Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Is the hype still there?

I have waited on getting an nx4 and the urge is still there to get one.

My main concern is the size and if it has plenty of power coming from electric helis.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes and yes. I am itching to fly mine once we lose a bit of snow and it warms up a bit.

You are ahead as you can change-fix-mod the few things found to have an almost perfect machine.

The size is great and the canopy design makes it bigger and easier to see. Love the canopy. I sold my 600n and barely fly my 700n since getting this.

My friend who flys a 700E, unlimited power, was commenting "it's a rocket ship." The heli is FAST!

I think most coming from electric won't be disappointed. I think this might be as close to power to weight you are going to find right now for nitro compared to electrics.

Nitro will make you a better pilot as you don't have unlimited power and you will have to "fly" the heli more (don't take the wrong way). I think many electric only guys are also having fun with the fuel and fly convenience plus the sound-smoke-and seeming more like a machine.

Get it!! No regrets here!

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

it will teach you collective management. im running 13 degrees and find it a bit slower then my electrics. i have not started to lean it out yet, as im still breaking in the motor, so i hope i find some more "pop". its the "pop" thats not there. maybe i'll adjust pitch boost up some more.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

it doesnt have the power of your modern electric helis of course but hell man i love this thing

it does everything i throw at it .. if your going to upgrade to 20t pinion then you will need better collective management. but i see no need to upgrade to it stock setup is just awesome i have more fun with this thing than any of my electric helis

this thing is a good beater machine and you wont be disappointed with it ! Get one
Gaza-Davies is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: Is the hype still there?

I should mention I have owned a 700n and velo 50. I really enjoyed the velo 50. Felt better them the 700 sized nitro.

That is one reason I wanted another nice nitro, work in collective management.

I think I'm going to order one soon, if I can find an OS 37 in stock with a Hatori pipe.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
it will teach you collective management. im running 13 degrees and find it a bit slower then my electrics. i have not started to lean it out yet, as im still breaking in the motor, so i hope i find some more "pop". its the "pop" thats not there. maybe i'll adjust pitch boost up some more.
Yes more pitch boost will help once you lean it out. But you are very right holding 13-14 degrees like some of these electrics....no.

I will say the power to weight is better then my 700n (granted my engine is going on 7 yrs! but still putting out some great power).

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What kind of flight times you getting?

And so you need the header tank?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawn78 View Post
What kind of flight times you getting?

And so you need the header tank?
yes running header tank .. i think im getting round about 7 min flight maybe more i dont time it i think my throttle is little low have not checked.. guys are club keep telling me to hurry up saying i been flying for about 10 min
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol about 6-7 min with 25 second refuel

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ahhh ok. I thought I heard when it first came out they were claiming like 12 min
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawn78 View Post
Ahhh ok. I thought I heard when it first came out they were claiming like 12 min
depends on the type of flying i think the most ive got out of 3D is 8mins which is awesome .. and i fly back to back sometimes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaza-Davies View Post
depends on the type of flying i think the most ive got out of 3D is 8mins which is awesome .. and i fly back to back sometimes
Very true, just like batteries, flight times are relative.

I'm sure it saves on fuel though compared to a 60 or 90 sized nitro?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah sure does its about 15 flights per gallon im not sure if that's u.s gallon or 5L i have not checked my self but i go through gallon a weekend depending on weather
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

7 minutes of 3D, 15 flights to a gallon. I'd say the hype is still there. I know more and more people getting this model and really liking it. It's something very different to fly and really fun. Not the raw power of an electric but it has plenty of pop and is actually quite fast.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What brand are the cf blades that come with the kit?

And what about governor, is there a governor option in the mini vbar?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The blades look like Sab blades, whether they are or not I'm not sure as they are labeled Gaui. I originaly bought the kit with the Gaui labelled Mini V-Bar but it's made by Mikado and re-labeled. The software that comes with it does not include a govenor. I upgraded to the pro-software because it included the governor function. After paying about $100 for the software upgrade I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't a nitro governor. That's dumb considering that this is a nitro heli, but oh well. After crashing the heli twice (was using two satellite recievers and a Dx7) because of vibrations (?) I switched to a Futaba 8FG and CGY750 (v. 1.31 software) and couldn't be happier. It (CGY750) includes an excellent governor with an rpm sensor that fits like it was made for this heli and is way better with the vibrations that come from a nitro heli. Most people using V-Bar use the full size. Also the brushless cyclic and tail servos that come with the combo kit are a lot more powerful and as fast (gs-303 104 oz./in and 0.13 sec @7.2v / gs-304 69.5 oz./in and 0.08 sec @7.2v) than any other servo that will fit. The only problem is that they only come with the earlier combo kits before they switched to the less powerful coreless servos. The brushless servos can only be bought separately through Gaui and overseas distributors and replacement gears are not available yet. But as I said I've crashed them twice and they still work great.
jclutch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the response. So it sounds like I'm better off getting just the airframe and adding the electronics I want.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I had it to do over again I'd get the Gaui Brushless servos, the flybarless unit of my choice (that has a governor and rpm sensor included), the Edge/Spin/Radix 423-435 main blades (the Gaui ones don't track well doing 3D, too flexible), the KBDD (get the right root size) or Gaui CF tailbldes, proper OS .37 engine (at first the Gaui engine was made by OS too but word on the street is that Gaui are going to make the Gaui engines themselves now) and the Hatori pipe (I like the sound better and the fact that they are made by a company that just makes pipes). Also order extra servo arm balls as you'll be one short for the throttle servo. If you can get the Gaui header tank so that you'll be able to mount it properly and get about 8:00min flight times (about 6:00 without it using a fuel magnet). Just to let you know there have been issues with ill fitting head blocks and tight tail sliders but Empire Hobby is great about issuing replacement parts. Just watch the Bobby Watts video and you be aware of all the issues and how to avoid them. And as far as electronics placement it's really tight under the canopy so use small components (receiver, flybarless unit, and battery). I love my NX4, it's my first nitro and flybarless heli and the best way to get into nitro. I've put 4 gallons of nitro (use 30% that's what the OS is shimmed for) through it this winter, nuff said?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's kinda what I was thinking -

Radix main and tail
OS .37
Hatori pipe
Align 2-1
Savox servos

Just can't decide what fbl system to use that has a good governor, sk540?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as which Flybarless system, do your research and go with what will suit your needs. Some need laptops or separate modules to set up and adjust. Some have built in nitro governors and come with rpm sensors while others are for use with external governors. Which one you choose will greatly affect how much you enjoy the heli as it will be the brain of the heli. Look through the different forums about the different controllers and make an educated decision. Pretty sure that there must be one for the skookum, I can't comment on it as I've never tried one. Maybe some one else who has will chime in. It's a great heli and hopefully you'll love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in