Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Definitely having a problem

I have my 3GX (TRex 250, top-down on gyro tray) adjusted so that it flies fairly decently. But only for 2-4 minutes.

After that, it seems to lose orientation, and takes off in one direction or another -- so far, mostly forward and right. This morning, after flying reasonably well for a little over three minutes, it pitched forward. After I recovered, I had to hold the elevator stick about halfway back until I got it landed.

After I landed, flipped on TH and centered the left stick, it looked like the swashplate was sure enough tilted forward a little. And though the controller seemed to move the swash to compensate when I tilted the heli toward the back, it did not seem to do so if I tilted it forward.

I unplugged the battery, power-cycled the TX, plugged it back in, and everything looked fine again. The TX is a DX8, but it doesn't show any signs of aileron/elevator instability, and it flies my other helis fine.

If anybody has a good idea, I'd like to hear it. At this point, "turn it back to a flybarred heli" is the only thing that's making a lot of sense to me.

--Al Evans
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didn't you already have a thread about this? What ESC/BEC are you using?
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure the swash & wash out arms move freely...no binding.
timmay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Didn't you already have a thread about this? What ESC/BEC are you using?
Is that a problem? I think I've started three threads. I've experienced this situation in three different contexts -- after I first set it up, after rebuilding the head/re-routing the wires, and setting it up once more REALLY carefully, and finally, after sending it off and getting it back with a new board.

The ESC is the standard Align ESC on a TRex 250. There's no indication that anything's drawing much power. Just for fun, I took off the blades, put the transmitter in TH, and zoomed it around like a little kid with a toy airplane for 5 minutes, imitating as much turbulence as I could while wiggling the sticks continuously with my other hand. Total power put back into the battery after this: 31 mAh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
Make sure the swash & wash out arms move freely...no binding.
Everything is free and there's no slop.

Although I seem to be the only person with this problem, I'm pretty sure (35 years as a software developer) that it shows a software bug. Maybe something specific to my setup -- 250, 3GX upside down on gyro tray. The thing is, it flies OK at first, then becomes unstable.

I just flew my other (flybarred) 250SE, and it flies like a charm. So I'm pretty sure it's not me or my transmitter.

--Al Evans
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

just a point of curiosity.........What is your cyclic comp set to?
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondabear View Post
just a point of curiosity.........What is your cyclic comp set to?

It seems to be set to 50 in all the example files I have available. The only reference I have says it's for pitch-up tendencies in FFF rolling maneuvers. Here, we're talking about gently swooping around in my back yard trying not to be taken by surprise...

--Al Evans
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Total gains? ail and elev?
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondabear View Post
Total gains? ail and elev?
I've attached the current settings.

--Al Evans
Attached Files
File Type: txt 110809_TR250_test.txt (114 Bytes, 242 views)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_evans View Post
I've attached the current settings.

--Al Evans
maybe try a 60 hiller, 45 bell

where are your POTS on the unit. (all your gains seem really low even compared to the "beginner").

for the attached settings my POTS are around the 10 o'clock position
Attached Files
File Type: txt 250_110724.txt (115 Bytes, 206 views)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneger21 View Post
maybe try a 60 hiller, 45 bell

where are your POTS on the unit. (all your gains seem really low even compared to the "beginner").

for the attached settings my POTS are around the 10 o'clock position
My POTS are at 12 o'clock. The "total gain compensate" for elev and ail have been adjusted, at least in theory, to take out the adjustments I made to them.

I note that your lock and stop gain adjustments are set way lower than mine, 30-40 as compared to 70. Can I ask what flight characteristics led you to lower them?

--Al Evans
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default And again

Last Thursday, I went through the whole setup again. Pulled all the plugs out and reinserted them to make sure everything was well-seated. Re-leveled the swash, checked the pitch, etc. Re-did the 3GX setup, set the params to something that should be mild -- starting with the 250 "easy" setup, lowered the aileron/elevator total gains to 50, upped the Hiller component to 60 and lowered the Bell to 45.

It flew unremarkably for about 45 seconds, then became uncontrollable. I fought it for a while, then hit TH and went into the grass from a couple feet up.

So that's after sending the 3GX in to Assurance RC. They tested it (on a 500) and found no problems, but replaced the board anyway. As far as I can tell, it still just crashes my heli.

As a software developer for over 30 years, I sense a bug. There's something about my setup that's exceeding some implicit expectation and making the thing go wonky. Whether it's something about being upside down and backwards, something about having an orange G10 frame, some kind of vibration that it's just not expecting, I have no idea. All I know is that the heli flies just fine with a flybar, and crashes consistently with the 3GX.

It's annoying that the parts for the FBL head cost substantially more than for the regular head, too -- blade grips 35% more, rotor housing almost 60% more.

I think I'm going to put the FB head back on and wait until there's some indication this problem is fixed. Unless I can talk myself into trying a BeastX.

I'm really disappointed, but I just can't seem to make this thing work.

