Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENOTT77 View Post
Is the setup the same on the talon as it is on the edge. Do you use laptop for setup on the talon? Internal governor setup the same as edge? Are these worth a shit?
Yes, setup procedure is the same. Gov setup is also the same.

There are differenses as well:
- no logging (don't know how important for you it is)
- BEC voltage have only 2 values 6v or 8v (EDGE HV ESCs doesn't have any BEC, but non-HV versions have many options from 5,0v to 8,4v)
- EDGE also has AUX wire (RPM out/Arming Lock)

Is it worth buying? - I don't know, I would lke to get some statistics from the fields around the world first. I never had a single trouble with any of my Castle ESCs or BECs, but I am not a hard 3D pilot in any case. Lots of Castle's products used to be in my hands during four years, here are some that I can remember:
Phoenix Ice 50 / Ice 50 lite
Phoenix Ice 75
Phoenix Ice2HV 80 (4 units)
Phoenix Ice2HV 120 (2 units)
talon 90 (4 units)
Phoenix Edge 100
Edge 120HV
BEC PRO (2 units one of which was working at 12S more than a year and a half)

Seems like a I am quite a fan of Castle!

But Talon 120HV is a new device supposed to be used on big and I guess rather expensive heli and knowing that motor power and BEC is in one unit - doesn't provide a peace of mind to me. At least for now. If something goes wrong, let's say with motor part, then I could auto it down, hopefully safe, but if it will be BEC failure... I don't want to think about it.

I am planning to use Talon 120HV in my Goblin 570/12S. I will start from 6S and if it is safe I might try it with 12S.
STAZZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TALON 120 hv report ...

Hello there I am using the talon 120hv with my thinder tiger e700 and it runs really nice and stays really cool with the all metal case on it. I am running set rpm mode at 1750 , 1800, and 2050 and it is sweet and looks really cool too. I am also using a opti fuel back up guard just in case something happens.. 30 flights in now and zero issues
josh6869 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew all of the beta versions of the Talon 120 HV... I have been flying the production unit for about a week now and I am looking forward to many more flights this week... I am headed to the district 5 AMA air fest . I also plan to try the external gov mode just to get pics of the hobby wing sensor installed on the motor wires... I use the EDGE with external RPM wire on a couple Helis ... I have been very happy with the internal castle gov... But I want to try the external gov on this ESC also.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

The internal gov is brilliant Clint, for smack flying it holds HS just fine. Its do good I wont waste my time with external govs for now.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any reported issues with the talon 120? I'm about to buy one.
Blade 130X - Lynx EOX / Blade 300x - AR7200BX, 2213-3585 / Trex 500ESP DFC - AR7200BX, 500MX / Trex 550e DFC - AR7200BX, 600MX / TSA 600e Pro - AR7200BX, 700MX / TBS Discovery FPV - APM, Sunnysky 980kv/ DX8
jabu32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabu32 View Post
Any reported issues with the talon 120? I'm about to buy one.
I have one in G570 12S and just love it. Have ordered another one for 700DFC-HV.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hooked it up on a new Logo 690sx build and the swash plate started jumping around erratically. Everything works great on a rx battery. I noticed that it doesn't have an opto isolation ring? Could that be the problem? This thing is so heavy that it's not worth it without the bec.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
foolforspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 03:11 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolforspeed View Post
I hooked it up on a new Logo 690sx build and the swash plate started jumping around erratically. Everything works great on a rx battery.
What servos do you have? HV? Are you using VBar?

The reason for asking is that I have one Talon120HV installed in G570 with non-HV servos (DS615/DS655) and everything works fine and I like the idea of getting rid of separate power source to electronics.

So, yesterday I have received another Talon120HV for my T-Rex700E-DFC-PRO-HV - it has HV servos (BL700H/BL750H). And with BEC in Talon set at 6v - everythins is ok, but when I set 8v in BEC all the servos start acting by their own throwing itself everywhere erratically. Previously I had Edge120HV + 2S LiPo straight into VBar and everithing worked perfectly.

I have send a question to Castle support, waiting for their answer.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Vbar with JR 8917 hv and a Torq 9188hv. Same thing, It worked ok on 6v and when I switched it to 8v it went crazy. I tested the lead and it shows 8v. This thing is way too heavy to just use it without the BEC so I took it off. Let me know what Castle says.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 01-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Let me know what Castle says.
I will!

