Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default The end of 14MZ Supremacy near?

While Futaba is dragging their behind trying to come up with 2.4Ghz solution for the 14MZ, it looks like another competition has popped up creating what looks to be a serious contender for the 14MZ. I don't want to piss off anybody by posting a link, but go to that universe site and search for "Nomadio FULL Range".

Mind you, it's not just about 2.4Ghz DSS anymore. It's a brand new radio with features that would blow 12/14MZ away. We're talking about telemetry that lets you see voltage/amp/speed/RPM/temp/gps/etc on your radio screen, 100Hz framerate that's twice as fast as PCM2048 or Spektrum's whatever they call it. And some neat feature like vibrating alert, USB interface that actually works, and association of mp3/wav files to timer so it's not just another ipod wannabe.

Guess what, the target price of this thing is $900.

Sounds like a far fetched vaporware? They already have all the technology in their military applications deployed in Iraq, and also in the SENSOR RC car system. And supposedly Futaba even license their 2.4Ghz technology for their FAST RC car module.

Why do I sound pissed? Futaba has been keeping their users in the dark about 2.4Ghz developments, which made me wonder if my 14MZ investment was worth the premium they asked for. And when I mentioned this upcoming Nomadio radio on 14mz.com's forum, the posts were quickly removed. SENSORSHIP on FUTABA FORUM?! Is Mark Ryder running that forum as well?

I would hate to see the value of our beloved radio plummit. But it looks to be heading that way soon.
steph280 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I saw that too a couple of days ago... but they are just starting development on it, so it could be a while before we see that "high end" transmitter for sale for only $900...

I also do hope that Futaba makes a 2,4ghz 14MZ conversion possible ASAP!!!

It would be even better if it were to stay backwards compatible with everything, but that would be damn near impossible...

Cheers,

Richard
Raptor Rulezzz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Well keep your eye out for the XPS/XL solution due out in Feb/Mar (although it has already been delayed since Oct). They have a 14mz 2.4GHz module and their own 6/8/10/16ch Rx and a separate telemetry display that you mount on your Tx. That way you can keep your favourite Tx and get the benefits of 2.4GHz spread spectrum too.

The Nomadio guys are promising a *lot* but it is way too early to tell if they can deliver, or when. They do have proven 2.4GHz R/C technology and have designed Tx before, but they've taken a big bite this time and time will tell how well they can chew.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The XPS 14MZ/12Z module will plug into the trainer port. There is a short servo type cable on it. You will then attache the module someplace else with Velcro or similar. So it will not fit in the current location, but rather hang off the back by a cable.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic....hlight=nomadio

More info here.
IRCHA #2557
AMA #814140
Bayou Talker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am willing to BET you that Futaba will not make 2.4G for the 14mz but in fact will probably release another radio for 2.4g... I have some info from people that understand how the RF pack works that it may be impossible to just come out with a 2.4G module for the 14mz and that it would require the radio to be sent in...
Maybe they were wrong but I have a bad feeling that it is true!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't do it often, but I think differently than Bob on this one. I believe that they will have a module for the 12 and 14, but it may require to be sent in. I'm not sure on the HAM band conversion, but I think the level of effort involved in changing over a 12 or 14 to HAM would be the same for 2.4.

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Swapping bands is easy. It just requires swapping modules. I have swapped from 50 mhz to 72 mhz and vice versa. No problems, just took turning radio off and on a couple of times.
I know other pilots that have swapped from 72 mhz to 35 mhz , 40 mhz, 29 mhz. All just the change of a module.
When Futaba makes a 2.4 module for the 12/14. I am fairly sure it will be as simple as changing a module.

Futaba has 2.4 ghz radio that is going to be released in the near future.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hmm, notice he said "radio" not "module", one to Bob :wink: If that does happen I bet it will be 7C-class radio not 12/14mz, just my guess, I have no info to back it up.

David - I am not suggesting anything evil, but I am curious what your relationship is with Futaba that you can state this so absolutely ?
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I am a Futaba Team Pilot.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Ahhh, thank you.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayK
I don't do it often, but I think differently than Bob on this one. I believe that they will have a module for the 12 and 14, but it may require to be sent in. I'm not sure on the HAM band conversion, but I think the level of effort involved in changing over a 12 or 14 to HAM would be the same for 2.4.
To go from 72 to 50 MHz on the 14MZ and 12Z simply requires placing the module in the TX and responding to a question asking if you want to change bands at start up. No need to send anything in. Easy as pie.

Anyone notice this. The 14 is a 14 M Z. M as in megahertz.

I wonder if we will see a 14 G Z with G as in Gigahertz!?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wasn't sure if you had to send it in for the HAM stuff, but David answered that question. I might be stretching, but I don't see Futaba leaving their flagship radio out in the cold with respects to a module for this particular function.

