TX and give right Aileron, that in fact your rotor disc (sitting tail in) is then turning to the right...? And then left input with Aileron then also tilts the disc to the left ? And then of course, forward tilts forward and etc. etc.

It could be yours is correct, and your one of the golden childs of flight, but I would check to make sure.

Ok when i am nose in and the heli starts floating to the left i move the aileron stick to the right and that will bring the heli from a left float to the right....Down is backwards on the elevator and up is forward....Tail in right is right left is left which i have a little trouble with...I sim alot and i alway felt more confortable with nose in...My heli and sim are set up the way all heli guys fly.Except for the setting for a rookie flying...
If i am hoving right in front of me nose in and i hit the stick to the right the heli tilts or flys left .if it is nose in in front of me in a perfect hover i hit the stick left the heli goes to the right....Yup this is how i learned.Like i said i alway thought starting off flying that nose in was the right way to fly..Hummmm Does this mean i am a bonehead

I am far far away from being a golden flyer..The real flers full 3d are the golden ones..I am just a rookie that is backwards...

O one last thing i did do alot of rc cars in the past and as the car came towards me the sticks were oppisite the same as this heli..
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Does this mean i am a bonehead
Not at all........ Just amazing ! I just wanted to make sure with you, because I've seen it before. Yeah, that's crazy.... Nose-in is one of the struggles that most have at first, if not all. Consider yourself lucky ! I envy that........ I'am always just trying to find the sense in things is all also. Do you find anything similiar in life as doing things in a opposite sense I wonder ? I've heard of this condtion below before and was just wondering maybe ?

Quote:
Dysgraphia is a disorder which expresses itself primarily during writing or typing, although in some cases it may also affect eye-hand coordination in such direction or sequence oriented processes as tying knots or carrying out a repetitive task. Dysgraphia is distinct from Dyspraxia in that the person may have the word to be written or the proper order of steps in mind clearly, but carries the sequence out in the wrong order.
But most likely, it is what it is, and you just have no problem at all, and are one of the lucky fellers... I'll be curious how you progress with the heli's, because I'am betting maybe you could advance quicker than most ? If so, I'am taking lessons from you ! (LMAO).... But seriously though, congrats on your progress, and throw up some more vids, so we can get the sticky back to what it was for. Your doing VERY good, and keep it up partner.....

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MICHAEL View Post
Not at all........ Just amazing ! I just wanted to make sure with you, because I've seen it before. Yeah, that's crazy.... Nose-in is one of the struggles that most have at first, if not all. Consider yourself lucky ! I envy that........ I'am always just trying to find the sense in things is all also. Do you find anything similiar in life as doing things in a opposite sense I wonder ? I've heard of this condtion below before and was just wondering maybe ?

But most likely, it is what it is, and you just have no problem at all, and are one of the lucky fellers... I'll be curious how you progress with the heli's, because I'am betting maybe you could advance quicker than most ? If so, I'am taking lessons from you ! (LMAO).... But seriously though, congrats on your progress, and throw up some more vids, so we can get the sticky back to what it was for. Your doing VERY good, and keep it up partner.....

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Thank you ..i am still just hovering and doin a piro here and there..The space out front of my house is small and i am still nervous But I have to say nose in is a way better look fo sure...Ok keep the vids comming i should have a new one up later after the bears game..
Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default More vids

Hey guys Bears win ..And i did a few piros today...As i am a newbie i just want to say to all new guys watching this utube..Just get the heli up there its pretty stable dont worry you will have time to correct in rookie mode...I do alot of sim g4 this helpped me the most i feel.The mcx cx2 were ok but the msr and g4 sim are the way to go IMO FO Rookies newbies Imo..So thats it for this sunday i didnt break anything and had nice easy flights ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jEquik9Vg
Old 11-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ice ~

Excellent....! Keep it up, your doing very well.... It won't be very long and you'll have that training gear off. But no need to rush things... When I first was starting out, and when I thought I was ready to take the training gear off, what I did instead of taking them off, was I would cut off 1" from the length of the legs... And then every week thereafter, another inch, until finally there was nothing left there and removed them ! At first the heli looked "bare" and funny because I was so use to staring at them ! (LMAO)...

Yeah, I hear ya on the RC-Car thing... Maybe that's what makes it easier for you. I also do RC-Cars to this day, but it really never helped me to awfully much. What did though as far as orientation was I bought a few planes and that helped me for the actual flying part. Mainly my rightside banked turns, and yes the nose-ins...!

Cool the Bears won...! Have a good one,

~ Jeff
Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is what I did with my "training wheels" (as my daughters call them). One of the reasons, besides getting better, was that as you can see I busted up my skids on the heli.

This is the first time posting a pic so if I did anything wrong, please feel free to let me know...

B
Old 11-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always thought training gear went on in a X Pattern
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They were in the "X" pattern until I broke the front portion of my skids and would tip front to rear really bad. I was getting ready to take the training gear completely off until I had to do that "mod" to mine. Still waiting for replacement skids which were ordered a couple of weeks ago.

PLEASE NOTE (to really newbies): This is not the "conventional" way of using training gear, just the way I modded mine due to stated issue.

icerat4, you have yours on correct.

B
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We used to put them on side-ways (like how he has them in the pic, except the rods stuck out to the sides instead of front-to-back). Reason being you have a much higher chance of doing a tip-over on the sides. Going backwards you have the tail fin and the length of the skids to stop you from touching, so going forwards was the only real trouble area (which was actually the least worrisome). You normally have the fore/aft movements down really easy because the hei is doing the same thing as your stick. The side-to-side is what seems to kill most people. To each his own though. It just seemed more intuitive to do it the way we had it.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yay, more physics! Chalk another one up to the universal gravitational constant (big "G" gravity): F=G•M1•M2/d^2 or G=6.67•10^-11•Nm^2/kg^2. Better represented here on earth as 9.8m/s^2. Little "g" gravity varies in relation to your position relative to the equator. Centipetal force has the net effect of reducing gravity at the equator where distance from the Earth's axis results in higher angular velocity as opposed to the poles where angular velocity is lower. You and your heli are marginally heavier at the poles.

Last edited by terrabit; 11-02-2009 at 05:48 PM..
terrabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

TREX 450V1 Second CP Flight 0001 (4 min 35 sec)
yowser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any flight that ends without having to buy additional parts is a good one!

ps: Let your dog out! Sounds like she has to go.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowser View Post

I think this shows just how much more stable a heli flies once you are out of "ground effect".

yowser, take a look at your flight and you can easily see that once you get the heli up about 3-5 ft. off the ground (couple of times in your vid) (out of GE), it just looks alot more stable. I know when I first started flying my co-ax I was afraid to get too high off the ground but once I got the cahones to go a little higher, it was sooooo much easier to fly. I also noticed that once I started getting around 40-50 ft of the ground, the are different wind patterns the higher you go. Just one more thing to think about. Great job for your second flight!

B
Old 11-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bears lose more time to play lol..

This is up and down practice to get a better feel for the speed and sticks movement..I thought i did ok fo a rookie...10 flight...The next pics you will see is my frist blade strike .Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpJE7uC7EQ
Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

First blade strike..It got a little foward on me..The blades hit the dirt 1 sec...And pulled up...I just changed the blades and it flew better then past..Some pic of the blades here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00535.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	123587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00536.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	123588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00537.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	123589  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in