Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I got a straight 162t and a 16t pinion... LHS didn't have a 17t, so if that won't get me where I need to be I guess I will order 17t
Skibum44 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschenck View Post
stock pinion (12T ?) gives me 3100+ - I'm thinking of stepping down a size. I like the way it flies even at 2700 RPM. Setting it at a max of 2900 would be just fine for me and maybe give me an extra minute on the pack (?)

How can you run 3100+ head-speed with the 12T pinion and slant gear 134T ?

With this combination the max my Castle esc gives me in governor mode is 2450.

any info

Roger P
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I could only assume he is not governing.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I really don't see a reason for this thread! Until the powers that be and I mean power, there would never be a need for a 13 or 14t. The gov needs the head room, but there is no power to get there! not in the time a governor needs. I know it sucks having a pricey speedcontrol, but for now just run 100% lol!
mhills51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I really don't see a reason for this thread! Until the powers that be and I mean power, there would never be a need for a 13 or 14t. The gov needs the head room, but there is no power to get there! not in the time a governor needs. I know it sucks having a pricey speedcontrol, but for now just run 100% lol!
A flat throttle curve is easier on the esc and the batteries. The EFL performs great on a flat curve.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Governer mode is for cooks or lazies....lol...jk.I use the radio throttle curves by feel and sound then double check the castle log files and adjust till its constant under whatever load.Fbl peform better with a constant head speed.Im old school though why buy an expensive radio if you dont use the features.Not sure where there going with all this blue tooth fbl units ect it should be there in the radio$When I think of governer its to keep it under an rpm that will blow a motor in a nitro bird.
Turttle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would disagree the heli makes more power governed @ 2900 than with a flat curve(while also keeping a more consistent headspeed throughout the pack), I was very impressed with what it did. Went from an 11t slant to 12t slant then tried 16\162 governed, same packs and motor, but stepped up the esc to a Castle pheonix 75. I did the try the new esc with a 12t flat, didn't notice much of a difference.
Sowa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aww?I see now what you guys are saying.They dont make a pinion larger than a 12t.Wtf.I am running a 14kv motor I am thinking I nead at least a 14 for a good median between flight time and power.
Turttle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

12t slant had wicked power at 100% but the 16t162 combo is smother and delivers crazy power at expense of a little flight time.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where can I find a 13 or 14T helical pinion?

Any news about a 13t helical pinion yet.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum44 View Post
Any news about a 13t helical pinion yet.
None AFAIK

I'm still running straight cut without troubles
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have recently been looking for a 500 build I am starting. I also have not found anything, and looked hard. I am going to end up having to just switch the main gear to straight in order to get the ratio I need.
jent is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where can I find a 13 or 14T helical pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jent View Post
I have recently been looking for a 500 build I am starting. I also have not found anything, and looked hard. I am going to end up having to just switch the main gear to straight in order to get the ratio I need.
I switched also and now run 2975 RPM governed.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was just looking online and saw a scorpion 3026-1900, would that motor be to hard on the batts? cuz if not with that motor and a nice governing esc you can keep the stock slant main gear and 12th pinion and get the desired headspeed i would assume or did i do the math wrong?
CesarManuel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarManuel View Post
I was just looking online and saw a scorpion 3026-1900, would that motor be to hard on the batts? cuz if not with that motor and a nice governing esc you can keep the stock slant main gear and 12th pinion and get the desired headspeed i would assume or did i do the math wrong?
You can use Mrmel headspeed calc to have a good idea of what headspeed you can run on any setup with or without governor:
http://heli.dacsa.net/calcv3/