Every business unit plans this out and R/D's it plenty enough for me to feel confident, especially with a company like Futaba.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well I for one would be very happy if Futaba does in fact come out with a 2.4 module for the 14mz.... But I do agree with one comment I heard... Selling JUST modules is not a big money maker.... Selling radio systems is. I just have a worry (or sneaky suspision) that it will be a new radio not a module.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am sure they will put out a new radio for park flyers, no disagreement there.

Why would they leave their flagship out in the cold after all their R and D on it and the long release time? My bet is they will release a small 6-8 channel park flyer to be put on the shelves with the 6 series, 7c and maybe the 9c. It would give the crystal versions of their radios a counterpart. From a marketing standpoint, it would not be intended to compete with the 9 super, 9z, 12 or 14. There are just so many more functions to those radios. They clearly are the top of their product line.

Why would they ramp up marketing for the 14 and the 12 only to undercut their sales by putting out a SS radio system to compete at that level? It costs a lot to put out a radio to only phase it out after a couple years. How long has the 12 and 14 been out?? It's just not good marketing sense to release a flagship or premier series of a product only to release something to replace it or compete heavily with it after only a couple of years.

Why wouldn't they release a module and a software update to bring their flagship into line with the technology? It doesn't make good marketing sense to have a flagship model and then outdate and undercut all the level of effort to bring it to the world market by releasing something that would compete directly with it. A park flier radio does not compete with the 14 or 12. It would seem more logical that they would release a module to update the 12 and 14 and perhaps the 9z and super.

They will release a SS radio, David already said so. In addition to that, I would expect to see a module for the 12 and 14. Pilots would rather have a Futaba SS module than a XPS, price not being a factor. Why buy aftermarket when the manufacturer knows all the tech docs on the product and puts out their own version? It's only logical that Futaba will release a module.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Your logic and theirs may not be the same! The already have your $2k and don't care too much about making you angry with their next release. They never promised you a 2.4 upgrade path.

The profits on high end radios are huge, by bringing out a dedicated 2.4GHz version they get to churn the market and:

- partition the market between FM and 2.4, retaining the flagship in the FM portion

- compete at the top end of the 2.4 market by offering a dedicated flagship product on a known platform

- sell a 2nd unit to some existing customers that cannot bear to give up on the features but want/need the security of 2.4

They don't have to develop a new radio, just a modified case maybe, the internal platform can still be 12z/14z but the customer has to choose between non-modular 2.4 and modular-FM. So they don't lose their sunk R&D investment, in fact they get to re-use it and extend the payback with the small incremental investment to deliver the dedicated 2.4 version. It is simlar to the relationship between 7202 and DX7 where you get to choose between fixed-band synth FM or 2.4.

So I think that if they ever do anything for the 12z/14z there is a reasonable commercial/marketing argument for it to be a dedicated Tx rather than a module.

Fun predicting the future in a vacuum of information, isn't it :wink:
Old 01-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That theory may work for dedicated Futaba people.
I can see hanging the current 12/14 owners out to dry as the best thing that could possibly ever happen to JR.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

What's the range of the 2.4Ghz system - less then the current FM freq atm??

I know that the jet/turbine guys here in the UK won't use the Specktrum radios because of lack of range

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The DX6+AR6000 was tested by users to over 5000ft on the ground (one guy in a car with GPS).

The DX7 has been tested by users to extreme range. One recent test took the Rx up in a full scale fixed wing with GPS waypoints. Range with the AR6100 "ParkFlyer" DSM2 Rx was over 5000ft (1.2miles IIRC). Range with the AR7000 "full range" Rx was over 10000ft (2.8 miles IIRC).

Range is NOT a problem and if that is the only issue then the jet/turbine guys are putting their plans at more risk of shoot down/lock outs with their FM radios than they would be with Spektrum.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

That's an interesting data point Mongo. It seems though that many people have indeed had problems, one of the worst of which is shoot-downs. No matter how good your RF link on FM, if someone else comes along on your channel you are in big trouble. The 2.4 solutions are effectively immunes to the Rx decoding the signal from someone elses Tx so that they take over control of your plane and two to three orders of magnitude more resistant a lockout due to noise on the channel.

BTW, I saw a report from one gentleman who successfully used a DX6+AR6000 at 13 miles separation between two mountain tops, the key in that case of course being unobstructed line-of-sight in a remote location which we can presume therefore made for a very low-noise environment.

However I believe that 99.99% of modellers don't need more than 5000ft with maybe another few thousand "oops" room for the jet folk, although how they could possibly see a fast moving model jet at 3000+ feet well enough to fly it is quite beyond me, and I have excellent vision! Hence I say there is no range problem with Spektrum radios, especially when used as per the mfr's guidelines and it is inherent in the nature of spread spectrum technology that they provide a substantially safer RF link than is possible with any variant of FM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in