Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Gyro

My friend has a B400 that supposedly comes with the same gyro. He replaced the gyro and says that it holds much better than before.

I was wondering what is the best tail gyros to look at for this heli? What factors should I consider when selecting a new gyro.

I've only been practicing hovering, but today my tail motor died. I've probably gone through like 10 battery packs or little more. I'm thinking that the helicopter would be a lot easier to fly with a more solid tail. So I was wanting to replace the gyro and also maybe order the tail conversion kit to make it belt driven. I was hoping that with the new gyro and conversion that I wouldn't have to work to keep the tail straight nearly as much.
AlanSR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dunno what your total heli experience or specifically SR experience may be, but may I suggest something... First need to know if you're running with stock Tx or programmable. In either of those two cases, need to know also if you have gyro lead plugged into Rx. Then need to know if you have set proportional on 2-in-1 up properly without any input from gyro. If you have the proportional set up just right and the gyro sensitivity (different ways to set depending on if gyro lead plugged in and what Tx you're using) is not too high, you should have very little tail wag. I have barely any and tail seems to hold quite well. I'm still fiddling with some settings right now but overall I have it dialed in pretty close to spot on. I don't think you're gonna get a real huge improvement on tail hold with another gyro unless you spend more money than this heli is really worth. If you take a bit of time, you can get it set up pretty well IMHO.
DKS_ONE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSR View Post
My friend has a B400 that supposedly comes with the same gyro. He replaced the gyro and says that it holds much better than before.

I was wondering what is the best tail gyros to look at for this heli? What factors should I consider when selecting a new gyro.

I've only been practicing hovering, but today my tail motor died. I've probably gone through like 10 battery packs or little more. I'm thinking that the helicopter would be a lot easier to fly with a more solid tail. So I was wanting to replace the gyro and also maybe order the tail conversion kit to make it belt driven. I was hoping that with the new gyro and conversion that I wouldn't have to work to keep the tail straight nearly as much.
Honestly, I don't think I would pour any more money into the SR. When you start adding up the gyro, tail belt conversion, you've got a lot more money in it than it's worth. I would just stick with the stock SR, and start saving up for a better heli. Just my .02.
Trex 500 ESP
nuke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nuke is right. I have flown all of th ecp's and SR's and well as the 400 using 6 different gyro's. The current SR, motor, tail and gyro, holds better than a stock 400 and better than any cp. I can do most of the 3D moves with an almost stock SR. If you ever read any of my posts on the CCP2, that uses the same gyro, you know I was no fan of the stock gyro. But in an SR it seems to work well.
Having said that, there is a reason you might want to get a better gyro. And that is because you might want to go brushless on the tail or you want to use the gyro on another heli as you get better. So which gyro?? Most of the guys that go brushless go with the futaba 401 because it has an adjustable delay knob on it which works very well for the brushless. The 401 is an older gyro, it is heavy and it is around 150.00. I took the gyro on one of my cp's that was a 401 and put it on my 600.... it flies great. But if you are not going to get into bigger heli's, follow Nukes advice. There are also better gyro's for the bigger heli's now than the 401....but the 401 is still the best choice for a serious 3D brushless tailed SR....J
John Shipley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah... I finally got around to plugging in the Gyro control into channel 5.. and got it working SO much better. This should be the FIRST thing that everyone does when they get their SR. Tail has been setup to work so much better.

I have the proportional set to like 4 o'clock but I may need to set it more like 3.. and then I have the gyro at like 20% HH. (it's around 2 o'clock, or 70% out of 100% on the dial, I believe 50% is zero).
AlanSR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup, that'll about do it. As long as it's reacting as you feel comfortable, you're in good shape. Huge difference when you plug it in right? So much easier! You have the idea with the percentages, 50% is off. 1%-49% is rate mode with 1% being the highest setting and 51%-100% is HH mode with 100% being the highest. +1 To J, I never thought you might consider a gyro you can use now and then again later on a newer heli and it's totally cool to do that too. But if you're sticking with the SR and are looking strictly to get it going, then you should be ok as you are now.
DKS_ONE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in