Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Inverted Elevator corrections often wrong

So Im still finding that my initial elevator correction is in the wrong direction. I'm starting to worry that this is becoming a habit. Is this just a natural phase of progression or should I take some remedial measures and if so what?
Himilou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are learning. It's normal.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Inverted Elevator corrections often wrong

Crashed my times on my 130 cause of that.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What worked for me with elevator was when inverted to focus on the tail instead of the nose.

So basically, when upright, the elevator controls the nose (forward is down, back is up), when inverted the elevator controls the tail(forward is down, back is up).

Elevator was the hardest to master inverted, followed by rudder
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himilou View Post
So Im still finding that my initial elevator correction is in the wrong direction. I'm starting to worry that this is becoming a habit. Is this just a natural phase of progression or should I take some remedial measures and if so what?
This is normal.

The tighter the area you hover/fly in, the more disastrous the consequence. Out in the field, you have time to correct (as long as there is height).

To work on correcting this, use smaller flying spaces in the sim. If there is a more immediate "punishment" for the incorrect action, it is adjusted quicker by the brain (as to avoid punishment). Can be a simple as a sim-crash or a reset. Just "intellectual" punishment. This is how the brain works. Reward the positive (do more, embed the neural path), punish the negative (do less, neural path atrophies).

Once the pattern of micro-reward/punishment is set, practice more in these situations in short intervals (the brain needs time to process the results, so this is why interval training, maximum 15 minutes on, minimum 15 minutes off).

I still do make occasional wrong corrections. But I catch them quick enough to not concern me at my current level of flying. I'm still a novice (I allow myself errors at this level, but I take note and try do it less). If I was working toward high level competition, I would definitely make the "punishment" or mistakes more severe in my training. (Mind you, I have a slightly obsessive personality that drives me harder than a lot in the general populous).

From personal experience, what you will NOT accept drives your progress far more than anything else. If mistakes bother you enough, you learn to not make them.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
(Mind you, I have a slightly obsessive personality that drives me harder than a lot in the general populous).

Really??

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Buddy i feel with you.
Obsession is part of my personality also.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Mind you, I have a slightly obsessive personality that drives me harder than a lot in the general populous
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRabit View Post
Buddy i feel with you.
Obsession is part of my personality also.
I think it's a trait that is favourable to our hobby. Just managed to avoid the compulsive part so it's probably not a disorder (can function in normal society). Just makes me super critical of my own abilities (and a little meticulous about understanding why things work).

Most just don't "get it".

Now I feel I've found a community that generally does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in