Another thing that bothers me is F-big and bright spark it gives when I connect my batteries. I use XT150 connectors and it looks partly corroded into black after 3-5 times. I have to make anti-spark wire.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAZZ View Post
I will!
Maybe not... 5 days - no any message from Castle. Yesterday I have repeated my mail to them. Hope that they are testing Talon120HV with various HV servos right now, I don't know.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Maybe not... 5 days - no any message from Castle. Yesterday I have repeated my mail to them. Hope that they are testing Talon120HV with various HV servos right now, I don't know.
Looks like I'm going to go with the edge hv.
Blade 130X - Lynx EOX / Blade 300x - AR7200BX, 2213-3585 / Trex 500ESP DFC - AR7200BX, 500MX / Trex 550e DFC - AR7200BX, 600MX / TSA 600e Pro - AR7200BX, 700MX / TBS Discovery FPV - APM, Sunnysky 980kv/ DX8
Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yesterday was a holiday here, if you didn't know, Castle was likely closed for a 3day weekend...hopefully you'll hear something soon.
Retired2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie View Post
Yesterday was a holiday here, if you didn't know, Castle was likely closed for a 3day weekend...hopefully you'll hear something soon.
Thanks, this explains a lot. I was always happy with Castle's support from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabu32 View Post
Looks like I'm going to go with the edge hv.
I had Edge120HV before, but just wanted to get rid of separate 2S LiPo.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the answer from Castle two days ago...

First they asked me to try to disconnect servos from FBL and then start connecting them one by one and see what happens. So I removed the tail servo from VBar mini for the beginning and everything was working fine. Then when I connected tail servo back after 2-3 seconds of collective I could notice that one swash servo was moving slower that two others. The swash was always tilted to one or another side depending of where may collective stick was. At the same time time I was looking into VStabi programm and lowest voltage measured was 6.76v - that's pretty much from 8.0v.

Then their rep supposed, that I have used only throttle cable (master) to feed my VBar and servos. But I used both cables (master and slave). So I reported back and now waiting for their comment.

Can anyone repeat my procedures discribed above? Is it just my unit/setup or all of them? I like Castle products and hope that we will find a solution.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took mine off. I was afraid that it would fry all my electronics. I decided to go with a RX battery and the CC120 is too heavy to use. It's the heaviest ESC by far that I have ever used but I wouldn't mind if the bec worked.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I took mine off. I was afraid that it would fry all my electronics. I decided to go with a RX battery and the CC120 is too heavy to use. It's the heaviest ESC by far that I have ever used but I wouldn't mind if the bec worked.
you took off the talon?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I did. I'm thinking about trading it for an Edge 120hv. Then I can use the vbar gov.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Final answer that I got from Castle was that most likely my servos are pulling too much current at 8.0v than Talon120HV's BEC can deliver. It is rated as 10A cont/20A peak! And they advised me to use separate 2S LiPo to feed them! Can you imagine? I went from Edge120 + 2S LiPo to Talon120HV just to get rid of separate Rx battery and they advised me to go back and use Rx battery, but Talon has more weight than Edge120HV, has no logging and no rpm wire. How can factory representative advise such things after I explained why I bought Talon120HV? I am disapointed, but lesson learned: Talon120HV as it comes - is not up to the task at 12S when set to 8.0v, at least with Align BL700H/BL750H.

I have done some tests (on the bench and it the air) and can tell, that the unit is good and comfortable to use when:
- used in 12S setup with bec set at 6.0v
- used in 6S setup with bec set at 8.0v
- used in 12S setup with bec set at 8.0v + capacitor in parallel with slave wire using y-splitter

So, I have my case/problem fixed and can be happy!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So what I am understanding is as the input voltage goes up 12s from 6s for example the bec output goes down . Lets say on 6s it can supply 10amp continuous but on 12s the bec output may become 6 amp continuous . This is how the bec pro is and that is why it is best to only wire it in to one pack on a 12s setup. Not sure what the fix would be due to the fact that it is built in.

BEC Pro V3
Power Specs:
- Max Input: 12S LiPo (50.4V)
- Adjustable Output Voltage: 4.8V-12.5V
- Max Output Current: 20 Amps peak
- Max Continuous Current:
-- @ 16V Input = 15A Continuous
-- @ 24V Input = 13A Continuous
-- @ 32V Input = 11A Continuous
-- @ 40V Input = 9A Continuous
-- @ 48V Input = 8A Continuous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in