With this motor you could run 3450 governed, way too high IMO, your batts are gonna die!
With the available 11T pinion you would run 3150 governed, still a bit high for governed IMO but that would rock for sure
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turttle View Post
Governer mode is for cooks or lazies....lol...jk.I use the radio throttle curves by feel and sound then double check the castle log files and adjust till its constant under whatever load.Fbl peform better with a constant head speed.Im old school though why buy an expensive radio if you dont use the features.Not sure where there going with all this blue tooth fbl units ect it should be there in the radio$When I think of governer its to keep it under an rpm that will blow a motor in a nitro bird.
I disagree, a governor will get you same headspeed and collective response throughout the flight, which the best curves in the world can't do!
The debate is on all out power at the start of the flight vs consistency I think.
I'm not an on the deck smack pilot myself, reason why the governor suits me better.
Handles low headspeed well too. On my IKON I run 2300rpm in normal mode and can still tic toc all day and do climbing flips (with ESP tail gearing), and @ 2900 RPM governed she has some pop!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliBenj View Post
I disagree, a governor will get you same headspeed and collective response throughout the flight, which the best curves in the world can't do!
The debate is on all out power at the start of the flight vs consistency I think.
I'm not an on the deck smack pilot myself, reason why the governor suits me better.
Handles low headspeed well too. On my IKON I run 2300rpm in normal mode and can still tic toc all day and do climbing flips (with ESP tail gearing), and @ 2900 RPM governed she has some pop!
Its just personal preference.One or the other.I prefer my preset curves in the radio.Head speed still stays the same for the first 4-5 min.I get more flight time in the long run even when the pack and head speed drop off and it gives me an indication and a feeling of when to land.Thottle inpute is with out delay dont half to wait for esc to figuere it out and respond and I just prefer it this way.2300 with dfc is on the low side.I am also running dfc with esp tail gearing and thats hovering speed.2600 for basic flight.2900 is max so governer or not headspeed is going to drop.Its just preference.Govern is beneficial for fbl to keep constant headspeed.But ive got my curves down pretty good I think.
I would be interested in hering your ikon settings as far as gain ect.I just got one but have not installed yet.Would like a good starting point if you could share your settings.Reallly in need of a laptop.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not to argue, but only to feed the debate, I still don't agree with 2 points:

Quote:
IThottle inpute is with out delay dont half to wait for esc to figuere it out and respond and I just prefer it this way.2300
When using the Ikon (or other FBL) unit integrated gov, there's no delay because the unit knows your calling for more pitch and will feed additional throttle preventively, just like a precomp, like I assume you are using a pitch to Throttle mix on your radio.This makes for a great gov.

Quote:
2900 is max so governer or not headspeed is going to drop
I'm using 162t main gear and 16t on a 1400kv motor, 2850 is governable from beginning to end of flight with enough headroom, so no bog (with correct packs). I used MrMel headspeed calculator for this. It's all a matter of proper gearing for your application

Quote:
Its just personal preference
There I agree!

Quote:
I would be interested in hering your ikon settings as far as gain ect.I just got one but have not installed yet.Would like a good starting point if you could share your settings
For cyclic I used default gains the software gives you when selecting your heli size, it is working great for me!

On tail I had to adjust main gain in the tx, increase tail precomp a lot (around 80) for pitch and some for cyclic too.
On gov I increased the feedforward for pitch and cyclic also, but that will depend highly on your setup. Bottom line, the default settings corresponding to your heli will be a great starting point. If you plan to use SL, make sure your heli is as vibe free as possible and test high up the first time
Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Benj for the info.And yes I agree using the gov in the fbl is a bit different and more accurate than using it in your esc.Ive never played around with it much I am use to just setting my curves and calling it good with out problems.I may experiment and check it out again.Main reason I never used gov is I liked to set differnt idle ups at the flip of a switch depending on my flying mood.But I do see its getting more advanced and have differnt rpm gov settings that are radio switchable I will half to learn up on it.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TREX 500 DFC MOTOR PINION 13 OR 14T

I have trex 500 dfc combo with xbar and talon 90 (normal NOT HV) and xbar.
I need for problem with tail , to try a 13 or 14 helical motor pinion. You know where I can find it?
Thx
p.s:I need Helical motor pinion not standard motor pinion.
artesina is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in