Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Talon 90... Super soft tones... motor doesn't run

'evening gents.

Goblin 500, Talon 90, Quantum motor, Hobbywing RPM sensor, MSH Brain FBL system.

Been flying this for a year using the Castle Governor. Just recently installed the hobbywing rpm sensor and started using the MSH Brain governor. Have probably 10 flights in that config.

Today, I decided to start using the Auto Rotation bailout mode of the Brain. Set the Talon to "multirotor" mode and handed off all duties of speed control to the Brain. 1st bench run, everything armed as normal. When I turned off Throttle Hold, the rotor turned about 1 rotation and quit.

Now... applying power to the Talon, the tones are present... but they are about 1/10th the volume they should be and I get zero rotation out of the motor.

Talon talks to the computer software like nothing is wrong. Talon BEC continues to power everything like normal.

I've tried returning to the original setup using "External Gov" in the Talon... but no dice. Still super soft tones and no motor response.

Where do I go next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience, weak tones have always meant a bad solder connection or some type of poor connection of one of the three motor to ESC wires. It's the motor that makes the sound and it may just be conicedence that this connectivity issue showed up at the point you activated the AR feature.

I would suspect the connector where you recently connected the phase sensor. If all else fails, reflow the solder connections on the ESC and motor bullets, and make sure the male bullet ends are spread enough to make good contact within the female ends.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
In my experience, weak tones have always meant a bad solder connection or some type of poor connection of one of the three motor to ESC wires. It's the motor that makes the sound and it may just be conicedence that this connectivity issue showed up at the point you activated the AR feature.

I would suspect the connector where you recently connected the phase sensor. If all else fails, reflow the solder connections on the ESC and motor bullets, and make sure the male bullet ends are spread enough to make good contact within the female ends.
I was afraid that was going to be the advice. Good grief I hate soldering.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also forgot to mention that you must recalibrate the ESC endpoints when you activate or deactivate the AR function if you haven't done that already.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I also forgot to mention that you must recalibrate the ESC endpoints when you activate or deactivate the AR function if you haven't done that already.
Nope. I didn't know that. Thank you.

I started wiggling motor wires and briefly got a normal loud tone out of the ESC boot cycle. Guess that means I need to break out the soldering station.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Moved the wires around enough to get a good reliable motor run. I can't isolate which is the offending wire yet. I did pull the heatshrink off of all 6 connections and don't see anything obviously wrong. All the soldering is very solid. There is no discoloration on any of the joints or bullet connectors.

Do I need to remove everything and start fresh, or can I just hit each solder with a torch to reflow it? Any other way to troubleshoot other than just wiggling wires?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by j32driver View Post
Moved the wires around enough to get a good reliable motor run. I can't isolate which is the offending wire yet. I did pull the heatshrink off of all 6 connections and don't see anything obviously wrong. All the soldering is very solid. There is no discoloration on any of the joints or bullet connectors.

Do I need to remove everything and start fresh, or can I just hit each solder with a torch to reflow it? Any other way to troubleshoot other than just wiggling wires?
It's clearly a connevtion issue based on you being able to move the wires and resolve it. Sometimes the male bullet connectors can loose their spread and no longer make good contact within the female end if they are of the slotted, spring type, so spread those out a little if you can.

The only other option is to reflow the solder
Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It may be that a connection internal to the motor is bad.
CharlieK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
It may be that a connection internal to the motor is bad.
I've redone the solder on the bullet connectors. When the wires are allowed to hang loose, the motor runs fine. When the wires are secured to the airframe, the motor is dead.

So... it is either internal to the motor, or internal to the ESC. I'm actually betting on the ESC. The wires from the motor don't change much when secured to the airframe, but the wires from the ESC actually get moved quite a bit.

I still have some more investigating to do when I get done traveling, but I suspect I'll send the ESC back to Castle and see if they can find an issue with it.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't the talon have female bullets "on board" aka internally? Or did they change the design?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkin View Post
Doesn't the talon have female bullets "on board" aka internally? Or did they change the design?
Uhhh... no idea! I'm the 2nd owner of this heli and had no idea the Talon was built like that. hmmmmm

I'll dig into this tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Talon line has the female bullets built into the ESC as far I know. Great if you can actually mount the ESC close enough for the motor leads to connect directly, however that isn't the way it works for most, and extensions are needed adding three additional bullet connections and resistance you typically wouldn't need to have potential issues with. One reason I personally would never be interested in using an ESC made like this.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have seen quite a few that have to connectors removed and wires soldered directly to the circuit board. Castle should offer that as a purchase option.

As for me I like the Edge 100 much better as it has all the nice features I like and none of the problems that the Talon 90 has.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
No Talons for me!
Retired2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the help guys. Unfortunately, life happened and I didn't get any heli time today. Hit the road again for another 4 days tomorrow. I'll try again after I get home.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You guys on the forum are awesome! Went to check the bullet connectors at the exit of the Talon and the middle connector on the ESC slid right out. Broken solder internal to the ESC.

So... as the 2nd owner of the Talon, do I:

A) Send the controller back to Castle and see if they will fix it?
B) Tear into the ESC and see if I can figure out how to fix it myself?
C) Chuck it and buy another ESC?

Thoughts gentleman?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since it's over a year old, I'd call Castle and ask what they would charge to repair it...they might offer a discount on a new ESC.

Depending on the outcome of that, I would repair it myself.
If you are confident in your soldering abilities, remove the other two connectors and solder wires to the PCB (like a real ESC) instead.
Retired2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kingmeow has offered to solder the ESC for me. He is going to remove the bullets and solder the wires directly to the board. The ESC shipped out this afternoon.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by j32driver View Post

You guys on the forum are awesome! Went to check the bullet connectors at the exit of the Talon and the middle connector on the ESC slid right out. Broken solder internal to the ESC.

So... as the 2nd owner of the Talon, do I:

A) Send the controller back to Castle and see if they will fix it?
B) Tear into the ESC and see if I can figure out how to fix it myself?
C) Chuck it and buy another ESC?

Thoughts gentleman?
That’s a typical Talon failure. That’s why I would never use a Talon in a helicopter unless I modify it.

The solution is to remove the other two connectors from the circuit board and solder wires direct to the circuit board. You will need a large soldering iron to do that correctly. After that it will be much more reliable than a stock ESC.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in