Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sparrow View Post
I see nightflyr has a new toy to play with. My regards to the master. My fleet are still grounded until we settled in after moving. This KDS looks promising.
It is handling my 600

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Flybarless?

just curious if any tried this on a flybarless setup?
thanks in advance..
HexxyLight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexxyLight View Post
just curious if any tried this on a flybarless setup?
thanks in advance..
KDS has no options for tuning FBL, it appears to be designed normal and 3D flight, and I won't risk my 600 to see if it can or can't work a FBL,

Besides If FBL is what your looking into the cost is almost the same and you'll get a system that is designed for that

Old 08-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are there any specs on the CCD sensor for this unit? I am curious if it will work in the IR range... if so, then it might be possible to wire up some high output IR LEDs on the bottom of the heli to help with lower light conditions. This system looks promising though.

Nightflyr, have you had a chance to try any bailout tests yet?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
KDS has no options for tuning FBL, it appears to be designed normal and 3D flight, and I won't risk my 600 to see if it can or can't work a FBL,

Besides If FBL is what your looking into the cost is almost the same and you'll get a system that is designed for that
Thanks Nightflyr!
I have 2 Trex600CF's, and one I have made into an AP ship, with the CPII for fight stabilization. The other 600 I'm in the process of stretching to a 700 and converting to a FBL, using a Mikado V Bar system and Mikado 700 head. I was hoping to use the KDS to flight stabilize it once it's all converted.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven42 View Post
Are there any specs on the CCD sensor for this unit? I am curious if it will work in the IR range... if so, then it might be possible to wire up some high output IR LEDs on the bottom of the heli to help with lower light conditions. This system looks promising though.

Nightflyr, have you had a chance to try any bailout tests yet?
No specs on the CCD that I've found but I have access to hi intensity LED spot lamps so that issue is mute for me if I decide to use it for evening flying.

Yes, going from off (full pilot control) and push her over then flip on the Horiziontal mode she snaps back to level flight but Still travels due to momentum in the direction it was heading, no sense to try bailout with position mode due to the fact it will take a few seconds for the camera to try and get a ground lock ( which it can't unless your less than 6 feet up and level in which case it will switch to Horizontal mode, but the time lag in seek and switch is something I don't care to wait for in an emergencey.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexxyLight View Post
Thanks Nightflyr!
I have 2 Trex600CF's, and one I have made into an AP ship, with the CPII for fight stabilization. The other 600 I'm in the process of stretching to a 700 and converting to a FBL, using a Mikado V Bar system and Mikado 700 head. I was hoping to use the KDS to flight stabilize it once it's all converted.
That setup should work well, be sure to get your FBL all dialed in B4 you hook in the KDS system

Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Okay! Thanks for the comformation
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

nightflyr
thanks for taking one for the team, I was about to pull the trigger on my second CPII system until I saw ur review...

Ive been wanting a cheap gyro based solution... HC still a bit rich for me since its going on a 450...

Nice to be able to try something else in the same price range.

Any videos?

Ive been using the CPII as my trainer into 3D...
Stealthlude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post
nightflyr
thanks for taking one for the team, I was about to pull the trigger on my second CPII system until I saw ur review...

Ive been wanting a cheap gyro based solution... HC still a bit rich for me since its going on a 450...

Nice to be able to try something else in the same price range.

Any videos?

Ive been using the CPII as my trainer into 3D...
For the cost, you'll be pleased with the performance od the KDS, sorry no videos as of yet a little tough to get the heli dialed in and try to tape it at the same time. But hopefully with in the next week or so, time permitting I get to shoot a video. Working 7 days a week leaves little spare time for testing.

nightflyr

Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My T-Rex 500 ESP will arrive in a couple of days. I also have a Blade 400 beater. Would the Flymentor work in the Blade with a 6100 Rx and Dx6i? Thanks.
airnoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by airnoob View Post
My T-Rex 500 ESP will arrive in a couple of days. I also have a Blade 400 beater. Would the Flymentor work in the Blade with a 6100 Rx and Dx6i? Thanks.
Its possible, need to do a little fancy rewiring to get it all to operate on a 6 channel receiver. But it may be possible.

I fly with no less than 7 channels and most of my heli's are on 10 channels

Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

whoops... glad I didnt order it just yet....

I only have a DX6i and a couple 6 channel receivers....

I assume for this system to really work well, I would need to upgrade to a DX7 and 7 channel receivers?

Even on my CPII I have to set the gain from the FMA unit, since I only have 6 channels to work with.
Stealthlude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did all my original testing with a 6100 rx. No problems at all to use the mentor like this. It just means you need to make the decision if you want remote gain on the gyro or the Mentor. I opted to use the gear channel to switch between position mode and Balance mode. The internal gyro defaults to heading hold mode and you just set the gyro up in the software only. Typically once a gyro is set, you dont need to keep going back to it. However is is very useful to switch between stability modes though.

I even use a few mixers to switch between Mentor off, position mode, and balance mode.

In my setup with a 2 position switch, the 2 position switch turns the Mentor on and off, however the 3 position flight mode switch asigns if it is in position mode or balaance mode.

When the mentor is switched on via the 2 position switch, normal flight mode=position mode
When the mentor is switched on via the 2 position switch, flight mode 1 and 2=balance mode

You need 3 mixers to do this though but its not difficult to do. (I uses a DX7)

Current fleet:
Fusion 50, MSH Protos, 90 Size Electric scale Longranger, Beam 450, Trex250, Blade MCPX.
Kepler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post
whoops... glad I didnt order it just yet....

I only have a DX6i and a couple 6 channel receivers....

I assume for this system to really work well, I would need to upgrade to a DX7 and 7 channel receivers?

Even on my CPII I have to set the gain from the FMA unit, since I only have 6 channels to work with.
If you plan on getting into these gyro based systems a 7 channel system is the minimum to start with, working with a 6 channel requires some fancy rewiring and even then might not be enough to get you there.

nightflyr

Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, but I'm still not clear. I'm hearing the 6100 Rx will work. Does "fancy rewiring" mean cutting wires?

I'm trying to avoid getting a Dx7 and am not hearing "the Dx6i will not work."
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm still not clear. I'm hearing the 6100 Rx will work. Does "fancy rewiring" mean cutting wires?

I'm trying to avoid getting a Dx7 and am not hearing "the Dx6i will not work."
When said "rewire" I meant mixing the TX sorry, I sometime I phrase "rewired" to mixing do that and it confuses people.

nightflyr

Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the clarification here is that if you uses the onboard gyro, then you can use a 6 channel receiver and setup the gyro gain in the software. However if you decide to use an external gyro, you would need 7 channels to operate the gain on the external tail gyro. That being said, I am not sure what typically happens to a normal tail gyro if you dont connect the remote gain. If the remote gyro has a gain pot on the actual unit you still may be able to use an external tail gyro with 6 channels however I cant confirm this.

I can confirm that you can use the internal tail gyro quite sucsessfully with 6 channels though.

Current fleet:
Fusion 50, MSH Protos, 90 Size Electric scale Longranger, Beam 450, Trex250, Blade MCPX.
Kepler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday, I discovered this thread, learned about Flymentor and now want one.

I will need to start growing my food soon to pay for all this.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yesterday, I discovered this thread, learned about Flymentor and now want one.

I will need to start growing my food soon to pay for all this.
Another innocent falls victim to the dreaded Heli Addiction........ Is the no end to this MADNESS!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in