Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Protos and vbar. Some settings and questions

I am new to the vBar AND the Protos 500. Ive been reading the sticky, watched the readyheli video, googled this and that, watched some of mr Mel's videos on it.

Using a 8FG tX.
Stock Scorp motor. ALign ds515m's on the head. Align ds520 on the tail.

I tried uploading OICU812's settings posted. Vbar said this file does not match. Using Full vbar w/ blue sensor mounted in the middle. FBL plate installed.

I was hoping someone could post their settings. Using 5.3 software and the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RotorFloater; 10-21-2013 at 01:12 AM..
RotorFloater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you should setup your Protos from start. It would be easy, just follow the wizard and all is done. Then go to the fly field and adjust some gain. This way can be suite with your flying style than using some one setup file, due to there is no helicopter have the same mechanic setup and electronics config!
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhuans View Post
I think you should setup your Protos from start. It would be easy, just follow the wizard and all is done. Then go to the fly field and adjust some gain. This way can be suite with your flying style than using some one setup file, due to there is no helicopter have the same mechanic setup and electronics config!
Will do....beginning to think this.is the only aproachable method.
Waiting for lipos in the mail. Want to use the gov in the vbar w/ my edge 75 lite but Ive always used the CC set rpm mode so, I guess for now I'll use that.

Some of Mr Mels videos are helpful, but I guess go fly and bring the netbook.

Should I have a different tail gain for each idle up position also?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Question Servo horn.

I got some seriously crappy servo horns...the elevator is flexing and bending when hitting its endpoint.
Im running Align DS515M's on the cyclic. What is a great servo horn for this?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFloater View Post
I got some seriously crappy servo horns...the elevator is flexing and bending when hitting its endpoint.
Quick UK metal horns are good.
Roger_Salmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFloater View Post
Typically they should not be bending, are you sure not over throwing? if just weak horns'
Typically stock Futaba horns fit Align servos. Running metal horns not as important on smaller machines, In crash better chance of taking out servo, IMO, I've crashed my p5 many times and never damaged gears on servo. Plastic horn always gave first. If you want metal get the Secraft horns that we are using on Goblins. They have a weak spot built in so they typically bend in crash and save servo
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickr1 View Post
Typically they should not be bending, are you sure not over throwing? if just weak horns'
Typically stock Futaba horns fit Align servos. Running metal horns not as important on smaller machines, In crash better chance of taking out servo, IMO, I've crashed my p5 many times and never damaged gears on servo. Plastic horn always gave first. If you want metal get the Secraft horns that we are using on Goblins. They have a weak spot built in so they typically bend in crash and save servo
Ed from our FB group told me about a setting in vBar that is called "cyclic ring" and I had to back the numbers down. The cyclic was maxing out and binding on ele and ail....all good now.

Maj's hobby shop had DU-BRO extra heavy duty horns which fit perfectly.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where should you mount the vbar on the Protos 500? I want to mount it in the bottom opening of the frame. However, this part of the frame is level with the ground and skids but the belt drive line is angled up slightly from the ground with the nose down and tail up a bit. This puts the main shaft at a slight angle to the bottom shelf of the frame and therefore the vbar will not be at 90 degrees to the main shaft. Will this be a problem? Seems like at neutral stick hover, the bird will want to drift forward because of the angle between the vbar and main shaft.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mount my mini vbar on the top of the boom mount behind the servos. If you want to mount it underneath you should use this bottom plate, it fixes the issues you were explaining.

http://www.experiencerc.com/store/ms...t)-p-9681.html

Mike
mike d1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I saw that 90 degree adapter plate you linked to but its for carbon frame only and I have the plastic. I could probably make my own angled mounting plate for the FBL, but I might just try it as is. In the Protos Plastic manual, it shows mounting the brain in the lower frame as is, so it will not be 90 degrees to the main shaft. Guess I will just try it like that and see what happens.

I just thought of something else too. When you balance the Protos, what should be level, the belt drive line or the skids. I usually run a string through the top hole in the main shaft, hold it up against a wall, and mark the skid line on the wall then put a level on it to see if its balanced and adjust battery accordingly. But now I am thinking I should mark the blades instead. I love how the slanted drive line gets the tail out of the grass and just looks good too. But it makes me unsure how to go about some of the setup like FBL mounting and balancing the bird.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

personally i wouldnt mount the FBL unit under the main shaft.... inverted crashes tend to destroy the FBL unit since the plastic breaks and lets the main shaft get shoved through the heli. i mounted mine on the tailboom where the gyro would have been. but to each their own.

As for what should be level, the rotor disk should be level it doesnt matter what the body or skids looks like remember its all hanging off the rotor and main shaft. mine balanced out perfect with a parallel mainshaft and level rotor, but the skids were not level, when setting on the skids the main shaft had a slight forward lean and during take off the tail settled down just a touch as it lifted of.
M&P_Hooligan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in