Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just did a quick motor check on the hobbyking site. These two motors look like they might work with the DD inline setup.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

This one might also work with your design Scot.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_315W.html

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Both of those motors fit the 450 pro motor mount.

#1 : check
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

How wide is it between the frames? You'll need a little more than 28mm unless there's a cutout in the frame.

If you use a motor and extend the frame, isn't that enough length to retain the stock boom and belt with your longer blades? That would be easier if you didn't have to source a new belt.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500 View Post
Both of those motors fit the 450 pro motor mount.

#1 : check
I like the second one I listed. Might have to throw one in the cart next time I make a hobby king order.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
How wide is it between the frames? You'll need a little more than 28mm unless there's a cutout in the frame.

If you use a motor and extend the frame, isn't that enough length to retain the stock boom and belt with your longer blades? That would be easier if you didn't have to source a new belt.

The Pro frame is 26mm wide. Pretty sure you would want to cut out the frame around the motor. Like how it is in hochoco pictures. That way the motor gets plenty of air for cooling.

I would totally say yes, if you extended the frame around the boom block back about 50mm, the stock boom should work fine...sweetness.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I ordered the front torque tube gears to try the TT to pulley/belt mod from infinity hobby and while I was at it, went ahead and ordered the stretch 480 boom with the extended torque tube shafts. Figure even if the mod doesn’t work, I’ll just put the stretch TT boom on my stock HK 450 Pro and order up some more 360mm blades…Yeah Baby! …win win in my book.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7076

Last edited by HELIHANKSTER; 05-13-2012 at 06:38 AM..
HELIHANKSTER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

How far away from the boom should the motor be? This motor is a common motor for quads. ntm 2826 1200 kv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7149  2000X1328.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	316115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7152  2000X1328.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	316117  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mockup looks great JC!
Not sure Bud, do you have a rough guess what the length of the coupler needs to be. I would think the coupler would dictate the motor distance from the boom. Using that style of boom clamps should give you some leeway on the distance. You can always move the boom back or forward to make a good connection.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

The boom blocks would need to be moved up about a 1/4 inch so this motor will not hit the main motor. it would be pretty strait forward. Get all the parts and we will do it!

I would say 1/2 inch for the coupler.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Johnnycat & Helihankster,

I was pleasantly surprised to see this recent development.

Thank you for following-up on the idea.
I am impressed by your ingenuity and skills in trying to come up with the dream and perfect heli!
I have no doubt that your collaborative efforts will result in a working prototype very soon.

JC, please put me in line to buy the kit in case you decide to sell :-)
Your mock-up gave me an idea that it can be used for any heli, and it is just a matter of making an adapter to attach it to the frame. Maybe you can also make one for a 500-size heli at a later time?

I can't wait to see your progress and the success of such an exciting project.
Good luck to both of you!

Helihankster, thanks for sharing your experience using a 4S setup. I need to try it on my heli as well.

Best regards,

HAROLD
hochoco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Harold nice to hear from you. If it works for HH I will make sure you get one. How is your dd 450 doing?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The boom blocks would need to be moved up about a 1/4 inch so this motor will not hit the main motor. it would be pretty strait forward. Get all the parts and we will do it!

I would say 1/2 inch for the coupler.
Right with you JC, ¼ inch up should do it. It also puts the horizontal boom alignment back closer to the original Align Pro design. Wonder though, if using Scots idea to extend the frame back at the boom block isn’t the way to go. I find the idea of being able to use the stock length boom with 360mm blades very appealing.

I have to say JC, this double motor setup does look bad a$$ and yeah I was too lazy to take off the belt pulley and motor pinion for the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2964T (640x480).jpg
Views:	805
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	316248  

Last edited by HELIHANKSTER; 05-13-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Harold

Loved the pictures of your stretch fbl D450 with DDVP tail and your idea of the inline tail motor is sweet!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes we could move the boom blocks back to use the stock boom with 360 blades. It would be tail heavy with 3s,but you could shorten the stock boom for the 325 blades so the cg would be right.

edit : guess that won't work, forgot it's a tt. To use the stock tt boom shaft and all that goes with it is the way to go.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was looking at HH and harold's cp set up and saw there is no need to have that piece in there that you cut out to use the stock servo location. I will change that in the file.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes we could move the boom blocks back to use the stock boom with 360 blades. It would be tail heavy with 3s,but you could shorten the stock boom for the 325 blades so the cg would be right.

edit : guess that won't work, forgot it's a tt. To use the stock tt boom shaft and all that goes with it is the way to go.
Yeah I’m worried about the CofG to if the boom block were to be extended back. I’m going to be running 4s from here on out, so thinking Cof G wouldn’t be bad using a heaver 4s. Wasn’t thinking about running 3s at all. But rethinking it, the added frame and heaver 4s to get the CofG right (2200mah 4s instead of the 1800mah 4s I’m using now) would add weight that this bird really doesn’t need. Might be better to leave the boom block location alone so you can go either way (stock or stretched) by using the boom setup of your choice.

Last edited by HELIHANKSTER; 05-13-2012 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: I suck at prononciation
Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Was looking at HH and harold's cp set up and saw there is no need to have that piece in there that you cut out to use the stock servo location. I will change that in the file.
Sweet!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey Harold nice to hear from you. If it works for HH I will make sure you get one. How is your dd 450 doing?
Thanks for asking about my 450DD. Here's the current state of my DD 450Pro CP w/ DD variable pitch tail:

1. I changed it to a flybar head temporarily since I used the FBL controller for a multi-blade setup on another heli.
2. I retrofitted the landing gear to use the one from a TRex 600.
3. For the canopy, I am using the one from Gazaur 480.
4. I changed the tail motor to a lower KV so I can use a single 3S battery instead of using a separate battery for the tail.

I am enjoying flying this heli but a little bit on the heavy side. Unfortunately, I do not have a scale to weigh it. I still have to convince my son to take the time to take a video while I'm flying.

Using a DDVP tail motor makes it tail heavy so I need to compensate with a bigger battery. I am currently using a 5000mah 3S which balances it well. The good part is that I can fly for 12 minutes. The bad side is that I find it a bit under-powered so I will try a 4S setup as what Helihankster did.

Using an in-line direct drive tail as you and Helihankster are experimenting, will help make it well balanced which will hopefully result in a lower overall flying weight.

The good thing I like about a separate motor for the tail is that I can set the main rotor to a lower head speed without affecting the tail authority. This will be a good setup for scale when using a multi-blade rotor head. Of course, it looks very cool too :-)

I'm really excited and I'm keeping close watch on the progress of your collaborative efforts.

Helihankster, I saw that you plan to drill the motor to fit a 5mm shaft? Have you done it yet? That sounds like a good idea!

HAROLD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2130.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	316255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	316256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2132.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	316257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2133.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	316258  
hochoco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

I realize you guys want to use the torque tube but just to throw another idea out there...you could mount the motor on the side of the frame, outside that is, using a belt. This might allow the motor to stay closer to the main shaft for CG consideration or position as desired for more tail length. Two benefits...no motor mount needed and you'd get rid of the half twist in the belt for a little less drag.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

@Harold

You should definitely try 4s on that sweet machine. The power increase is very noticeable. Just don’t be like me, make sure everything is tighten down good, cause 4s will find any weak spots.

The Gazaur canopy looks awesome! Always wanted to try one out on one of my 450s.

Wanted to drill out the shaft today, but being its mother day and my sons birthday day is tomorrow I had to do some cleaning up for his party so didn’t really have a chance. Wonder if JC has had a chance to drill out his motor yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in