--Al Evans
Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smart man

Quote:
Last Thursday, I went through the whole setup again. Pulled all the plugs out and reinserted them to make sure everything was well-seated. Re-leveled the swash, checked the pitch, etc. Re-did the 3GX setup, set the params to something that should be mild -- starting with the 250 "easy" setup, lowered the aileron/elevator total gains to 50, upped the Hiller component to 60 and lowered the Bell to 45.

It flew unremarkably for about 45 seconds, then became uncontrollable. I fought it for a while, then hit TH and went into the grass from a couple feet up.

So that's after sending the 3GX in to Assurance RC. They tested it (on a 500) and found no problems, but replaced the board anyway. As far as I can tell, it still just crashes my heli.

As a software developer for over 30 years, I sense a bug. There's something about my setup that's exceeding some implicit expectation and making the thing go wonky. Whether it's something about being upside down and backwards, something about having an orange G10 frame, some kind of vibration that it's just not expecting, I have no idea. All I know is that the heli flies just fine with a flybar, and crashes consistently with the 3GX.

It's annoying that the parts for the FBL head cost substantially more than for the regular head, too -- blade grips 35% more, rotor housing almost 60% more.

I think I'm going to put the FB head back on and wait until there's some indication this problem is fixed. Unless I can talk myself into trying a BeastX.

--Al Evans
browndog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

As a software developer for over 30 years, I sense a bug. There's something about my setup that's exceeding some implicit expectation and making the thing go wonky. Whether it's something about being upside down and backwards, something about having an orange G10 frame, somehow kind of vibration that it's just not expecting, I have no idea. All I know is that the heli flies just fine with a flybar, and crashes consistently with the 3GX.

--Al Evans
50% gains in the software, then where is it set on the unit?

Maybe you have a bug in the software? I am only seeing a beginner/normal/expert. Sorry had too...

I really do you hope figure it out. I was having a slight tail issue with my 250 3gx, but got it sorted. About 35-50 flights now with no issues...knock on wood
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneger21 View Post
50% gains in the software, then where is it set on the unit?

Maybe you have a bug in the software? I am only seeing a beginner/normal/expert. Sorry had too...

I really do you hope figure it out. I was having a slight tail issue with my 250 3gx, but got it sorted. About 35-50 flights now with no issues...knock on wood
Pots on the unit are centered. It's kind of irrelevant, though -- I haven't found ANY adjustment in the software or on the unit that causes the kind of radical behavior I'm seeing.

Beginner, easy, whatever.... What it actually seems to have loaded is the "Spanish Inquisition" settings.

I'm glad yours is working great. Mine will be, too, I bet, after I put a flybarred head back on it.

--Al Evans
Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is doing the exact same thing. I have it mounted the same way you do. The unit works flawlessly on my 600N pro. I have the "normal" 250 settings from the software loaded and the pots started at 12. It was too erratic to notice any changes from the pot settings. Ended up crashing. Downloaded a file from another thread containing some settings that worked for others and will test them once I get it repaired.

Several flights were fine. Tail wagged a little but the cyclic was holding fine. Changed tail blades and the tail wag went away and was locked in but then I could hardly hold it in a hover. It kept wanting to take off in random directions. It ended up rolling over from about 30 feet right into the ground. The best way to describe it was like trying to fly a flybarless heli with no cyclic gyro.

It does this ONLY on my 250.
Brad_B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
...Mine will be [working great], too, I bet, after I put a flybarred head back on it.
And I just tested it after putting a flybarred head back on. No other changes (except a setup, obviously). It flies fine, same as it did before the FBL experiment.

--Al Evans
Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beastx is the way to go as for 2 in one recievers. My beast x survived multiple crashes that were violent after about the 10th the gyro was thrown out of wack on my blade 450x and replaced it with the ar7300bx and its got my heli flying hard 3d with precision, if not look into the mikado Vbar system if you want to spend the money. after all the saying goes you get what you pay for.
xzantronos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The ESC is the standard Align ESC on a TRex 250. There's no indication that anything's drawing much power. Just for fun, I took off the blades, put the transmitter in TH, and zoomed it around like a little kid with a toy airplane for 5 minutes, imitating as much turbulence as I could while wiggling the sticks continuously with my other hand. Total power put back into the battery after this: 31 mAh.
Hey Buddy.

While this made me chuckle, visualising you running around the back garden model in hand, it's not going to test your ESC's BEC capability at all. Reason being there is no flight loads on the servos from the main blades, so there is no power required to move the blade grips. It is the sheer action of the servos having to hold pitch into the blades and then the FBL unit making it's corrections that is going to pull amps.

Most of what you're describing can be attributed to a poorly rated BEC and from memory the little 250's ESC isn't well known to have a great BEC and the 3GX is a power hungry FBL unit on firmware's above V3.

I've not seen any mention of what firmware you are/were using?

Another possible indication could come from if you are using Spektrum sats on DSM2, as any brownouts will be signalled by their LED's and indeed the 3GX will not initialise on next power up to alert the pilot to a potential problem.

Vibration to can also give you funny symptoms, I'm guessing the model has had the odd knock and so is there any excessive vibration which can be felt (or seen) on the airframe?
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in