Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Savox servos any good?

Looks like I will be getting an Xx in the next couple of days, so have to decide on servos.

I have always used Futaba and been happy with them, and was going to go for BLS157 and 256. But I did a little research and the Savox servos look really good on paper, particularly on the tail.

I have attached a small spreadsheet comparing a few servos published specs. But as we all know manufacturer's specs aren't everything.

Has anybody used the Savox servos (I guess 2271 for cyclic) - are they any good or should I just stick with Futaba?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xxtreme servos.pdf (14.2 KB, 319 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They're good, they make servos for align. No need to worry about quality. They are among the best like JR, Futaba, ect.
infamousnation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks. I thought I had read that the Align 650 doesn't work well with VBar - I wonder if that translates into their other sevos too?

Other thing I had heard was that the Align 610's are OK, but are current hogs.

Any idea if those two things I have read are true and applies to their Savox HV servos?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know too much about them. I know I have some savox servos on my protos and they are nice. Hopefully someone else knows more than I do.
infamousnation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im going for the 1268 savox on the swash.. HV, but not BL, but LOADS more torque than the HV BLS savoxxes..
Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kyle is currently beating-up a set of 2271 and 2272 Savox servos on a prototype heli, in order to establish an experience base with the product. So far, 125 or so flights with them, being pushed hard, and no problems up to this point.

We have for years used exclusively JR servos (and can fully recommend their performance is outstanding), so why the experiment? The truth is, Kyle is not radio sponsored (that's by design), and we can get the servos at a really good price through Mikado. So we thought we'd give them a shot with this prototype heli, to see what would happen.

It's nice not to have to run a voltage regulator for the tail servo, and the speed and power of the servos on HV are awesome.

But can I fully recommend them? Not yet, after only a 100+ flights. All I can say is they are currently performing great. After we get 1000 flights of aggressive 3D on a set (never had a JR servo go less than 1200 flights before a failure), and if the Savox's are still going strong, THEN we'll recommend them (-:

(-: Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Dave.

125 of Kyle's flights = about 12,500 of my flights so that's looking pretty good so far.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do note, it has been found that Savox HV servos are current-monsters, meaning you have to make sure your powersupply system is really up for the task.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

you got a picture of those servos dave ?
DannyvG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamgils View Post
you got a picture of those servos dave ?
Better yet a pic. of the heli with those servos .

Prototype heli with Savox servos =

epc2.
epc2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

now he certainly wont fall for it.
DannyvG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

(-: Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's very difficult to work out any empirical data about amp or watt draw from servos - MrMel do you think the Western Robotics SuperBEC (10A continuous, 15A peaks) would be sufficient?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It looks like a mounting kit is required for the Savox servos. Is that correct? Ready Heli doesn't seem to have this part.

I'm sure I haven't checked everywhere, but it looks like the popular Futaba rudder server, BLS256HV, is not in stock.
flymustangs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, a special mounting kit is required for the Savox. rcflightstore.com is getting those tomorrow with a delivery of parts, so it sounds like they will be available through others too.

The BLS 256 does seem hard to find too.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I thought I would check the pulse width and frequency of the Savox 2272 tail servo just to make sure it's up there with the best of them. I can't find anything online saying what those specs are. So I went into the VBar software to see what it groups the Savox servos with. It just has 'Savox' (doesn't specify which models) alongside the 9254, 9257 and JR 8900. So I found specs on those, thinking they would all have to be the same. But this page http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/servodb/servo.php shows the JR being different to the two Futabas, both in pulse width and in frequency. I had thought VBar would group these by matching specs in this area.

So I have two questions:
1. Does any of this stuff really matter? Is this all too much information and should I just go fly?
2. If it does matter, then does anybody know the specs for this servo?

Thanks.
Ant
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, I just found this info which indicates 1500us and 250hz http://savox.de/produkte/servos/hoch...?category_id=5

Is that OK (I know there's plenty of 760us and 500hz servos out there) or does it not make any difference?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I planned on a jr hv servo for that kit.
There tried and true. There are several great choices for servo's out there.
Once i wear out the tried and true servo's of today , there will be more tried and true choices out there tommorow.

Were all thankfull for guys like dave and kyle that put a servo through the paces and give it a true test.

I had my name on that kit I wish i had the cash to buy now and sell my other heli's later but this time i need to actually sell some .. lol

I'm trying to sell off a few heli's right now to pay for an XXtreme. As of today none have moved

Ken called and asked if he could put my name on the next kit , will give me a a bit more time to sell some machines.

Enjoy the XXtreme

come on up to the kelowna heli flying event this late summer , there are several heli nuts that would love to drool over that heli.

martin
Logo 600 8917/ 9188 4035-500 VBC NEO
rcmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep I was kind of surprised to get it so quick - I thought this one was going to you. I thought I would have a few weeks to wait so that would give me a chance to see what people are setting them up with, but now I have a rush as I'm probably picking up the kit tomorrow. I'm in the same boat as you, I only decided to get the heli last Friday, had to list my 600se for sale Friday night and sold it Saturday. I really liked that heli so was sad to see it go, but the wife says I have to sell off some of my stuff to pay for the XXtreme...

I'll try to make Kelowna in the summer, might be a nice weekend away. Might see you at Chilliwack again too?

Good point about tried and true, although I've got to say that the Savox specs look attractive on paper. My flying is not good enough to need high performance, but I think with my lesser skills, it's even more important to have a tail which holds rock solid as I'm not as quick to correct a sudden blowout as a better pilot would be, and I'm liking the look of that torque and speed. But you know torque and speed is kind of like saying a car has this many horsepower and can rev to this many rpm - all good info but it doesn't mean the car with the most hp and highest rpm is going to be the best and fastest car around a race track.

Cheers,
Ant
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ken wasn't expecting another kit quite so soon. He's expecting another one in a few weeks. Weather just starting to shape up around here so i got a few weeks to play with.

I have a nice 600se up for sale also , any second in line guys wanting an se ?

Martin
Logo 600 8917/ 9188 4035-500 VBC NEO
rcmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in